I'll Try Again - Why are Some 2011-2012 Panny Plasma's Having IR Problems and Other Not? - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 79 Old 08-17-2012, 10:07 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by JorgeLopez11 View Post

Hi Sonyfan.
You're correct. Until yesterday I have'nt used my Panasonic to watch TV programs. So I connected the cable signal and watched History Channel for two hours.
And guess what? The IR is there! eek.gif

speaking of the History Channel if you can get this
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Velocity_%28TV_channel%29

It's my fav chan on TV and when they start up with new programing it's like my crack.
fortunately their logo is only solid white on the tips of the V.
they have a show called Carfellas and it's so damn fun to watch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 79 Old 08-17-2012, 12:24 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 52
Quote:

... Until yesterday I have'nt used my Panasonic to watch TV programs. So I ... watched History Channel for two hours.
And guess what? The IR is there! eek.gif
Fortunately for me, the stupid logo gradually dissapeared (1 or 2 minutes or so),....
In short: The IR is there, but it's duration is still very short, so I wouldn't define it as "a problem"....... I've just discovered that the IR is not a myth... but perhaps is not a problem either... tongue.gif

If you can watch the History (or History 2, for that matter) channel for a couple of hours, and then have the logo IR disappear after "1 or 2 minutes or so" would say your set is performing well. smile.gif

The History channel logo has a reputation as being a particularly difficult one - that is, prone to causing IR - and, up until past the 400 hour mark, two hours of History would have left an after image on our 60ST50 capable of lasting for several hours (or days, if the set wasn't being used often). frown.gif
The "ESPN" and 'Encore HD" logos had the same impact (as have noted in earlier posts).
(Note that the resulting IR in all above situations would have been visible against Light Colored backgrounds - think, for example, of the many Commercials that employ a largely white background these days. Seemed counter-intuitive, given that a Bright White Logo was the most frequent CAUSE of the IR in the first place! Programming with a more varied background hid the IR from view.)

However, between 400-plus to 500 hours this panel became LESS prone to IR - and, particularly, to Medium- to Long-Duration IR - and currently behaves as "expected," based upon other Pan plasma experience.
Have not viewed History channel programming for a while, but watch ESPN & Encore HD enough to feel confident in the change. (Also had Med- to Long-Duration IR from leaving the Uverse "Guide" up on a frequent basis(!): Can still produce IR using the Uverse Guide, but it is now very short-lived.)

For now, agree with your assessment that IR duration is still very short, so I wouldn't define it as "a problem".

Couple notes:
Was reasonably convinced that this panel went through a period of Heightened IR Tendency, from around 250 to 400+ hours. Upon reflection, it seems more likely that we simply did not expose the panel to as many "IR Opportunities" until after the 250 hour mark.
If you develop (or induce....) IR, and then switch to a static screen (such as a break-in slide), the IR will usually hang around a LOT longer than if you run normal programming. Therefore would consider doing so (switching to a break-in slide) a valid test of IR Onset, but NOT of IR Duration.

Have always considered LCD Panels to be a better choice for use as a Large Computer Monitor, or for Gaming - even though a bit of searching around will reveal that "image persistence" is not unknown on LCDs.
Also still have at least one old CRT around here that has Actual Image Burn-In. Certainly, it resulted from Actual Abuse (replaying same image repetitively over the course of several trade shows!) - but the darn thing dates from 1998 (!), so seems fair to say it has Burn-In & not Temp IR....
post #63 of 79 Old 08-17-2012, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Dierkdr,

Thanks for your comments. As you noticed, my TV seems to be OK. In any case my original plan was never to use it for TV programs. And I think one thing is for sure. If you are a gamer or use your TV set as a PC display, you'd better choose LCD or LED technologies, not plasma.
imagic likes this.
post #64 of 79 Old 08-17-2012, 01:34 PM
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1216 Post(s)
Liked: 2477
As a movie-only display, plasma is an unbeatable technology. I thought the 2D presentation from the GT I had was its best feature. I would not claim that my Vizio can replicate the beauty of the cinematic presentation on a good Panasonic plasma in a darkened room. Use your plasma like that and IR is a total non-issue.
Quote:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Dierkdr,
Thanks for your comments. As you noticed, my TV seems to be OK. In any case my original plan was never to use it for TV programs. And I think one thing is for sure. If you are a gamer or use your TV set as a PC display, you'd better choose LCD or LED technologies, not plasma.

Find out more about Mark Henninger at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #65 of 79 Old 08-17-2012, 09:32 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Liked: 27
Quote:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Dierkdr,

Yet, we have people game on them they say for hours, and don't report any problems either.

Michael
post #66 of 79 Old 08-17-2012, 11:36 PM

Liked: 11
The "MENU" text from the OSD is burned into left hand corner of my ST30 frown.gif Spent several hours during the first week trying to get the color settings right but I guess with a plasma you're not allowed to do that.
post #67 of 79 Old 08-18-2012, 05:21 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonyfan View Post

... People need to get into the habit of using the black/white screen wiper EVEN overnight.
The black/white screen wiper is your best defense against IR.

How does one run the black/white screen wiper over night? Mine only runs for 15 minutes. Is the wipe time adjustable?

I can just imagine the look on my boss's face when I call in sick the next morning because I was up all night "wiping" my TV... eek.gif
imagic likes this.
post #68 of 79 Old 08-18-2012, 05:27 AM
Senior Writer @ AVS

Agree 100%. During my time with a GT30 55", I ran the wiper before each feature movie I watched and also at the end of the day if I watched TV. They really should make it a dedicated button on the remote, it should only take one button push to run a short wipe sequence.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7th Angel View Post

How does one run the black/white screen wiper over night? Mine only runs for 15 minutes. Is the wipe time adjustable?
I can just imagine the look on my boss's face when I call in sick the next morning because I was up all night "wiping" my TV... eek.gif

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #69 of 79 Old 08-18-2012, 09:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7th Angel View Post

Sorry I don't know if it's time adjustable if not you have to use one of the downloadable wipers
put it on a usb or dvd. I don't trust any dvd player to serve this purpose for over night wiping
or even long runs for a weekend or vacation.
The Samsung wiper has no time limit. It would be nice if it had it's own button on the remote
and these company's should be more upfront about using it, etc.
post #70 of 79 Old 08-18-2012, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Yeah if I have to wipe the screen every week or two then this set goes back. My time is too valuable and I will live with less blacks and get an E8000
post #71 of 79 Old 08-18-2012, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Since the built in wiper times out why not create some 2 images on a usb pure white and pure black and services slide show to fast and to repeat?
post #72 of 79 Old 08-18-2012, 09:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kluken View Post

Yeah if I have to wipe the screen every week or two then this set goes back. My time is too valuable and I will live with less blacks and get an E8000

It's a part of routine maintenance with plasma and it's not just for IR.
When you see the positive results you will change your mind.
post #73 of 79 Old 08-18-2012, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonyfan View Post

It's a part of routine maintenance with plasma and it's not just for IR.
When you see the positive results you will change your mind.

Sorry don't buy it. My 5 year old PZ58U looks great with no IR and I did not need to baby it
PeterG likes this.
post #74 of 79 Old 08-18-2012, 04:47 PM
Senior Writer @ AVS

Full white is not bright enough on a plasma, it needs to be a moving stripe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kluken View Post

Since the built in wiper times out why not create some 2 images on a usb pure white and pure black and services slide show to fast and to repeat?

post #75 of 79 Old 02-05-2013, 08:43 AM

Liked: 14
If you can get IR from watching a channel with a logo or banner for a couple hours, then what happens when you do so day in and day out? For example, I watch msnbc a few hours a day. Definitely have IR that doesn't go away after watching something else. So I'm concerned because I watch that channel pretty much daily. But for someone who has more varied viewing or mostly watches movies, IR probably isn't an issue.

So maybe its a set by set sort of thing, but until people share their viewing habits we're not really getting an apples-to-apples comparison.

What would be interesting for someone to do is to take a few of the same plasmas, run the same programming, and see what happens. I'm sure Panasonic has done this.
post #76 of 79 Old 02-05-2013, 09:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 428
I have a 65ST30 and just several hours per week of watching The History Channel has caused some very stubborn, yet very slight IR from that logo. I might try just running slides for a few days and see what happens. I mean the IR is barely noticable - you have to look for it on a white background and it can be barely made out.

Note, for the first 500 hours of this set, I ran slides when I was not watching any programs - and when I did watch programs I was very careful to avoid logo stations and letterboxes.

post #77 of 79 Old 02-05-2013, 10:56 AM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
^Never seen that on my Kuro. Makes me hesitant to jump headlong into Panasonic ownership.
post #78 of 79 Old 02-05-2013, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

^Never seen that on my Kuro. Makes me hesitant to jump headlong into Panasonic ownership.

I have an entry level C2 which is almost 3 years old and although I had some minor IR issues with sports tickers when it was new, now that it has some mileage on it, when watching sports, letter boxed content and channel logos etc.., IR isn't even an issue for me.

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

post #79 of 79 Old 02-05-2013, 12:16 PM

Liked: 10
I just ordered a GT50 yesterday. I'm with some others here. If I have to baby the set, it's going back. I ordered it knowing that some Panasonics seem to be great with the lack of IR, while others in the same series have issues. I hope I get one without IR issues. I can handle a few seconds of IR, and I won't be running slides to try and find it, but if it's noticable during normal viewing, it's out. I have a 42" Panasonic that's about 4 years old in my bedroom that has never had a hint of IR.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Plasma Hdtv , Pioneer Pro 141fd 59 6 Elite Kuro Plasma Panel Widescreen 1080p Fullhd , Playstation 3 160gb System , Panasonic Viera Tc P42st30 42 Inch 1080p 3d Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page