Carrier opened box and tested unit? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 08-30-2012, 01:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was just delivered my new lg-60PM6700 and was taken back when the carrier brought in a totally opened box with all the wrapping already taken off the tv and the power cord plugged in. I asked what was up and told them how odd it seemed to me and they said they turned it on at the warehouse to verify it worked properly. Wth? Is this normal operating procedures for the shipping companies? My other tvs have all come through UPS and were never opened but this was a 60inch plasma that couldn't ship ups.

I contacted the merchant who said it was normal and balked at my question of how would I know if it was a new unit. They asked if it looked new. Wtf? Click.

I then chatted with an LG rep who said it was not normal but they are an authorized dealer. They said they could not tell if it was refurbed by the serial #?

Anyone have advice on what to do? Yes the tv looked new but I have no way of verifying and im a total noob so I can't tell if the picture is not up to par. I also only had it turned on for about 10 minutes before taking off to work.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 08-30-2012, 02:30 PM

Liked: 16
Sounds like BS, I don't want anyone opening the box until it is sitting in front of me. Who know what they were doing or what their motive was. I wouldn't accept that myself but I am somewhat picky about the unit being brand new and in original packaging. You would have to find out the procedure for checking hours on the unit to see how many are really on it.
post #3 of 12 Old 08-30-2012, 02:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Tell as who you got it from and the shipper... Its more likely to be a returned unit or a demo.. Refurbs come in sealed boxs like new units..
post #4 of 12 Old 08-30-2012, 03:34 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
Man I would have gone off on that delivery guy big time.
Like WTF is this...the friggin box is open get it off my property.
post #5 of 12 Old 08-30-2012, 04:06 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 500
It's not unfathomable that the retailer (or even a shipping company) checks for proper operation before letting the TV leave their warehouse, but it doesn't seem to be a common practice. Family-owned Ken Crane's used to do this to make sure the customer didn't get a dud (they went out of business last year) and L.A. Tronics used to pre-test TVs before shipping too (also out of business now). I can see a shipping company doing it so that their drivers don't get blamed for damaging the TV on the drive over.

If the TV otherwise looks like brand new, simply go into the service menu and check the Hours Used screen to see how many hours (if any) are on it.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #6 of 12 Old 08-30-2012, 06:02 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakecoca View Post

I was just delivered my new lg-60PM6700 and was taken back when the carrier brought in a totally opened box with all the wrapping already taken off the tv and the power cord plugged in. I asked what was up and told them how odd it seemed to me and they said they turned it on at the warehouse to verify it worked properly. Wth? Is this normal operating procedures for the shipping companies? My other tvs have all come through UPS and were never opened but this was a 60inch plasma that couldn't ship ups.
I contacted the merchant who said it was normal and balked at my question of how would I know if it was a new unit. They asked if it looked new. Wtf? Click.
I then chatted with an LG rep who said it was not normal but they are an authorized dealer. They said they could not tell if it was refurbed by the serial #?
Anyone have advice on what to do? Yes the tv looked new but I have no way of verifying and im a total noob so I can't tell if the picture is not up to par. I also only had it turned on for about 10 minutes before taking off to work.
Thanks!

Check the Hours on the TV as recommended above, that should answer your question. But, I can understand why you are tweaked that they brought in an already OPEN box. it is fairly normal for a delivery service to bring the box in, open it and plug it in to make sure the unit is operational, but normally they open the box in your presence.
post #7 of 12 Old 08-31-2012, 08:33 AM - Thread Starter

The TV was ordered from EastCoastTvs.com and the shipper was AM Home Delivery. Can anyone walk me step by step through the menu to get the hours? I am not home but will ask the wife to try it if I can go step by step.
post #8 of 12 Old 08-31-2012, 03:38 PM

Liked: 12
I have an LGPA65000...I believe the steps to get to hours are the same.

Select "Settings" on the remove

then hit the RED button

Then, select "Product/Service INFO"
post #9 of 12 Old 08-31-2012, 03:50 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
If the box is open on delivery I'd have to take the 'Cameron Frye' point of view.
No, No, No, shaking my head, it could get breathed on wrong, a bird could sh_t on it ,etc.
post #10 of 12 Old 08-31-2012, 04:04 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakecoca View Post

The TV was ordered from EastCoastTvs.com and the shipper was AM Home Delivery.

East Coast is one of the more disreputable TV sellers on the net, and they use couriers and local shipping companies to pick up TVs from regional warehouses and drop ship them to the customer, so it's not likely that the delivery company is the one that "pre-tested" the TV.

I would definitely check the hours on that TV - it could have been a customer return that they're trying to pass off as new and using the excuse that they pre-tested it. I wouldn't believe anything ECTV says, they lie all the time.

Quote:
Can anyone walk me step by step through the menu to get the hours? I am not home but will ask the wife to try it if I can go step by step.

I would not let her do that - to check the hours you have to go into the Service Menu and one wrong button press can ruin the TV. It's not for the faint-hearted and extreme care must be used to do it safely.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #11 of 12 Old 09-05-2012, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter

Sucks to hear about ECTV as I did a fair amount of looking for reputation before purchasing. The TV only had 9 hours on it when I got around to looking which sounds like how much we actually used it.

The hours on this model are right in the settings menu so there was no chance of a brick through the service menu.

After updating the firmware, I am much happier with the tv just going through the picture wizard. Im not sure I will find the time to look into finer tuning.

Kind of wish it could do Amazon Instant Video.

Thanks for the comments from everyone.
post #12 of 12 Old 09-05-2012, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxRX6LXDpWs

A delivered open box at my house is greeted by No Cat.

"We did not have business relations with that company, Fuh Yuan."
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page