Samsung Plasma Intermittent Flash/Flicker - Power Supply Related? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 08-30-2012, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've got a Samsung PN51D550 that I've had since January. I've never had a problem with it and it was working fine as of August 12 which was the last time it was used. But then last night, August 29, it had this intermittent whole-screen flash/flicker (it's in a vacation home, so it sat off for the time since its last use). Video of what it was doing is here: http://youtu.be/jEadxFjrHMc

It was doing this regardless of the source, so we tried unplugging it and plugging it back in and that cured it for now. Any idea what the root of this problem might be? I'm wondering if it's some sort of power supply or capacitor issue. Just trying to figure out what's going on so I can get it taken care of while it's still under warranty.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-05-2012, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter

Bump - any thoughts? Thanks!
post #3 of 5 Old 09-05-2012, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 36
It's not a common problem, so don't expect much feedback. The service techs usually want to see the problem in action, but that video may suffice. I wouldn't hesitate to shedule a visit under warranty.
doughboy52 likes this.
post #4 of 5 Old 09-05-2012, 02:32 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much. I have really limited troubleshooting experience with TVs and Samsung online support couldn't tell me much, so I was really looking for a validation of what I was thinking that it was probably power related. I'll go ahead and schedule a warranty visit. That video is all I have at the moment, as it was the first time it did it in a few hundred hours of use and, like I mentioned, it stopped after unplugging and plugging back in. Thanks a lot!
post #5 of 5 Old 09-05-2012, 03:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Well, I think it could really be any number of problems - impossible to say. Anyway, that's the job of the technician to decide - they couldn't care less what you think.wink.gif

I suppose once you're through the basic troubleshooting, Samsung will have asked you to unplug the set. So technically you're supposed to wait until the problem returns to schedule a service call. But with intermittent problems like this, you'll be hard pressed to demonstrate it for them anyway, so you might want to just go ahead with it and tell them the problem persists. You could wait it out a while, but if you don't use the set very often that's probably kinda risky.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays