I'm sorry but I have to ask....ST50 or GT50 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 08-04-2012, 04:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sorry for asking a question that has been asked before, but I guess each situation is different. I am looking to purchase a new TV in the next day or so. I was pretty much set on the ST50 until I went to Paul's TV and the salesman questioned why in the world I would choose that over the GT50. So is the GT50 worth the extra $500 or so??

The TV would be in a fairly bright room. I watch all forms of content, and I will play a game every now and then but not that big into it. I haven't owned a 3D TV before, but I am kind of excited about being able to watch 3D content so there would be some of that.
Don't know if I need 4 inputs...for now I have a PS3, a DirecTV receiver, and my RX-A1010 receiver. I guess if I need more inputs I can route stuff through the receiver.
As far as PC-input on the GT50, don't quite know what that offers...would I not simply use HDMI??

THX- will it produce a significant change??

Sure, I like the look of the GT50 a little better....but that is not $500 worth of beautification.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2012, 05:07 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 52
Quote:
Sure, I like the look of the GT50 a little better....but that is not $500 worth of beautification.

You're right: ? has been asked before. And the best answer is one that has been given before: It is YOUR money, so you are are only one who can decide what $500 extra should provide.

That seems a high cost differential for same size panels - ??

FWIW: Our choice was a 60ST50 - looks nice enough not to worry about the style of the GT, and would rather take savings & improve other things, even if it is "just" savings account and/or a handful of additional blu-rays....
Old 08-04-2012, 07:52 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Depends on what features on the GT50 you would value or not.
GT has better look/styling, but not really better picture quality.
GT has an extra HDMI port and a VGA port.
If you need more than 3 HDMI inputs, you can use an external HDMI switcher or receiver with internal HDMI switcher too.
Some small notebook PCs have only a VGA port output so that could be useful if you need it hooked up to the plasma, otherwise other PCs have an HDMI port output and that offers higher resolution and quality anyway, so it may not be needed.
GT adds the THX picture modes, but the ST can be calibrated in custom mode to be as good or better picture quality.
GT adds a dual-core CPU for faster internet app response, but I find the ST is plenty fast in the internet apps anyway.

So in my case I decided it was better to save a few hundred dollars with an ST50 instead of a GT50, or you could buy the next larger size ST50 for around the price of a GT50.
Old 08-05-2012, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Thanks for the input...the ST50 it is.

Sometimes it is simply easier if someone tells you what to do biggrin.gif
Old 08-06-2012, 09:11 AM

Liked: 14
But what if you have a bright daytime room, is the brightroom/regular room settings on the GT worthwhile?