Burn-in is not a thing of the past! Not for Panasonic PDP! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 117 Old 08-25-2012, 10:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My 3 months old 60" ST50 has a TV channel logo burned in to the screen and yes, this is not a bad image retention. Basically during the first 100 hours of the TV I ran the slides as recommended to prevent problems like this. Later on we were still careful about varying channels while we watch cable. However this channel that my wife watches about 2-3 hours a day got its logo burnt in to the screen. Of course when I called Panasonic they said it's not covered under warranty. I tried the supervisor with no luck. I really suggest everyone looking into the 2012 Panasonic plasma to think again. This is a really terrible buy unless you're only gonna watch blurays. By the way based on what I read in the forums I am not the only one experiencing this kind of problem with 2012 Panasonic plasmas.

-Yenal
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 117 Old 08-25-2012, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 203
have you tried leaving the scrolling bar on overnight or something like the pixel flipper on the Disney WOW disc?

any pics of the issue?

what picture mode/settings were you using when it happened? were those settings very bright?
post #3 of 117 Old 08-25-2012, 10:21 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by yenal View Post

My 3 months old 60" ST50 has a TV channel logo burned in to the screen and yes, this is not a bad image retention.

How do you know it is burn-in and not image retention? What measures did you take to remove IR? Is the image darker or lighter than the background?

Michael
post #4 of 117 Old 08-25-2012, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael2000 View Post

How do you know it is burn-in and not image retention? What measures did you take to remove IR? Is the image darker or lighter than the background?
Michael

yeah, I think the OP should use something like the pixel flipper on the Disney WOW disc overnight or longer before concluding that it is burn-in and not just bad IR
post #5 of 117 Old 08-25-2012, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I recommend that anyone worried about burn in or IR on Panasonic plasmas should consider Samsung. They are much better in this area.

CD

Reality Based.
post #6 of 117 Old 08-25-2012, 10:56 AM - Thread Starter

Things I have tried:
1 - Left the slides running overnight for few nights.
2 - Ran the anti image retention pattern back to back several times.
3 - Created a reverse image of the burn in pattern and left it on for a few hours.

Nothing degraded the image retention. By the way you cannot leave the scrolling bar overnight. It only runs for 15 minutes. I have the WoW disc. I'll try that now but I don't think it will be of help.

Thanks.
post #7 of 117 Old 08-25-2012, 10:57 AM - Thread Starter

By the way my brightness was at 58 when this thing has happened.
post #8 of 117 Old 08-25-2012, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 46
Quote:

By the way my brightness was at 58 when this thing has happened.

where was your "contrast"?

Steve S.
post #9 of 117 Old 08-25-2012, 11:15 AM - Thread Starter

My contrast was 100.
post #10 of 117 Old 08-25-2012, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:

My contrast was 100.

Hello,
That was the probable cause. I am truly sorry that this is occurred. Is there any chance your Wife might have left it on a static image for several hours with the Contrast at 100?
All I can say is the vast majority of 2012 Panasonic Plasma Owners have not gotten Burn In. I realize this is of no solace to you.

If you happened to have purchased it at Best Buy and also procured their Product Service Plan, the PSP covers Burn In. I specifically purchased mine at BB for this very reason as Panasonic will not cover Burn In as they view it as abuse I believe. All the same, it is still well worth calling Panasonic and having them send a Technician out to your home. You might get lucky and find a sympathetic tech who might be able to get it exchanged. Also, some Credit Cards offer an Extended Warranty which might cover Burn In.
Cheers,
AD

Radio Shack SPL Meter Owner
post #11 of 117 Old 08-25-2012, 11:30 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
Can someone confirm the Panasonic scrolling bar turns off after 15 min.
The Samsung scroll bar has no time limit however if NO signal is feed to the TV
while it's on the TV will auto turn off after 10 min.
I leave Dish OFF when running the scroll bar but it's still feeding
a signal to the TV so the TV does not auto turn off after 10 min.
post #12 of 117 Old 08-25-2012, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Nevermind. You already called Panasonic telling them it was Burn In. As you do not know with 100% certainty that it is not IR, you might have been able to have them send someone out there had you not told them that. Where did you purchase your ST50? Some retailers might be able to help. Though a long shot, at this point there is nothing to lose.

post #13 of 117 Old 08-25-2012, 11:34 AM - Thread Starter

I did not disclose burn in to Panasonic. I stated image retention. They were very careless and all they point me to was their pointless manual and the fact that image retention/burn in is not covered under warranty. Contrast set to 100 is the default setting in custom mode. I will not ever buy a Panasonic product again. No matter what the manufacturer wants you to believe this is a defect not a user error.
post #14 of 117 Old 08-25-2012, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter

By the way I bought it from Amazon and almost 90 days has passed since I've purchased it. I don't think they would care at this point. Also the credit card extended warranty doubles the "manufacturer" warranty with the same conditions.
post #15 of 117 Old 08-25-2012, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I did not disclose burn in to Panasonic. I stated image retention. They were very careless and all they point me to was their pointless manual and the fact that image retention/burn in is not covered under warranty. Contrast set to 100 is the default setting in custom mode. I will not ever buy a Panasonic product again. No matter what the manufacturer wants you to believe this is a defect not a user error.

