AVS Forum banner

Buy a plasma - while you still can...

2K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Mik James 
#1 ·
#4 ·
If they can get the cost down ?

If they can get the life expectancy up to par ?

If the buying public will simply trade up in this economy that will take years to mend ?

If certain companies can pull out of the red they are currently in ?

Thats a lot of if's and Plasma will probably be around for a long while.

#6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mik James  /t/1424300/buy-a-plasma-while-you-still-can#post_22300696

But the article also states that as Plasmas die out the superior Oled will become affordable
No, that's your optimistic paraphrashing.

Article says, Plasmas will die out. Whether or not OLED matierialises to be more than a pipe dream, let alone to be price competitive in that time period, remains to be seen.

This is no surprise, if you go in the stores you see customers falling over themselves to buy edge lit LCDs, some of them shockingly highly priced IMO, relative to what they deliver in quality.

So in that sort of climate, plasmas are a dead end. Even if OLEDs take a decade to really get anywhere, I agree with the author that plasma's will be actually dead within a half decade. And the TV market will simply consist of the inferior LCDs. Its not so much about the quality, but customers have pretty much no brand loyalty and they are so price sensitive that even a tiny difference in price is enough for them to take a far bigger jump down in image quality.

#8 ·
I'm hoping there's enough loyalists that the technology will stay longer. Most people I know who own plasmas don't want another technology.

Or maybe plasma will just be a "Costco/Sam's Club" type product that stays inexpensive. Even if they made zero improvements from where they are right now, I'd probably still buy plasma in the future. I could easily see them being $600 for a 60" TV.

LCD used to be a joke, but they've definitely improved to the point where I no longer simply dismiss them.

I still greatly prefer the look of plasma, my only issue with them is they usually have reflective screens that don't work in bright rooms.

#9 ·
No i didn't paraphrase, i read the article

"That’s not all. Manufacturing of large-screen OLED-TVs has barely begun, but eventually – not for quite a while, but eventually – it should be possible to manufacture OLED-TVs less expensively that LCD-TVs, and quite possible less than PDP-TVs. Although PDP has significant image-quality advantages over LCD, that is not true for OLED. (OLED does have some remaining technical issues, such as blue lifetime, but they will be resolved.) If the market-share issue is not enough to force the discontinuation of PDP-TV manufacturing, the rise of OLED-TV will be."

If i'm reading this correctly the author states that plasmas will stop selling completely when oled becomes affordable. He seems a little confused though, in what way is an oled panel not significantly better than an lcd?

Oled is pretty well on track for the next year or so and the price will be down significantly in a few years. Plasmas will certianly be dirt cheap in the used market just like crt's were and are for the last 5-6 years. The only difference is Oled is an improvement in nearly all areas.

Of course people buy led lcds in stores have you seen what the plasmas without a filter look like in stores??? it's like looking at a cheap lcd projector with better color.

Plasmas only shine when you get them in a decent environment why would people buy a screen that could have problems with burn in and will draw more power if they don't see the better picture a plasma delivers in stores?

#10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mik James  /t/1424300/buy-a-plasma-while-you-still-can#post_22301885

Plasmas only shine when you get them in a decent environment why would people buy a screen that could have problems with burn in and will draw more power if they don't see the better picture a plasma delivers in stores?

Probably because Plasmas need no "special environment", burn in is mostly urban legend, and nobody really cares if their tv costs $76 or $55 a year to run. Some people know what pastels are and don't watch movies of tomato soup cans.

#11 ·
You'd be surprised how much potential lcd buyers care about power draw. Power is a huge issue these days with people trying to cut down wherever they can. It''s one of the key points that sold people on leds in the first place as well as the improved brightness.

In reality though how much people care about power draw and whether or not burn in is a myth (the concern is there for the uninformed buying based on outdated info) is pretty much irrelevant, they see the tv's for themselves in stores and don't see why some people rave about plasmas because the lighting drops the contrast to 1-4 or so of the led lcd sitting next to it.

The old stories of burn in and the higher power draw is just icing on the cake for them.

To give some insight on my earlier posts about oled, while it may not be viable for quite awhile, it is a step forward for display technology rather than a step backwards.

There is no reason to start a thread saying buy a plasma while you still can as there will be no 10 year period where the new technology has to catch up in alot of areas of image quality.

There is also very little reason why oled and similar new technology won't catch on with people who buy lcd's. They are thin, bright, have low power consumption, and are cost effective (not initially) in a wide variety of sizes, alot of the qualities lcd buyers look for.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.