Are Non-3D Plasmas available? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 08-18-2012, 08:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Everything I've read points to my getting a plasma display, probably around 50" to 54". And it seems Samsung & LG have the highest reviews / ratings. Unfortunately, almost every unit reviewed is 3D, which I find to be a useless gimmick. Even the Japanese won't touch 3D televisions. So, any suggestions for a good plasma display, especially one that will last more than three years, like CRTs do?
Thank you.

Für Elise  Support the Heart & Breast Cancer Foundations
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 08-18-2012, 08:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 31
You won't pay less for a plasma non-3D, they are already cheaper than last year. Just don't buy any glasses.Any plasma should last way over 3 years, under normal use. Go for a Panasonic 55" from $1000 to $2000 depending on the model. Even the cheap one is very good and all have 3D.

Standard Definition Causes Lung Cancer, Heart Disease, Emphysema, And May Complicate Pregnancy
post #3 of 13 Old 08-18-2012, 09:38 PM

Liked: 16
There are plenty of sub $1k plasmas in the size range with/without 3D that have good reviews. The 51" Samsung I have being delivered tomorrow was just over $800. It happens to be a 3D that comes with glasses, but like the other poster stated...just don't use them. Also if you want the best plasma, IMHO I would suggest to look at Panasonic.

Mitsubishi WD-92842, Onkyo HT-S9400THX, Oppo BDP-93, XBOX 360 w/Kinect, XBOX (modded), WD My Book Essential, FiOS Bundle
post #4 of 13 Old 08-18-2012, 10:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 136
There a few non-3D plasmas this year. Since 3D is a pretty standard feature nowadays (you don't pay extra for it), non-3D models are of the lower-end designation.

Panasonic TC-P50U50: 50"
Samsung PNxxE530: 51", 60" - This model uses a Pentile subpixel arrangement and tends to look slightly jagged
LG PA5500/6500: 50:, 60"

The Panasonic will tend to look the best out of the three, but only comes in 50". If you step up to Panasonic's next model, the UT50, you get a choice of 55". Step up to the ST50 and you get a really effective anti-glare filter.

Note that any of the non-3D models have no AR filter and will glare like crazy under the right conditions, especially the LG.

ht Panasonic 60" ZT60, Monitor Audio: Silver RX6, RX Centre, RX1; Martinlogan Dynamo 700, Marantz SR5006, PS3, Oppo BDP-103D, Panamax M-5100PM
2ch Sony 32" W650A, Sonus faber Toy Monitor, REL T3, Marantz PM8004, Sony BDP-S1000ES, JVC T-X3 tuner, Apple TV, Peachtree Audio DAC•iT, Panamax MR4300
pc Monitor Audio Radius 90HD, Audioengine D1, FiiO A1
+ Sony 65" XBRX850B, Sony BDP-S5100
post #5 of 13 Old 08-19-2012, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 357
If your room has controlled lighting and glare isn't an issue for you, you can save a few bucks with a 2D plasma TV. I've seen Panasonic U50's which offer a terrific picture for about $700.00 including shipping. In the coming weeks, in order to compete with internet sales, certain select retailers will be offering sales on 50'' non 3D sets for about $600.00 including tax! (I get the up and up since I use to supply car audio/video products to local retailers) Bottom line, if you shop around, there are and will be some very affordable options from authorized dealers, if you're not interested in 3D.

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

post #6 of 13 Old 08-26-2012, 12:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I just got the Samsung 60E550 from Amazon the other day and you can shut the 3D off. Actually, it doesn't come on unless you hit the 3D button. FWIW, I bitched endlessly about 3D and how it has always given me headaches, but this set is pretty cool. After setting it up I turned on People's Court and turned on 3D to check it out. I was quite impressed, so I had to watch for awhile. Since then we've watched a couple 3D movies which were also good. I never use the 3D otherwise.

As for glare, a lot of people have complained about it, but my living room has 2 patio doors and 2 windows and I can see reflections in it if I look for them, but I don't, I just watch the show and never notice any problem at all. I would think that if you're going to obsess over something then you're always going to have a problem, no matter what you buy?

