Panny 55St60
Panny 55St50(gaming)
Sony 55 NX720
Samsung 42 Hpt(Plasma)
Panny 32Viera LCD (TX)
Klipsch surround
Denon HDMI Receiver
Bose Solo
Playstation4(BF4,Madden,Ghosts,NFS,KZ,FIFA)
XBox360
Ipad 1 & 2
Iphone 5S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 08-13-2012, 12:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
What model is that?
post #3 of 14 Old 08-13-2012, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 28
55 ST50

Panny 55St60
Panny 55St50(gaming)
Sony 55 NX720
Samsung 42 Hpt(Plasma)
Panny 32Viera LCD (TX)
Klipsch surround
Denon HDMI Receiver
Bose Solo
Playstation4(BF4,Madden,Ghosts,NFS,KZ,FIFA)
XBox360
Ipad 1 & 2
Iphone 5S
post #4 of 14 Old 08-13-2012, 01:55 PM

Liked: 10
Great choice, it's definitely one of the best HDTV models available at the moment.
post #5 of 14 Old 08-13-2012, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 342
Is there a purpose to this thread?

Ian confused.gif

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

post #6 of 14 Old 08-13-2012, 04:19 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post

Is there a purpose to this thread?
Ian confused.gif

Yes. He will bash it on several different perceived shortcomings and end up returning it. It will be entertaining in a twisted kind of way.
post #7 of 14 Old 08-13-2012, 04:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 19
"They ain't bright ...

Plasma whites aren't LCD - LED whites ... hockey can look dim ...sometimes grey - why is this ? why can't they get WHITE ? like the screen I'm typing on now is ..WHITE , bright & vibrant ...

They seem to do Sports real well .... movies is where they shine - just really beautiful PQ ....even on some lesser Plasma's ...

Am I correct in saying that the Videophile - the CNET guy ...aren't sports fans ...aren't ESPN fans...aren't big regular HDTV fans ....but more the kinda guy who watches 10+Blu Rays a week ?

Right ?

So when we read these glowing reviews about Plasma's ...about their black levels etc...these are basically the views of film buffs correct?

So in theory is it really fair to just assume they're correct in naming "fill in the blank Panny Plasma " the best PQ every year? based on what ? Blu Ray?

Is it me doesn't THX mode make sports etc look terrible? dark ? dim? I'm not being negative , I just want to know, am I not appreciative of the colors?>

I do have 20/30 vision , so I have eyesight aided by glasses and I know we all see different.

I was in BB today mulling and mulling...staring at a VT50 and a GT50 and my eye always drifted to the LED on a white scene ....I believe it was the Panny LED....

Maybe I'm a moth "

Or mabe confused....you did start the above thread,did you not?
post #8 of 14 Old 08-13-2012, 04:24 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwiss View Post

Yes. He will bash it on several different perceived shortcomings and end up returning it. It will be entertaining in a twisted kind of way.

one can only encourage Mr Flair to use Vivid mode, full contrast and play games on it right away.............
post #9 of 14 Old 08-13-2012, 04:57 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 27
Congrats! Enjoy the new ST50. It's the top value HDTV this year.

Michael
post #10 of 14 Old 08-13-2012, 06:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:

I'm with you but I'll take it a bit further and say that I won't believe it until I see him post a receipt and picture of the tv .

post #11 of 14 Old 08-13-2012, 07:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by hodges69 View Post

"They ain't bright ...
Plasma whites aren't LCD - LED whites ... hockey can look dim ...sometimes grey - why is this ? why can't they get WHITE ? like the screen I'm typing on now is ..WHITE , bright & vibrant ...
They seem to do Sports real well .... movies is where they shine - just really beautiful PQ ....even on some lesser Plasma's ...
Am I correct in saying that the Videophile - the CNET guy ...aren't sports fans ...aren't ESPN fans...aren't big regular HDTV fans ....but more the kinda guy who watches 10+Blu Rays a week ?
Right ?
So when we read these glowing reviews about Plasma's ...about their black levels etc...these are basically the views of film buffs correct?
So in theory is it really fair to just assume they're correct in naming "fill in the blank Panny Plasma " the best PQ every year? based on what ? Blu Ray?
Is it me doesn't THX mode make sports etc look terrible? dark ? dim? I'm not being negative , I just want to know, am I not appreciative of the colors?>
I do have 20/30 vision , so I have eyesight aided by glasses and I know we all see different.
I was in BB today mulling and mulling...staring at a VT50 and a GT50 and my eye always drifted to the LED on a white scene ....I believe it was the Panny LED....
Maybe I'm a moth "
Or mabe confused....you did start the above thread,did you not?

The reason a plasma is usually named the top display each year is a combination of factors that when put together out weigh the strengths of led lcds.

Plasma: Overall accuracy, deep and steady black levels, near perfect viewing angles, bright enough for most people and situations, best value for dollar.

Led lcd: brighter than anyone would ever need, can be made extremely thin, can have deep black levels in sets with local dimming but are often inconsistent especially on edgelit models, has very low power draw but you would have to run it for many years to break even against the lower prices of plasmas (at least 10 years average viewing)

You can see that most of the current crop of led lcd's strengths don't actually have much to do with overall picture quality at all but more to do with convenience. There are of course great lcds out there but they will run you 2-4 times the cost of a comparable plasma.

I for one don't see what people have to complain about, whether it be crt, plasma or lcd I have never owned a display that i would call dim even in a lit room and that includes a 2008 Panny plasma (they've likely improved since then tongue.gif ) Bright daytime tv viewing isn't something I care much about, as long as I can see what's on the screen it doesn't matter, if i want to be immersed in something however alot of ambient light is a tad counter productive.

Also the reason plasmas don't like to show blinding brightness is because they would "cook" in the process, manufacturers have worked to improve the achievable brightness with good results though.
post #12 of 14 Old 08-13-2012, 10:11 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mik James View Post

I for one don't see what people have to complain about, whether it be crt, plasma or lcd I have never owned a display that i would call dim even in a lit room and that includes a 2008 Panny plasma (they've likely improved since then tongue.gif ) Bright daytime tv viewing isn't something I care much about, as long as I can see what's on the screen it doesn't matter, if i want to be immersed in something however alot of ambient light is a tad counter productive.

I think the LCD/LED TV manufacturers have now gone overboard with brightness. It is like staring into headlights. I was literally blinded at Best Buy, and had to look away towards the Samsung plasma so I could see what they were showing. Funny thing is, once I got 45 degrees off center, the plasma was actually brighter! Those LCD TVs really are like headlights.smile.gif

Michael
post #13 of 14 Old 08-14-2012, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 507
Quote:

He has already started that process with a new thread.

65VT60(Calibrated by Chad B)
55ST60(Calibrated by Chunon)
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast/I1Pro/I1D3
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
post #14 of 14 Old 08-14-2012, 02:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Please post your comments in the owner's threads. You've got multiple threads concering this TV

"Retired" AVS Moderator
Closed Thread Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P55st50 55 Inch Plasma Tv , Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page