Hello,
I actually agree with you and do think that Panasonic should cover Burn In. Believe me, I was not thrilled about spending around $350 to get a 4 year PSP. And it would have been $499 + Sales Tax if the Manager On Duty had not discounted my GT50 all the way down to $1750 so that the free Panasonic BDP Promotion ended up costing $150 on my receipt. The guy completely messed up as when the TV and BDP are on the same receipt, the BDP should have zeroed out. Thus I was able to return the BDP and put the $160 towards the PSP. Another idea would be to add the SquareTrade Warranty that I believe Amazon offers. However, I am not positive it covers Burn In. Still worth looking into as I think you can add it at anytime prior to the Panasonic 1 year Warranty ending.
Cheers,
AD

post #16 of 117 Old 08-25-2012, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter

No warranty but Best Buy's cover burn-in. Obviously it happens more than people think it would and they cover their bottoms so they can get away by selling broken products.
post #17 of 117 Old 08-25-2012, 12:39 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:

No warranty but Best Buy's cover burn-in. Obviously it happens more than people think it would and they cover their bottoms so they can get away by selling broken products.

So your saying you watched the same channel for 3 hours a day with brightness 58 and contrast a 100 with a static logo on the screen. I think this would cause really bad IR on any plasma. I have watched espn for hours on my 60e7000 and after a couple days of normal content I can still slightly see the logo, so I don't know if Samsung is totally immune to this either.
post #18 of 117 Old 08-25-2012, 12:53 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by strong island 1 View Post

So your saying you watched the same channel for 3 hours a day with brightness 58 and contrast a 100 with a static logo on the screen. I think this would cause really bad IR on any plasma. I have watched espn for hours on my 60e7000 and after a couple days of normal content I can still slightly see the logo, so I don't know if Samsung is totally immune to this either.

Get used to running the scroll bar between programing.
Over night if you want to.
The Samsung scroll bar has no time limit however if NO signal is feed to the TV
while it's on the TV will auto turn off after 10 min.
I leave Dish OFF when running the scroll bar but it's still feeding
a signal to the TV so the TV does not auto turn off after 10 min.
post #19 of 117 Old 08-25-2012, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonyfan View Post

Can someone confirm the Panasonic scrolling bar turns off after 15 min..
Yes the settings menu Panasonic scrolling bar feature times out after around 15minutes.
However in the service menu there is an aging function with selectable full screen images including full white screen and the scrolling white bar pattern - and there is no timeout there.
Another common method to remove stubborn IR is to use the internal TV tuner tuned to a non-existant analog channel that will produce a random snow screen like a pixel flipper.
The settings menu should be set to not time out without signal input to run longer than 3 hours too.
post #20 of 117 Old 08-25-2012, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Burn in / image retention resistance varies from panel to panel so I actually advise against running slides for the first 100 hours (unless you're following D-Nice's prep procedure). Despite what some people think, running slides for the first 100 hours does not prevent IR. Because IR varies from panel to panel, I would recommend buying from a store with a good exchange policy so that if your panel has IR issues, they'll replace it for you no questions asked. Use your TV as you normally would and if IR is an issue, exchange it. You can tell if burn in / IR will be an issue by how easily IR occurs and how long it takes to fade. My 60ST50 for example, I haven't seen any IR.
post #21 of 117 Old 08-25-2012, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Indeed. It was the only reason I purchased it from BB. That being said, I have not even experienced IR let alone Burn In. I was fastidious about avoiding logos, black bars, 3D, et al during the first 150 hours. What was really annoying was when my first 60GT50 was exchanged for another due to stripped screws on the Pedestal,

I simply called BB's 866 Number simply asking to get 2 screws mailed to me. At first, they were going to bring out a new Pedestal. And within 8 hours of that call I got the Email stating that they were exchanging the PDP for another one. The crazy thing is my initial one had a July 2012 Build Date whereas the exchanged one that came 2 weeks later has an April 2012 date. Not that it really matters I suppose, but I figure the newer the better.

