VT50 vs HX929 for my specific requirements - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 08-15-2012, 07:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I had posted this in the LCD/LED forum and am posting this in the Plasma forum too just in case there are folks who don't visit both the forums and since my question is not specific to a particular TV technology. Sorry for the repetition.

Thanks for all the wealth of information that I have been able to gather from this forum. I wanted to see if I could get recommendations and thoughts on the best HDTV for my specific requirements.

- The TV will be placed in a 2 level family room with light from all three sides and from 2 stories high, so reflections and visibility in bright light is a strong consideration
- I will be watching both HD and SD channels equally along with DVD content
- Price is not so much of a consideration
- After initial calibration, I would prefer to leave the TV on just one setting for all SD/HD and daytime/nighttime viewing

From all my reading, I gather that the Sony XBR HX929 and the Panasonic VT50 are good options. I would appreciate any advice on which should be my preferred model. Also, are there any other models that would suit my requirements better (except the Sharp Elite - I don't want to stretch my budget that far)?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 08-15-2012, 09:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Sounds like the hx 929 is the best option for an environment with that much light. The only way to know otherwise is to go look at the vt50 on a bright showroom floor, if it is bright enough for you there then it should be bright enough for your viewing environment and it would provide a better overall picture.

When you say other options and you also say price is no object aside from the 7000$ Elite, i assume you are asking if there is anything out there that would perform better in the price range rather than is their a budget model out there that may perform similarly. My answer to that is no not that I know off. You've pretty much picked the best 2 models from the lcd and plasma sides without spending outrageous amounts of money for an elite.
alwaysBrowsing likes this.
post #3 of 13 Old 08-15-2012, 09:16 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your response. Yes, I did look at the VT50 in a best buy magnolia showroom, and since it was a dark environment, I couldn't judge whether the the brightness would be ok.

I am probably buying a large TV (most likely 55'') only once for the next 5 years, so price is not so much a concern for me. I may consider a budget model that performs almost as good as these two models if it is SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper or a TV that performs better if it is not significantly more expensive.

Thanks again.
post #4 of 13 Old 08-16-2012, 11:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 145
The HX929 is a great set. Many would argue (pros included) that it's better than the Sharp Elite.

The VT50 can get pretty bright and it has a very good filter, but the HX929 will be able to easily reach higher brightness levels. Only issues would be viewing angles and some minor blooming that might be noticeable in a darker room. If you do more viewing in bright lighting conditions and viewing angles won't be much of an issue, I would have to go with the HX929. Otherwise the VT50 performs better in dark-to-semi-bright rooms and obviously has better viewing angles.
post #5 of 13 Old 08-17-2012, 07:42 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 448
I almost bought a 55HX929 a couple of times last year but ultimately held off to see how the 2012 Panasonics performed. The 2012 pannys are definitely brighter than the 2011 Pannys and after i bought my GT50 a few months ago it confirmed to me that they're plenty bright enough for my bright room during the daytime even with the screen brightness setting set to Middle and Contrast set to 80%.

The issue in a bright room is more during dark scenes than during bright scenes. The Panasonic (and Samsung) Plasmas are bright enough to punch through the ambient light filling the room, but in dark scenes the dark areas will show reflections during the day on any TV that doesn't have a matte screen. I watch some sports and a lot of Speed Channel racing on the weekends and am never left wanting for more brightness, but if i were watching a movie with dark scenes then the HX929 would have been similarly mirror-like during the day. It doesn't really matter how bright these TVs can do as nobody ever maxes out their screen brightness - there's no need with any of these TVs.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR605, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #6 of 13 Old 08-17-2012, 08:12 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Rahzel and RandyWalters. That was very good and informative advice.
post #7 of 13 Old 08-17-2012, 08:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 36
A couple of budget models on the plasma side that will perform nearly as well gt50 and possibly st50 (might be to big a jump for you, though certianly nothing to scoff at)

I can't really think of many good models on the lcd side of things that are significantly cheaper, is it just me biggrin.gif

You really have to look at what will bother you more, with glossy gorilla glass screens, the sony's may be more bothersome than a vt50 for some whiles others may be bothered by the vt50's brightness levels.
post #8 of 13 Old 08-17-2012, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mik James View Post

You really have to look at what will bother you more, with glossy gorilla glass screens, the sony's may be more bothersome than a vt50 for some whiles others may be bothered by the vt50's brightness levels.
This pretty much sums it up. Some people are more bothered by the lack of brightness rather than glare. The VT50's filter is very good at reducing glare, but on the flip side, the brightness would be borderline for such bright lighting conditions (and the 2012 Samsung's wouldn't be bright enough IMO). Shadow detail is affected in bright rooms, but this can always be brought out with a lower gamma or higher brightness setting. Strictly in terms of picture/performance, the VT50 wins.
post #9 of 13 Old 08-17-2012, 09:26 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 49
The Panny is my choice hands down , because they are much cheaper with picture quality that rivals the best of the best any day.

Panny vs Sony.......................Panny more bank for the buck.
post #10 of 13 Old 08-17-2012, 01:02 PM

Liked: 22
I've been impressed with the picture from the Sony Bravia's in the stores. If someone put a gun to my head and made me buy an LCD TV, that is the one I would consider. The electronics behind the picture seem to be better in the Sony than other brands, including Panasonic. My old 2005 Philips 50" Ambilight plasma had better picture processing than my new TC-P55GT50.
post #11 of 13 Old 08-17-2012, 01:33 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the insight. I am currently inclined towards the Sony. I am trying to replace my current 6 year old panasonic plasma that does not have any anti-glare or anti-reflection. While I have thoroughly enjoyed this TV, what has bothered me most has been the inadequate brightness in lighted conditions (more so than the reflective nature of the screen). And I have rarely watched the TV in a dark theatre-like environment. I am tending to think that the VT50's perfect picture is only noticeable in a dark environment. The only reason why I am still not certain yet about going with the sony is the viewing angle limitation.

More contemplation...
post #12 of 13 Old 08-17-2012, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysBrowsing View Post

Thanks for all the insight. I am currently inclined towards the Sony. I am trying to replace my current 6 year old panasonic plasma that does not have any anti-glare or anti-reflection. While I have thoroughly enjoyed this TV, what has bothered me most has been the inadequate brightness in lighted conditions (more so than the reflective nature of the screen). And I have rarely watched the TV in a dark theatre-like environment. I am tending to think that the VT50's perfect picture is only noticeable in a dark environment. The only reason why I am still not certain yet about going with the sony is the viewing angle limitation.
More contemplation...
The 2012 Panasonic plasmas are brighter than ever and are some of the brightest plasmas ever made. Still, they max out around 45-55fL (measured brightness in foot lamberts) which would be borderline in your lighting conditions IMO.
post #13 of 13 Old 08-17-2012, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahzel View Post

The 2012 Panasonic plasmas are brighter than ever and are some of the brightest plasmas ever made. Still, they max out around 45-55fL (measured brightness in foot lamberts) which would be borderline in your lighting conditions IMO.
I guess I really need to check again in the showroom. Planned to do that this weekend. Thanks again.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page