Panasonic TC-P65GT50 doesn't display rightmost pixel column! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 08-30-2012, 10:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello everyone,

I recently took delivery of a Panasonic TC-P65GT50 and overall I'm extremely happy with it. However, upon doing some preliminary calibration and testing on it, I noticed something strange. I loaded up the Disney WOW disc and when viewing the "Overscan" test image, I noticed that the rightmost column of pixels is not being displayed! I have the television's aspect ratio adjustment set to HD2, which is supposed to produce a 1:1 pixel mapped image. And when viewing the 1 pixel checkerboards and other scaling test patterns, the display does appear to have 1:1 pixel mapping, except for the small fact that it is not displaying that last vertical line! Just to make sure it's not that particular test image, I brought up the "Aspect Ratio" image, and the same thing is happening - I see a 3 pixel thick white border along the left, top and bottom of the image, but the right border is only 2 pixels thick.

Has anyone else noticed this phenomenon or have any idea why this might be happening? It doesn't bother me since it does appear to have proper 1:1 mapping, it's just very curious. Could it be the Blu-ray player? I have a Sony BDP-S590 hooked up to the TV via HDMI. Could it be the DIsney WOW disc - maybe their test images are incorrect?

Anyway, thanks for any insight!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-31-2012, 12:10 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Do you have the pixel orbiter feature enabled?
Tthat can shift the image 1-2 pixels off the screen on some of the edges as it moves it slowly around.
For true 1:1 pixel mapping and display of all pixels you need pixel orbiter disabled.
post #3 of 7 Old 08-31-2012, 05:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
I've noticed this as well, but I have pixel orbiter enabled. I'd rather have that feature on than off. For me, it doesn't really bother me, I hardly ever even notice this is happening.
post #4 of 7 Old 08-31-2012, 06:50 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojambo View Post

Has anyone else noticed this phenomenon or have any idea why this might be happening? It doesn't bother me since it does appear to have proper 1:1 mapping, it's just very curious. Could it be the Blu-ray player? I have a Sony BDP-S590 hooked up to the TV via HDMI. Could it be the DIsney WOW disc - maybe their test images are incorrect?

Have you checked to see if that dead row is displayed with other sources such as a cable box, or when displaying images on a USB drive or SD card etc?
Tazishere likes this.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #5 of 7 Old 08-31-2012, 09:23 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses - some good things to check. I failed to mention in my original post that I do indeed have the pixel orbiter turned off. And Randy, I took your advice and tested it using my HD PVR and it sill has the same issue.

However, all of the talk centering around the pixel orbiter has got me thinking - is it possible (and maybe I'm way out in left field here) that the pixel orbiter "remembers" the last offset it was at before it was turned off and leaves the image at that position? For instance, let's say the orbiter slowly moves the image horizontally by -2 to +2 pixels, and vertically from -2 to +2 pixels. And let's say I turn the orbiter off when it had the image at the +1,0 offset. This would produce the effect I'm seeing wouldn't it? And to correct it, all I would have to do is turn it back on and wait for the orbiter to move the image back to the exact center (offset of 0,0) then turn it off? If this is the case, this means that whenever a user turns off the pixel orbiter, they are very likely having the same issue as I'm having (and possibly even worse, if the orbiter is turned off when it is at a larger offset like +2,+2). I'm at work right now and can't experiment with this, it's just some random musings for discussion. I'm anxious to try it out when I get home. If anyone else wants to try it out and report back, that would be great too - I'd like to know if I'm crazy.

Thanks again!
post #6 of 7 Old 08-31-2012, 02:19 PM

Liked: 19
can you actually tell the difference between a pixel that is turned off and the blank area at the edge of the screen?
post #7 of 7 Old 08-31-2012, 02:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by weedeater View Post

can you actually tell the difference between a pixel that is turned off and the blank area at the edge of the screen?

No, I can't tell any difference between an off pixel and the non-functioning edge area. Like I said, it's not something I'm upset about, it's just something that I found curious and was wondering if anyone else has seen the same thing. And maybe any insight as to why it is not displayed.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P65gt50 Plasma Tv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page