Generally accepted views on Plasma vs LED TVs - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 20 Old 08-21-2012, 09:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I've now had two 64" high-end Samsung Plasma TVs (D6500 and an E7000) and both have demonstrated different, unacceptable problems. The newest E is starting to make Plasma Screen noise. I've always assumed a Plasma TV has the best picture of the currently available technologies. Don't want to start a war, take a poll, etc. I just want to be sure that is generally the view or if the latest/greatest LED could be close to plasma now. They are more expensive, but at this point I just want a TV that freaking works and looks at least as good as these two Samsungs.

Secondly, although I realize not all Plasma displays make noise, in the ones that do, it is because it is the nature of the technology, correct? And that LED/LCD displays do not have this problem.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 08-21-2012, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt5094 View Post

I've now had two 64" high-end Samsung Plasma TVs (D6500 and an E7000) and both have demonstrated different, unacceptable problems. The newest E is starting to make Plasma Screen noise. I've always assumed a Plasma TV has the best picture of the currently available technologies. Don't want to start a war, take a poll, etc. I just want to be sure that is generally the view or if the latest/greatest LED could be close to plasma now. They are more expensive, but at this point I just want a TV that freaking works and looks at least as good as these two Samsungs.
Secondly, although I realize not all Plasma displays make noise, in the ones that do, it is because it is the nature of the technology, correct? And that LED/LCD displays do not have this problem.

are you referring to the dithering of blacks?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 20 Old 08-21-2012, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post

are you referring to the dithering of blacks?

Hm, I thought maybe he meant buzzing because he listed Samsung and so many people say they buzz. Good question. What kind of noise, Bullitt?
post #4 of 20 Old 08-22-2012, 06:14 AM - Thread Starter

The problem with the latest TV is a buzzing noise.

post #5 of 20 Old 08-22-2012, 06:19 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have a D and an E 6500 with no buzz.(Touch wood).Excellent pics,standard,mediocre sound and heat from the display.
Straybeat likes this.

WAP 16.

post #6 of 20 Old 08-22-2012, 07:04 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies but my questions are (1) is the noise problem inherent to plasma displays? I know more than one brand has this problem on some sets and that it isn't a problem with every plasma display. (2) Are the new LCD TVs close to the quality of the high-end plasma TVs? Seems they are less problem prone. I'm just tired of dealing with defective expensive TVs!

post #7 of 20 Old 08-22-2012, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 45
All plasmas are going to emit some audible noise, how noticeable depends on several factors.
1. The quality of the panel.
2. Whether that particular unit may be louder than another, often an issue for Samsung.
3. Acuity of hearing or a combination of that and how close you sit.

On the whole I have found that Panasonic panels are pretty quiet. You have to be pretty close to hear them but the fans on some models may become more pronounced in a warm space.

In regards to overall picture quality performance, plasma is still king. LCDs with LED backlighting are getting better but until manufacturers increase the density of LED arrays are move back to actual backlights rather than edglite they will continue to have contrast, brightness, and uniformity issues.

Best Regards
KvE

PS The only possible tech that potentially has none of the shortcomings of either plasma or LCD is OLED. Hopefully soon that tech's shortcomings and high cost will be resolved soon.

Politics is like a corral, no matter where you are you'll always be shovelling it.

post #8 of 20 Old 08-22-2012, 12:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMFDMvsEnya View Post

All plasmas are going to emit some audible noise, how noticeable depends on several factors.
1. The quality of the panel.
2. Whether that particular unit may be louder than another, often an issue for Samsung.
3. Acuity of hearing or a combination of that and how close you sit.
On the whole I have found that Panasonic panels are pretty quiet. You have to be pretty close to hear them but the fans on some models may become more pronounced in a warm space.
In regards to overall picture quality performance, plasma is still king. LCDs with LED backlighting are getting better but until manufacturers increase the density of LED arrays are move back to actual backlights rather than edglite they will continue to have contrast, brightness, and uniformity issues.
Best Regards
KvE
PS The only possible tech that potentially has none of the shortcomings of either plasma or LCD is OLED. Hopefully soon that tech's shortcomings and high cost will be resolved soon.

Thanks for that reply. That pretty-much re-enforces what I thought, with the addition of the fan possibly being audible on the Panasonics. I'm dealing with Crutchfield who doesn't offer the Panny, or I would try that. Crutchfield has been golden through all of this and is willing to replace and or upgrade, yet another TV at their total expense. But honestly, I don't see a great solution. Maybe just take another chance on the next E7000 having a quieter panel and just live with whatever I get. Nothing like rolling the dice on $3000. Even the Crutchfield tech said after seeing the 7000 we wouldn't be happy with an LED TV. rolleyes.gif

post #9 of 20 Old 08-22-2012, 12:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked: 564
I have a VT series 2012 (edited) Panasonic plasma. It clearly emits an audible buzzing on primarily white/light screens. That said, it requires pretty special circumstances to actually hear it (and I have above-average hearing).

