I have a decision to make and I am not sure which to pick. 60GT50 or PN64D8000-7000 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 08-29-2012, 06:56 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
NJPapi1977's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 635
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Guys I can get either of the 3 sets for about the same price. So money not being an issue in this case which of these would be the best in terms of PQ

I enjoy blu ray movies and gaming plus my sports


The living room is not overly bright at all since I can somewhat control the ambient light with the blinds but there are sunny days that it still bleeds through the blinds enough to be a pain.

Would the 60GT50 be the better tv and being the smaller of the 3 matter?

Thank You
NJPapi1977 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 13 Old 08-29-2012, 07:43 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"
 
RandyWalters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: El Segundo, Calif
Posts: 17,515
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJPapi1977 View Post

Guys I can get either of the 3 sets for about the same price. So money not being an issue in this case which of these would be the best in terms of PQ
I enjoy blu ray movies and gaming plus my sports
The living room is not overly bright at all since I can somewhat control the ambient light with the blinds but there are sunny days that it still bleeds through the blinds enough to be a pain.
Would the 60GT50 be the better tv and being the smaller of the 3 matter?
Thank You

Nobody can really tell you which one fits your needs and requirements etc. You have to weigh the pros and cons of each model and decide what features and abilities you absolutely must have, and what cons you absolutely will not settle for, then make your own informed decision based on the data. The answer will be in the details of each models discussion threads.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
RandyWalters is offline  
post #3 of 13 Old 08-29-2012, 07:45 PM
Senior Member
 
jjclecky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 204
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Go Big!!! I have the 64d7000 and love it. The pic quality is great.
jjclecky is offline  
post #4 of 13 Old 08-30-2012, 06:04 AM
AVS Special Member
 
rr6966's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 1,213
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I bought a Samsung 59D7000 when it first came out, a year and half ago. Loved the tv, but to make a long story short, the tv died and due to the cost to fix, I decided to replace the tv. I bought a Panasonic 60GT50, and the this set is awesome! The biggest difference to me was the slight increase in depth & detail in the picture quality. I think this is due to the excellent black levels. I will say the Samsung was slightly better with 3D, but that is not really important to me, but I do enjoy it from time to time. Good Luck!biggrin.gif
rr6966 is offline  
post #5 of 13 Old 08-30-2012, 09:16 AM
Senior Member
 
dzt41j's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: NY
Posts: 292
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Did you really mean the d7000 and 8000 or the e?
dzt41j is offline  
post #6 of 13 Old 08-30-2012, 10:26 AM
Advanced Member
 
sonyfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 577
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Go with he largest screen plasma tech can offer the 64" Sammy or 65" Panny.
Buyers remorse can happen from knowing their is a larger screen but you went
with the smaller one when price was not an issue.
sonyfan is offline  
post #7 of 13 Old 08-30-2012, 07:54 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
NJPapi1977's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 635
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by dzt41j View Post

Did you really mean the d7000 and 8000 or the e?

I meant the D not the new E
NJPapi1977 is offline  
post #8 of 13 Old 08-30-2012, 07:55 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
NJPapi1977's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 635
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonyfan View Post

Go with he largest screen plasma tech can offer the 64" Sammy or 65" Panny.
Buyers remorse can happen from knowing their is a larger screen but you went
with the smaller one when price was not an issue.


So the 60GT50 vs the Samsung PN64D8000 the choice should be the Samsung from last year just because is bigger

Is the GT50 not much better PQ wise?
NJPapi1977 is offline  
post #9 of 13 Old 08-30-2012, 08:03 PM
Advanced Member
 
sonyfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 577
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJPapi1977 View Post

So the 60GT50 vs the Samsung PN64D8000 the choice should be the Samsung from last year just because is bigger
Is the GT50 not much better PQ wise?

Don't buy last years model.
this years E8000 has an improved panel.
If you want to save $ you could go with the E6500 60", has the same glass as the E8000.
sonyfan is offline  
post #10 of 13 Old 08-30-2012, 08:12 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
NJPapi1977's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 635
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonyfan View Post

Don't buy last years model.
this years E8000 has an improved panel.
If you want to save $ you could go with the E6500 60", has the same glass as the E8000.


I dont think the 60E6500 is better then the 60GT50 Right?
NJPapi1977 is offline  
post #11 of 13 Old 08-30-2012, 08:47 PM
Senior Member
 
dzt41j's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: NY
Posts: 292
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Def choose quality over size, i.e. don't buy last years models because they are bigger.
I am in the same boat as you right now, is the gt50 worth extra money over the e6500.
dzt41j is offline  
post #12 of 13 Old 08-30-2012, 08:52 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"
 
RandyWalters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: El Segundo, Calif
Posts: 17,515
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJPapi1977 View Post

I dont think the 60E6500 is better then the 60GT50 Right?

It depends on what's important to you - the Samsungs are said to be sharper and more detailed with 720p content than the 2012 Panasonics are and have better processing. Samsung's colors are not quite as good Panasonics, but he biggest difference would be Panasonic has much better black levels and much higher contrast which is very important to most people especially if they watch a lot of movies. Sports though kinda narrows the gap between the two brands.

Last year's Samsungs were solid performers, but there are some people in the Samsung threads that think the 2012 E series falls a little short of last yers D series. All of last year's and this year's Panasonic and Samsung models have one or more issues so there is no all around perfect TV right now.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
RandyWalters is offline  
post #13 of 13 Old 01-23-2013, 12:05 PM
Member
 
Brad Levine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 39
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by rr6966 View Post

I bought a Samsung 59D7000 when it first came out, a year and half ago. Loved the tv, but to make a long story short, the tv died and due to the cost to fix, I decided to replace the tv. I bought a Panasonic 60GT50, and the this set is awesome! The biggest difference to me was the slight increase in depth & detail in the picture quality. I think this is due to the excellent black levels. I will say the Samsung was slightly better with 3D, but that is not really important to me, but I do enjoy it from time to time. Good Luck!biggrin.gif

My Sammy died too!! I will never buy that brand again. I had the Sammy unc7000. Not even going into the clouding problem with the backlight...the tv broke down on me 2x!!!! While my panny 850u which is 3 yrs old and NEVER given me a problem (knock knock knock) stay the F&$k away from from Samsung!! That's my advice!
Brad Levine is offline  
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off