In the market for a Plasma - been about 5 years since I was last in the market - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 08-13-2012, 09:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a 50" Pioneer from 2007 the year before the KURO came out, it is an amazing TV and i have been saddened that Pioneer does not make Plasma's anymore

So who makes a comperable 50" Plasma to what Pioneer used to make - I have their base line not Elite series Pioneer - In the future this TV will probably go into a bar area as a monitor only or into a guest room, however I do need sound for it right now, it cannot be display only

Other choice is shipping a small TV across the country, which i would rather invest the money into something that will last long term vs being out the shipping fee with no product

Is Panasonic the only company making plasmas?

I am assuming LCD's blacks are not as strong as plasmas so the picture will still be best with plasma?

For the moment this TV does not need to be 3D compatable if that is even a feature with plasma, unless it is standard, if it is more expensive option, it isnt relavent because we go all out in the next year or two with a 60"

Any advice is appreciated - I do not have any price restrictions, just trying to determine if it is worth pulling the trigger now or waiting another year and using a 32" Toshiba LCD and shipping that to a temporary location for 1 year
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2012, 10:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Pioneer has a new 70" Elite model out....it's a shot rodded Sharp....anyway it's around $7500 and looks very nice.

Mikes Stuff
McIntosh MC207 Amps.........................DarbyVision Darblet
Marantz AV8801 Processor.................Da-Lite Screen
Klipsch Reference Series 7.2................Panasonic BluRay BDT500
Epson Pro 6010 Projector.....................Sony Playstation used for SACD and BluRay
Old 08-13-2012, 10:33 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
That is a bit too large for my current needs, however that is good to know a year or two down the road
Old 08-13-2012, 10:59 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 27
Panasonics VT50 series is said to be comparable or near comparable to the Kuro. Samsung and LG also make plasmas, but the picture quality is not as good. I doubt you would be disappointed with the VT50. It's taken Panasonic a number of years to get to this point, but it looks like they finally arrived.

Michael
Old 08-14-2012, 02:35 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31
There are still 3 manufacturers of plasma HDTVs in 2012: Panasonic, Samsung, and LG.
Panasonic's VT50 series won the highest rating in recent calibrator reviews with the darkest blacks of plasmas.

Tags
Plasma Hdtv , Pioneer , Lcd Hdtv , Toshiba , Elite , Sharp Elite Black 70inch Pro 70x5fd Flat Panel 3d Led Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P55vt50
Gear in this thread