While I have had an overwhelmingly positive experience, it definitely is comforting to have 4 years coverage should something like that happening. I also lucked out that I had purchased a PSP on my Sony SXRD RPTV. When I called in about the HDMI Board acting up, it took 10 days to get a Technician out here and he brought the Component/Composite Video Board as opposed to the HDMI Board. Due to a new stipulation in BB's PSP, if they do not repair the TV within 14 days, you end up getting a new TV.

When I went in there I was honestly petrified that I would end up with a Mitsubishi RPTV. Thankfully, they accepted my argument that SXRD is a completely different technology than DLP. Therefore I ended up with about a $1250 Gift Card to purchase any one I wanted. Definitely my favorite day of the Summer.

post #22 of 117 Old 08-25-2012, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter

To my surprise Amazon is replacing the TV. They tried to persuade Panasonic to repair the TV with no luck. Amazon has really the best customer service. I guess I should go with LCD this time.
post #23 of 117 Old 08-25-2012, 03:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

To my surprise Amazon is replacing the TV. They tried to persuade Panasonic to repair the TV with no luck. Amazon has really the best customer service. I guess I should go with LCD this time.

That is excellent news. An LCD would probably be the way to go given what happened. Sony's upper level LCD's with Local Dimming have received some really good Professional Reviews without costing as much as Sharp's Elite LCD's which would cost around 4 times as much as the 60ST50. Whatever you choose good luck..

post #24 of 117 Old 08-25-2012, 03:27 PM - Thread Starter

I am thinking of HX850 but I need to go up in the price and smaller in size. Is there any other alternative than the HX850 to have a uniform picture with good black levels?
post #25 of 117 Old 08-25-2012, 03:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked: 214
If you go to the thread here on this forum called "Panasonic ST50 Image Retention" and go to post # 132, You will see some excellent information on IR and how to fix it. If this fix works for you that would be a terrific positive test result for many Panasonic owners and potential owners. I think if it fixes your set it will fix anybodies.
post #26 of 117 Old 08-25-2012, 08:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 93
When we tell people to take TV's off of torch mode default or not means get the settings off of 100 be it contrast ,brightness or panel light high its kinda like your AVR can be turned wide open with the volume knob will damage occur most likely if the protection circuit does not kick in providing it has one.

You can crank the settings up on an LCD to an unnatural picture without immediate damage but don't fool yourself if you don't think panel life suffers.
post #27 of 117 Old 08-25-2012, 11:42 PM - Thread Starter

My TV was actually calibrated with a meter. Is it so hard to understand people might actually want to watch content brighter in a sunny living room. Call it torch mode or whatever but a TV should be able to handle this. Anyway I am done with Panasonic and their terrible customer at this point.
post #28 of 117 Old 09-14-2012, 04:54 PM

My Panasonic GT50 has horrible burn-in, not IR, but classic burn-in. I ran the slides for the first 100 hours and then noticed the burn-in from a TV station logo about the 125 hour mark. I am around the 300 hour mark now and the logo has not faded at all. Panasonic will not help me at all and I did not purchase the Best Buy warranty, so I will be staring at the burn-in on the corner of my TV screen for the next 3 years until I can afford to destroy the thing and upgrade. If I could do it all over again, i would break the tv in at least 300 hours before watching anything with a logo.
post #29 of 117 Old 09-14-2012, 05:29 PM

Quote:

My TV was actually calibrated with a meter. Is it so hard to understand people might actually want to watch content brighter in a sunny living room. Call it torch mode or whatever but a TV should be able to handle this. Anyway I am done with Panasonic and their terrible customer at this point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvtom35 View Post

My Panasonic GT50 has horrible burn-in, not IR, but classic burn-in. I ran the slides for the first 100 hours and then noticed the burn-in from a TV station logo about the 125 hour mark. I am around the 300 hour mark now and the logo has not faded at all. Panasonic will not help me at all and I did not purchase the Best Buy warranty, so I will be staring at the burn-in on the corner of my TV screen for the next 3 years until I can afford to destroy the thing and upgrade. If I could do it all over again, i would break the tv in at least 300 hours before watching anything with a logo.

This is ridiculous. Who in their right mind wants to deal with this stuff when spending thousands on a TELEVISION? I want to just plug it in and go, not have to do this and that. It's stories like these that totally dissuade me from buying a plasma. Yeah, not everyone has these problems but who wants to take that chance? It's frustrating and I am not even the one it happened to!
post #30 of 117 Old 09-14-2012, 05:47 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:

You should check out the e6500 plasma line from Samsung. Buy it from BB and get the warranty. BB will match legitimate internet prices too.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P60st50 Plasma Tv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page