Buying up to 50" Plasma today for my mom. looking for last minute advice. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 08-11-2012, 12:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My mom in the span of one week had both her old 36" CRTs die. As a result I am looking to buy a TV today. Originally she was getting my old unused CRTs, but of course her last TV died the weekend no one is around to help move them. As a result I am trying to help pick out a TV for her bedroom. The living room has to wait because of a built in entertainment center that at max can hold a 36" CRT. This is going to be addressed at which point I plan on putting a 55-58" Plasma out there.

The largest she can go is 50" since the space is only 50" wide at most. Also anything larger is overkill for her bedroom since most of her viewing is done in the living room.

It looks like the Panny 50ST50 isn't available locally from Best Buy, and HHGregg looks like they no longer carry Panasonic. Sears says they have one in stock, but their inventory tracker is usually unreliable. I tend to prefer dealing with Best Buy over Sears also.
Best Buy does have the U50 and UT50 in stock. It looks like the main difference is the U50 doesn't have 3D which would be fine since she will never use it. I just don't know picture wise if there is a big difference. I don't know that she would notice coming from a CRT anyway.

I haven't shopped TVs since I bought my 58V10 so I don't know what Samsung offers. It looks like they mainly have 51" sets which with bezel look to be around 47-48" so it would be a tight fit.

She will probably watch a mix of HD and SD unless I upgrade her TV package. She has my old HD TiVos and at least gets the local channels in HD via FiOS. I think she could renew her contract and get all HD channels with their new bottom package though.

If it was your mother, what would you do?

Thanks guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-11-2012, 12:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 37
The ST50 is her best choice, IMO. Have you looked online (Amazon, Cleveland Plasma, Value Electronics)? If you can't get an ST50, the UT50 should be fine as long as she can control the outside ambient light (should be easy to do in a bedroom) since the filters are not as good as in the ST50.
post #3 of 8 Old 08-11-2012, 12:43 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentfreak View Post

My mom in the span of one week had both her old 36" CRTs die..... am trying to help pick out a TV for her bedroom. ....The largest she can go is 50" since the space is only 50" wide at most. .....If it was your mother, what would you do? ...

Would normally think of 50" as being too large for the typical bedroom, but as she (apparently) had a 36" CRT in there previously, a 50" is the size that will probably seem most "natural" to replace a 36" 4:3 set. (Assuming the 36" set was 4:3, AND that a fair amount of 4:3 programming is still being viewed.)

We have a ST50 (60" size), so that tells you what OUR choice for best-bang-for-the-buck is - still, the UT50 has received great reviews, and would also consider the Samsung E6500, which MAY be less prone to IR than the 2012 Panasonics. (IR on our ST50 has become LESS of an issue as the panel has aged.)

If cost is a concern, would also look at the lower model Samsungs, perhaps the Pan U50, or even a LG plasma: even though the reviews have been middling, am impressed by the picture on the LG PA6500 every time I see one.

Would guess that there are a lot of happy owners of any of the 2012 plasma sets: How critical of a view is your Mom??
post #4 of 8 Old 08-11-2012, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks. Yeah normally I think the 50" would be too large but she has a large bedroom so is easily 12 feet from the set when watching in her bed. She could probably get away with smaller but the 43" I think would be too small. She was also finding the 36" CRT too small in her living room.

I have looked online, but unfortunately this would leave her without any TV for several days. Also since this is her first HDTV, I don't want to have to deal with online returns if she hates it for some reason.

I really don't think she is that critical. Of course she called me to ask if her TV was broken when she was watching Saving Hope because of all the lens flare they used. I think anything will look better than the CRT she was using. I mean she still has VHS tapes I think she pops in once and a while. If my 36" CRT wasn't such a pain to move I would just haul that over there, but it is a 2-3 person job.
post #5 of 8 Old 08-11-2012, 02:28 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentfreak View Post

If my 36" CRT wasn't such a pain to move I would just haul that over there, but it is a 2-3 person job.

I had the 36" Sony 36XBR800 and it does weigh (without stand) 200 lbs!
If you want to get rid of it ASAP put it on crigs list for free
and point out the extrame weight and that you WILL NOT HELP
move it and 2 to 3 stong men are needed to move it safely.
post #6 of 8 Old 08-11-2012, 04:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 25
We just bought my mom an LG 50PA4500 and even though it's only 720p I was shocked at how nice the PQ was on it. It has an expert mode where you can make screen calibrations and really get it looking very nice. She mostly watches cable, especially older TV shows anh though most of the SD shows are mediocre the HD programs are quite stunning. And it's only $549 bucks at BB. Just in case you want to save some cash.

post #7 of 8 Old 08-13-2012, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by subavision212 View Post

We just bought my mom an LG 50PA4500 and even though it's only 720p I was shocked at how nice the PQ was on it. It has an expert mode where you can make screen calibrations and really get it looking very nice. She mostly watches cable, especially older TV shows anh though most of the SD shows are mediocre the HD programs are quite stunning. And it's only $549 bucks at BB. Just in case you want to save some cash.

Despite what others on this forum may say about 720p plasmas, if you are willing to spend the time setting them up properly, at normal viewing distances they can still provide a great picture. Enjoy!

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

post #8 of 8 Old 08-13-2012, 01:54 PM

The U50 and UT50 are both fine choices if you can't buy the ST50; the picture quality is still excellent as long as there is not too much light, and the price for them isn't as high as I recall it being (just going by memory).
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P50st50 Plasma Tv , Toshiba 50l2200u 50 Inch 120hz Led Lcd Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P60ut50 Plasma Tv , Displays , Samsung Bd E6500 3d Wifi Blu Ray Disc Player Black
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page