If you think you're going to have a problem with glare then a lot of people buy the E6500 for a couple hundred more (at least in the 60 inch version). It doesn't have a swivel stand though, which was a must for me. But it does have the anti-glare coating and the Pure Black settings.
post #7 of 13 Old 08-26-2012, 08:25 AM

Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Straybeat View Post

I just got the Samsung 60E550 from Amazon the other day and you can shut the 3D off. Actually, it doesn't come on unless you hit the 3D button. FWIW, I bitched endlessly about 3D and how it has always given me headaches, but this set is pretty cool. After setting it up I turned on People's Court and turned on 3D to check it out. I was quite impressed, so I had to watch for awhile. Since then we've watched a couple 3D movies which were also good. I never use the 3D otherwise.
As for glare, a lot of people have complained about it, but my living room has 2 patio doors and 2 windows and I can see reflections in it if I look for them, but I don't, I just watch the show and never notice any problem at all. I would think that if you're going to obsess over something then you're always going to have a problem, no matter what you buy?
If you think you're going to have a problem with glare then a lot of people buy the E6500 for a couple hundred more (at least in the 60 inch version). It doesn't have a swivel stand though, which was a must for me. But it does have the anti-glare coating and the Pure Black settings.

The E6500 does swivel and that is confirmed by reviews, amazon.com purchaser comments, samsung's site and purchasers in the PNXXE7000-PNXXE8000 thread here. I know Amazon.com's site says it doesn't but this appears to be another case where they don't have the specs correct.

Edit: Go to the comment by Ryo from a verfied owner of the 6500: http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-PN60E6500-60-Inch-1080p-Plasma/product-reviews/B0077T0TUS
post #8 of 13 Old 09-01-2012, 12:27 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, all. As 3D is worthless and just another gimmick to go wrong, I'll look at the Panny. Several sites have it fo $700 right now.
And oonly a three year life? Screw that. My 15 year old 32" CRT is still going strong. Well, assuming it's the COAX cable that's bad.

post #9 of 13 Old 09-01-2012, 01:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 40
You seem fixated on the 3-year life. The only one claiming that is you. As stated by slimoli 2 weeks ago, plasmas should last way longer than 3 years. By the time your plasma fails, it should be time for a new technology any way (10+ years from now). IMO, Panasonic has the best reliability of the plasma manufacturers, and it universally gets the best reviews (not sure what reviews you are looking at).
post #10 of 13 Old 09-01-2012, 08:18 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilBro View Post

Thanks, all. As 3D is worthless and just another gimmick to go wrong, I'll look at the Panny. Several sites have it fo $700 right now.

The only non-3D TVs these days are all entry level models. It's pretty much become standard equipment on mid-to-high-end models now. The ones that are 3D capable are higher end and have better processing and colors and black levels etc, and sometimes more picture adjustments so they typically have better 2D picture quality even if you never ever use the 3D feature. Having 3D capability doesn't make the TV less reliable or more prone to failing so if you're like the 90% of us here who have no interest in 3D, just do what we do and buy a good set that happens to be 3D capable and just don't use the 3D feature, just as you would not use the Vivid picture mode or use the motion smoother feature or the pixel orbiter feature.

Quote:
And oonly a three year life? Screw that. My 15 year old 32" CRT is still going strong. Well, assuming it's the COAX cable that's bad.

Panasonic rates their Plasma panels' lifespan at 100,000 hours, which is like 30 years if the TV is on for 8 hours a day, every day. CRTs on the other hand were typically rated for only 30,000 hours, so Plasmas last more than 3 times longer. I don't know where you're getting the 3-year thing from, but forget about it. My first plasma (from 2005) is on every single day for a few hours in the mornings and for 5+ hours every evening and has been working flawlessly for over 7 years now.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #11 of 13 Old 09-01-2012, 10:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

The only non-3D TVs these days are all entry level models.

Just my 2 cents, but I wouldn't exactly call the U series ''entry level'', that label should go to the 720p's like the X series and new offerings like the 720p 3D display, which for me makes no sense. Lets face it, today you can get a full HD 1080p pdp for not much more then what you paid a couple of years ago for a 720p bare bones set. These TV's may not have AR filters and all the bells and whistles of the higher end displays, but they still offer a good picture and a great bang for the buck, especially if you are on a budget.

Cheers2.gif
Cheers!

Ian

post #12 of 13 Old 09-02-2012, 07:26 PM - Thread Starter

After reading beau coup reviews, forums, and what-not, I'm planning on snagging a Panny TP50U50.

BTW - I looked at several 720p sitting cheek by jowl with 1080p screens. I was surprised how jagged the 720s looked next to the 1080s.

post #13 of 13 Old 09-02-2012, 10:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilBro View Post

After reading beau coup reviews, forums, and what-not, I'm planning on snagging a Panny TP50U50.
BTW - I looked at several 720p sitting cheek by jowl with 1080p screens. I was surprised how jagged the 720s looked next to the 1080s.

There are some really good deals on the U50, so seek and ye will find. biggrin.gif As far as the 720p's, what your probably referring to is either the screen door effect, or double down scaling, which is common with these sets when they're not displayed from their source properly.

Ian

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page