Samsung PN64E7000 bricked after firmware update (Aug. 24, 2012) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 08-30-2012, 08:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Today, while watching the TV, a dialogue box appeared saying something to the effect of "Would you like to update..... ." I'm not exactly sure what happened because this is my girlfriend's recollection of what she saw. She did not press any buttons and the dialogue box went away. About 3 hours after turning the TV off, it no longer turns on. The standby light turns on and the TV is receiving remote input, but the screen is completely blank -- no back light.

I went onto the Samsung website and checked the support page for the PNXXE7000 and saw that a firmware update just came out on August 24, 2012. I then conducted some basic Google research (i.e., "Samsung firmware update broke TV") and saw a whole host of threads and posts about this issue, primarily for the D7000. Does anyone know how to fix this issue? (I called service and they will be out in who-knows-how-long.)

I tried pressing "Mute, 2, 5, 8, Exit" as was suggested in the D7000 thread, but nothing happens. Is there anyone else facing this problem? (See http://www.avsforum.com/t/1328356/samsung-pn59d6500-just-got-bricked-by-firmware/0_100)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-31-2012, 03:26 AM

Liked: 12
Updated my E8000 without issue. Have you called Samsung support?
post #3 of 5 Old 08-31-2012, 07:43 AM - Thread Starter

Yes, I called Samsung support. They are sending a local authorized technician at some time in the next week. It's really a shame because I'm hosting people this weekend, and I won't have a TV.
post #4 of 5 Old 08-31-2012, 08:50 AM - Thread Starter

Just had the most bizarre conversation with a "supervisor" in the Samsung technical department. She told me that Samsung recommends that users never update their TVs unless there is a specific problem(s) that needs to be resolved. In fact, as she said, "most of the time, firmware updates will hurt your TV if you apply them when there is no specific problem with your TV." eek.gif I was completely mind-boggled by that statement and I called her out on it. Why on earth would Samsung issue an update that would harm most of their TVs? She stood by her answer. Looks like I won't be getting any help from her.
post #5 of 5 Old 08-31-2012, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Their CS does not seem to be well trained, so maybe she was just uninformed or confusing it with another device. That is a very strange thing to say considering the TV will notify you of updates when available and provides no warning about installing them. Unfortunately, you will probably need a new main board to fix your problem, which can take up to another week after your first service visit. But don't worry, they will fix it.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn64e7000 64 Inch 3d Ultra Slim Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page