Breaking in and calborating Panasonic 55st50 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 08-15-2012, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi All,
So I just got my tv and it's plugged in now. I am anal about my picture quality and I would like to get this right the first time. I know many will say get a professional to calibrate my tv but I want to see how far I can get myself. For the for 150+hrs on the TV, should I run a breakin DVD? Is so, where can I find one? Also, can anyone recommend a good calibration cd? I noticed AVS FD 709 and might give it a try.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 08-15-2012, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viperlx View Post

Hi All,
So I just got my tv and it's plugged in now. I am anal about my picture quality and I would like to get this right the first time. I know many will say get a professional to calibrate my tv but I want to see how far I can get myself. For the for 150+hrs on the TV, should I run a breakin DVD? Is so, where can I find one? Also, can anyone recommend a good calibration cd? I noticed AVS FD 709 and might give it a try.

AVS709 is good disk and can be downloaded for free, Disney WOW gets high marks also but is not free. I personally don't believe in the break in stuff, just keep your settings conservative watch varied content the first 100 to 150 hours you should be fine. Your set will improve alot in that time. After about 200 hours you should be able to dial in some pretty good settings. Good luck

65VT60
55ST60
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
post #3 of 12 Old 08-15-2012, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post

AVS709 is good disk and can be downloaded for free, Disney WOW gets high marks also but is not free. I personally don't believe in the break in stuff, just keep your settings conservative watch varied content the first 100 to 150 hours you should be fine. Your set will improve alot in that time. After about 200 hours you should be able to dial in some pretty good settings. Good luck

I agree I adjusted using S&M disc and D-Nice settings without slides and watched TV thats what I bought it for and I still think it has the best picture
that I have ever owned .

i
post #4 of 12 Old 08-16-2012, 06:04 AM - Thread Starter

thanks guys. I am going to run a breakin video over the weekend since I will be out of town. It won't hurt to accelerate the process a bit.
post #5 of 12 Old 08-16-2012, 06:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by oztech View Post

I agree I adjusted using S&M disc and D-Nice settings without slides and watched TV thats what I bought it for and I still think it has the best picture
that I have ever owned .
i
So you didn't do break in ?

Panny 55St60
Panny 55St50(gaming)
Sony 55 NX720
Samsung 42 Hpt(Plasma)
Panny 32Viera LCD (TX)
Klipsch surround
Denon HDMI Receiver
Bose Solo
Playstation4(BF4,Madden,Ghosts,NFS,KZ,FIFA)
XBox360
Ipad 1 & 2
Iphone 5S
post #6 of 12 Old 08-16-2012, 06:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicFlair View Post

So you didn't do break in ?

That is correct I opened up the carton set up the TV in custom mode with D-Nice's no slide settings and put in a Spears & Munsil set up disc and tweaked it a little and watched TV .
Stayed up the next night and did color bar settings for OTA and Uverse and have been watching an outstanding picture ever since with no issues.
I should add as with all my electronics I let them acclimate to room temperature and warm up which is usually an hour before final tweaking.
post #7 of 12 Old 08-16-2012, 06:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 498
As OzTech states it is not required, I have never done it on any of the plasmas I have owned. Now if you are trying to use Dnices post breakin settings then yes you should age the panel with his slides to get the best results.

65VT60
55ST60
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
post #8 of 12 Old 08-16-2012, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post

As OzTech states it is not required, I have never done it on any of the plasmas I have owned. Now if you are trying to use Dnices post breakin settings then yes you should age the panel with his slides to get the best results.

when you say "age". do you mean the first 100hrs of breakin or 1 hour warmup?
post #9 of 12 Old 08-16-2012, 03:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 61
He meant 100 or so hours:)
post #10 of 12 Old 08-16-2012, 03:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Quote:

Hi All,

you can use the AVSHD709 disc right away to do a basic calibration, just be sure to recheck everything after the first 100-150 hours or so

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #11 of 12 Old 08-16-2012, 03:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 198
I am not one to believe in copying settings (and most calibrators pro or not don't recommend it either), so I don't think using D-Nice's settings is a good idea. I'd either do a simple disc only calibration myself, hire a pro, or get a meter/software and do a full calibration myself. If fact, I do my own calibrations with a C6 colorimeter and CalMAN software and will be getting a used i1Pro spectro to profile it with soon.

post #12 of 12 Old 08-16-2012, 06:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

when you say "age". do you mean the first 100hrs of breakin or 1 hour warmup?

He has two sets of settings one using slides with breakin and the other set as is and run it ,as for tweaking I personally like the set to be on an hour whether it be Plasma,LCD or CRT.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P55st50 55 Inch Plasma Tv
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page