Klipsch Reference series or Polk Moniter/Tsi Series - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 08-23-2012, 03:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've just began to build a Home Theater setup and have a decent Pioneer receiver. Now I have to decide on which speakers to get. I listen to about 30% Music and 70% TV/Movies. I realize that the Klipsch speakers are of course better than the Polk but are the really worth it? I'm definitely not an audiophile, nor do I have a budget for something High end. I just want something that has good sound and will make me happy with the money I spent. Any Thoughts??

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 08-23-2012, 07:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Wrong section. wink.gif

But to answer your question, speakers are hugely personal preference. I've listened to Klipsch's RF series and Polk's Monitor series (TSi are basically the same) and while I'm not of a huge fan of either, the Klipsch were a bit smoother sounding while the Polks sounded a bit muddy. Both are forward / a bit harsh for my liking, but the Klipsch are VERY efficient and more balanced IMO.

While I haven't listened to them, when it comes to budget speakers, I have heard many good things about Infinity's Primus series. They're a little more pricey but I'm also a big fan of Paradigm's Monitor Series 7 speakers (or Paradigm in general).

Whatever speakers you go with, I would audition them. Also keep in mind when purchasing speakers that the AVReceiver you have should be considered, because like speakers, receivers can sound warm, neutral or bright. Pioneer IMO is pretty neutral / a bit forward / bright sounding. Polk / Klipsch wouldn't be the greatest match IMO.
post #3 of 3 Old 08-25-2012, 04:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 102
When I bought my Klipsch reference speakers a while back I looked at the Polk and Mirgae competitors. I really loved the sound stage of the Mirage, but the low end sucked and in a small room there would be no directionality. The Polk were nice speakers but the center channel always sounded like a wet towel was muffling the sound. Also I just love the clarity of Klipsch. Some people find Klipsch too bright or harsh, but I find then extremely clean. They are also extremely efficient so you don't need much power to get good sound out of them.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page