I either need to be:

a) Sitting within 2-3 feet of the screen to hear it while any content is playing.
b) Sitting about 7-10 feet away and have the ambient room noise below some base level (i.e. really low) and the sound from the video content off (e.g. when fast forwarding commercials)

We've now had the TV for about 2 months. I am well aware of its capacity for buzzing. I can safely say that on actually watching the TV this has had no effect on me and I don't believe anyone taking over my unit would feel differently.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working. (Oh, and plasma didn't die because of logistics problems, nor does OLED ship in big boxes because it comes from Korea.)
post #10 of 20 Old 08-22-2012, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter

I can hear mine enough to bother me from 10ft away and the picture content does make a difference. My wife can hear it from the kitchen breakfast room table 20+ feet away almost constantly. So yes, a lot depends on your ability to hear plus the variations in the panels themselves. My wife always could hear the kids getting into trouble two blocks away. wink.gif

post #11 of 20 Old 08-22-2012, 02:17 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo View Post

I have a VT series 2013 Panasonic plasma. It clearly emits an audible buzzing on primarily white/light screens. That said, it requires pretty special circumstances to actually hear it (and I have above-average hearing).
I either need to be:
a) Sitting within 2-3 feet of the screen to hear it while any content is playing.
b) Sitting about 7-10 feet away and have the ambient room noise below some base level (i.e. really low) and the sound from the video content off (e.g. when fast forwarding commercials)
We've now had the TV for about 2 months. I am well aware of its capacity for buzzing. I can safely say that on actually watching the TV this has had no effect on me and I don't believe anyone taking over my unit would feel differently.

are you writing from one year in the future? wink.gif
post #12 of 20 Old 08-22-2012, 03:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked: 564
Quote:
Originally Posted by simpson0086 View Post

are you writing from one year in the future? wink.gif

I'm writing with one hand due to injury. Forgive my typos. Of course, it's a 2012.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working. (Oh, and plasma didn't die because of logistics problems, nor does OLED ship in big boxes because it comes from Korea.)
post #13 of 20 Old 08-22-2012, 03:16 PM - Thread Starter

No typo shall go unpunished! smile.gif

post #14 of 20 Old 08-22-2012, 06:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 28
If you're sensitive to noise, you shouldn't buy a mfg with a significant number of noise complaints.

Tony
post #15 of 20 Old 08-22-2012, 08:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by adone36 View Post

If you're sensitive to noise, you shouldn't buy a mfg with a significant number of noise complaints.

I see noise posts against most Plasmas at some point. Even the mighty Panasonics. AND, the first Samsung I had didn't demonstrate a noise problem AND FINALLY, I was unaware I was sensitive to noise until I got this TV. Other than that, I really appreciate your comment.

post #16 of 20 Old 08-22-2012, 09:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 93
There is always the Elite but at a tremendous cost IMO not worth it for that kind of money I could put an ST Panasonic in every room of my house almost.
post #17 of 20 Old 08-22-2012, 10:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Although the ultra thin LED panels look sexy in the stores, once you get them in a home environment you realize they suffer from flashlighting, clouding, poor viewing angles and image fade, as well as poor black levels. But they are improving, and can provide a very sharp picture with bright colors that really pop. And one of the new entry level models, the Samsung UNxxEH6000 is getting good reviews because it uses direct back lighting rather than edge lighting, so some of these pq issues with edge lit models are reduced. But it has a thicker panel as a result, however the pic quality in the stores appears very nice. So this model may indeed be a possible plasma alternative, but of course blacks won't be as good. There is also the UNxxEH5000, but being 60hz, it may not handle motion blur as well as the EH6000 which is 120hz. And the 50EH6000 has been at a very appealing price point at various retailers for $899, but it lacks 3D and Smart TV. But seems to be a very nice basic TV with great pq if looking at LED selections.
post #18 of 20 Old 08-22-2012, 10:37 PM

Liked: 11
I went through 3 PN64E8000s that had a very annoying directional buzzing. The buzzing finally went away . . . when I replaced the third one with a VT50.
post #19 of 20 Old 08-22-2012, 11:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Plasma buzzing is related to the electrical design circuitry and various components and capacitors. But it is a quality control issue that can be somewhat managed and controlled. They tend to buzz more on bright or white scenes. I have both a Samsung and Panasonic plasma, and neither one of them buzzes or makes a noise. So it often depends on how well the specific TV is manufactured.
post #20 of 20 Old 08-23-2012, 06:16 AM - Thread Starter

This is all great information members. I really appreciate the feedback. I may actually research the UN65EH6000. Looks like BB has one in our local store which means there is a 50/50 chance it's actually there. If so, I can at least look at in Demo Mode and know ithat's the worse it could look. smile.gif Hopefully there are no other issues with it. Guess I'll delve into that with some research today but that seems the only option other than playing Quality Control Lotto with the Plasma.

And as far as thickness is concerned, I'm replacing a 65" Mitsu Diamond RP CRT. Lets just say anything is thinner than that but I've still never seen a picture on a flat panel as good. If it wasn't so old and starting to have nick-picky problems I would have put a recess int the living room and kept it. Three 9" CRT Guns really got the job done. Also 3D on this TV isn't a problem. I have a HT upstairs with a 140" scope screen and 3D capabilities for movies. This is a TV gig in the living room. Not a media room of any sort.

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn64e7000 64 Inch 3d Ultra Slim Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Un60d6500 60 Inch 1080p 120hz 3d Led Tv 2011 Model , Samsung Un55d6000 , Samsung Un55eh6000 Led Hdtv , Samsung Un46eh6000 Led Hdtv , Samsung Pn64e8000 64 Inch Ultra Slim Plasma 3d Hdtv
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page