Final decision..60" ST or the GT??? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 08-21-2012, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok. I need to make a purchase this week. I have decided to purchase either the Panasonic 60" ST or the GT....not sure which one......

Pauls TV has a nice bundle on the ST- $1699 and comes with 3d BluRay, 2 pairs of 3d glasses, a $300 restaurant com gift card.

The GT at Pauls is $1799.

Any advice.........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2012, 12:05 PM

Liked: 12
The restaurant.com gift cards are basically worthless - limited restaurant selections and many limitations - go the site and check it out.

3D glasses are a nice bonus

3D blu-ray is a nice bonus if it's one you want - if it's not or you don't need it then...
Old 08-21-2012, 01:00 PM

Liked: 13
I'd go with the GT50. The difference in color (Shades of Gradiation of the ST50 at about 12k and GT50 at about 24k) is noticeable, I stare at these things everyday at work.

You really can't make a bad decision, because they're two of the best TVs. GT50 also uses the black panel of the best TV from last year, VT30, so the blacks will be much deeper, and thus more detail.
Old 08-21-2012, 03:29 PM

Liked: 22
I went for the 55GT50 over the 55ST50 for the extra gradations of luminescence. I'm not all that impressed with the processing prowess of the GT with it's dual core processor, and ended up getting a DVDO iScan Duo to improve the picture. Maybe the source is partly to blame, but the iScan Duo is what improved the picture from my Dish satellite to my TV, not the GT processor.
Old 08-21-2012, 04:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueKhaki View Post

I'd go with the GT50. The difference in color (Shades of Gradiation of the ST50 at about 12k and GT50 at about 24k) is noticeable, I stare at these things everyday at work.
You really can't make a bad decision, because they're two of the best TVs. GT50 also uses the black panel of the best TV from last year, VT30, so the blacks will be much deeper, and thus more detail.

The top 3 pannys share the same all new panel this year except the filter is different on the VT. They didn't carry over last years panel to the top 3. So this years ST is better than last years VT according to the top calibrators and panasonic. smile.gif
Old 08-22-2012, 02:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 147
The GT50 has more inputs, better styling, dual-core processor for apps and THX Cinema and Brightroom (and THX 3D). It's pretty much unanimous between the pros that have seen both, that the extra shades of gradations makes little to no difference. The main benefit of the GT50 is the THX modes... they offer decent out of the box performance (slightly better than the ST50), as well as two good modes that can be used for darker rooms and brighter rooms. The ST50 is limited to Custom mode and Cinema mode if you need two modes for day/night (or dark/bright). Custom mode can be calibrated to perform just as good as the GT50 (even a calibrated GT50) but Cinema mode is a bit more limited in its picture controls, specifically there's no gamma control and the highest it can achieve is ~2.11 (which is a bit on the low side). So basically, both sets at their peak performance are more or less the same, it's all down to whether the features and additional modes are worth it to you.

For me, the ST50 was a no-brainer. I'm a DIY calibrator and I only need 1 picture mode. Given your options, the ST50 package is a much better value and would be my choice hands down. But then again, your needs might be different.