Panasonic 50U50 vs. LG 50PA6500 vs. Samsung 51E530? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 08-06-2012, 09:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I'm trying to make a recommendation to a family member about choosing between these two sets. Normally I wouldn't hesitate to recommend a Panasonic but it seems a lot of people are complaining about burn in and other issues this year.

Can anyone offer any insight about which set would be the best bet? Both are priced similarly right now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-06-2012, 12:02 PM

Liked: 10
If they're looking for 3D and other features, I'd go with the LG 50PA6500. The U50 is great in terms of picture quality, but it lacks the features of the LG set. As for the burn-in, it should be similar between these two plasmas.
post #3 of 9 Old 08-06-2012, 12:15 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechFan84 View Post

If they're looking for 3D and other features, I'd go with the LG 50PA6500. The U50 is great in terms of picture quality, but it lacks the features of the LG set. As for the burn-in, it should be similar between these two plasmas.

Just to clarify ... The LG PA6500 does not do 3D , only the 6700/9700 .

*edited*
Ive compared , both instore(s) with a less than steller video feed . Both are close in picture quality imo nice colors and blacks , sharpness was to hard to tell due to the bad feed , but as mentioned the the LG have plenty of video settings for more tweaking ; where as the U50 is pretty limited with the minmal/standard video settings (something I hated with our Panny 80u) .
Its a hard call , and for me the video tweaking and added hdmi kinda wins out for me .

Ive also compare the LG 6500 to the Panny UT50 , and both were close , but at one store the UT50 looked terrible (dull and tons of dithering) to where even the LG 50PA4500 (720P) looked alot nicer . Then compared the 6500 to the ST50 and both were closer in imagee than expected ( but the ST50 definitly won out , but at a 35-40% increase in price) .

If it came down to purely $budget$ , I'd have to go with the LG 6500 .

I miss my old Altec 1590 monoblocks ....
post #4 of 9 Old 08-06-2012, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechFan84 View Post

Even if the 6500 had 3D, this particular family member wouldn't ever be interested in that feature so I think build quality and picture quality would be the two most important factors.

Would this mean the Panasonic would be the better choice?
post #5 of 9 Old 08-06-2012, 01:20 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMUdukes07 View Post

Even if the 6500 had 3D, this particular family member wouldn't ever be interested in that feature so I think build quality and picture quality would be the two most important factors.
Would this mean the Panasonic would be the better choice?

Check out the Samsung 51" PN51E530, it has no 3D or internet apps.
No Image Retention problems on the Samsungs.
They don't need any 'break-in' or baby sitting.
post #6 of 9 Old 08-06-2012, 02:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
What will the tv be used for? If the person is not a hardcore videophile they may not see much of a difference in picture quality among all your choices. Will they have a lot of components to hook up to the tv? The LG has more inputs than the Samsung or Panasonic.
post #7 of 9 Old 08-06-2012, 02:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cv1981 View Post

What will the tv be used for? If the person is not a hardcore videophile they may not see much of a difference in picture quality among all your choices. Will they have a lot of components to hook up to the tv? The LG has more inputs than the Samsung or Panasonic.

Yeah, I don't think they are a huge videophile and I don't think they will have many inputs. I think the set with the best combination of PQ and that is the least likely to have issues would be the best bet.

Right now the Panasonic set is coming with a free Panasonic Blu Ray player for the same price of the others - just want to make sure I'm not recommending a set with a ton of issues.
post #8 of 9 Old 12-07-2012, 05:36 AM

Please excuse me but I need to piggy back this thread.

PLEASE HELP!!! I have the same concerns I am very niave ie home theater tv's ect and have been looking at the panasonic u50 and have been looking at the other 2 as well for family Christmas present.
Through reviews ect i had come to the conclusion that the u50 has better picture quality, which is my most important attribute. Apparently I'm wrong?
Also, shopping for a speaker bar-sub system so another question is if in fact the panasonic has better picture quality, will it's single toslink output work for audio systems?

IN ADVANCE!!!!!THANKS

dan
post #9 of 9 Old 12-07-2012, 05:46 AM

JMUdukes I meant to ask you....would you mind sharing where this free blue ray deal is?

FYI Amazon has the u50 panny @ $649.99 and free shipping. The catch is their out of stock so you have to order to get that price. However they wont charge till they get it in stock.

Ive already ordered mine but may cancel depending on what the other kind avs forum gurus say regarding my previous post and also depending on the deal i asked you to share with me....if you dont mind sharing it.

Thanks
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lg 50pa6500 Plasma Hdtv , Lg 50 Inch Plasma Tv 50pa6500 , Samsung 51 Inch Pn51e530 Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page