Thinking About Switching Sides from LCD/LED to Plasma, Questoins... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 08-21-2012, 10:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I've had a 40" Samsung LNT-4042H for 6 years. Last summer I got a Sony EX500, and on day 89/90 I returned it to Walmart because I couldn't deal with the flashlighting. This summer I tried a LG 55LM7600 (I'm on day 5/30 for Best Buy's return policy). I thought maybe flashlighting would be more controlled, and indeed many reviews on Amazon say they have zero flashlighting, but it is definitely apparent and distracting on my set. Some of my favorite movies are dark movies- Tron and Dark City, and I'm paying more attention to the dumb lighting bleed at the corners than the actual movie.

I'm at a loss when it comes to LED(except passive 3D, I might miss that), so I'm beginning to realize that I need a plasma. Either the Panasonic GT50 or ST50 in 55" or 60". I absolutely cannot wait to watch a movie with awesome blacks and zero light bleed.

The only thing I'm worried about is image retention. I wish TV stations didn't enforce a static HUD, but that is not the case. Sometimes I watch one channel for hours at a time, (Storage Wars on A&E, Animal Planet, History, Discovery, AMC... they all have HUD's).

How long can I watch one channel before I have to worry about image retention? This also applies to when I'm browsing on my desktop. I'm sure I can set a screen saver to come on often, but I'm still worried.

Also, how much better would the GT50's THX Day setting be watchable in daytime compared to just upping the brightness on the ST50?

Office - Onkyo 506, AV123 X-LS Encore Monitors
Living Room -Panasonic 60ST60, Onkyo 707, Ascend Acoustics Sierra-1 LCR
Car - Arc Audio Black 6.2; Arc Audio KS 2500.1, 300.4, 300.2; Audison BitOne; (2) Arc Audio Black 12 v2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 08-21-2012, 10:31 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 35
just use common sense- read your manual', don't abuse them with news, sports, games, less than full screen content etc. (or fall asleep with it on after midnight). Mind your settings, no torch modes especially in the first few hundred hours. Don't LOOK for IR on slides and the like, & if you ever do get careless & get a little mild temporary IR, don't make a big deal about it. Just wait until it goes away.

if you want to be extra vigilant, mind the 5% rule. But it shouldn't be a problem either way, unless you MAKE it a problem.

Welcome to plasma. Glad to have you.
post #3 of 3 Old 08-21-2012, 10:40 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
You could get Sharp's costly Elite LED panel if awesome blacks is your primary desire and you don't want to give a second thought about IR. You might want to hurry, though, as the company is going under...or that might dissuade you if you have warranty concerns.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page