Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Had this tv for six monthes so far lovin it. I play a lot of games on
Xbox but not for any incinsiderable length of time and hour here two
Hrs then switch to cable tv. Recently got back into borderlands and helping
A friend with achevos and we would do 4-5 hr stretches and I notice that the
Heath and stamina bar are still around after acouple of days even with switching
Back to full screen video and playin other games. Mind you it's not as present but
it didn't just go away after acouple minutes like ppl have twitted with iIR.. So I'm
Getting kind worried here alittle and yes it'd in game mode and the pixel orbiter is
enabled... even runnin the scroll bar for 1 hour didn't help the same thing happened
With the TNT logo even that we t away after acoouple of days it just didn't vanish after
Acouple of minutes when switching programming so I don't know what do I do have it
under 2 year warenty from best buy it us gettin dimmer but borderlands 2 is con out next month and I don't wanna dmg it further but the image isnt disappearing like it should so I don't know if my setting need adjusted or what? Advise would be appreciated thx guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 09-02-2012, 08:19 PM

Well, all Panny sets are different with IR. Luckily, my 42UT50 is pretty strong against IR, but I make sure I moderate how long a still image is displayed on the set. In your post, you stated you played Borderlands for 4-5 hours straight, which is pretty much why you got this IR. Don't game for so long on these sets, it's not even healthy to play a video game for that long. You do not have burn in, you might just have stubborn IR. Since you played Borderlands for 4-5 hours, what I suggest doing is putting a library of music into a USB stick, plugging that into your Xbox 360, and going to the media part and play your songs and go into visual mode, where you see all those vibrant, dynamic colors. Do this for 10 hours approximately, then check to see how your set is looking. If you can still see the IR, add another 5 hours of playing.

During like the first week of owning my 42UT50, I fell asleep after watching an episode of Lost on Netflix. I slept for eight hours while the still image of the Netflix menu was on there. It took me roughly 16 hours to get rid of.

Best of luck to you, friend.
post #3 of 12 Old 09-03-2012, 11:24 AM

Liked: 11
I ended up getting some pretty resilient IR after about a month of playing Battlefield 3 for 2 hours, 3-4 times a week. That's on a Samsung. Yesterday, I left the TV on with the scrolling feature enabled for about 11-12 hours, and all the IR is pretty much gone. I'm sure if I did another round of it, the IR would be completely eliminated.

I don't think you've done anything to permanently damage your set, honestly. So, I'd suggest doing something similar to what Jawzey said. I'm not sure about your Panny model, but, if it does, enable the scrolling/white wash feature when you wake up one morning, and let it run all day. Should clean it up in one go, if not, two.
post #4 of 12 Old 09-03-2012, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yomaster View Post

I ended up getting some pretty resilient IR after about a month of playing Battlefield 3 for 2 hours, 3-4 times a week. That's on a Samsung. Yesterday, I left the TV on with the scrolling feature enabled for about 11-12 hours, and all the IR is pretty much gone. I'm sure if I did another round of it, the IR would be completely eliminated.
I don't think you've done anything to permanently damage your set, honestly. So, I'd suggest doing something similar to what Jawzey said. I'm not sure about your Panny model, but, if it does, enable the scrolling/white wash feature when you wake up one morning, and let it run all day. Should clean it up in one go, if not, two.

Ah, I forgot about the scrolling feature. I've used that on my Panny as well and it works great! The only downside with it is that it will stop after about 10 minutes I think (don't quote me on that), so if you choose to do use this feature, make sure you or someone else is in the room to moderate it. IR is truly not a big deal once you learn how to use the set and how to properly take care of it.
post #5 of 12 Old 09-04-2012, 08:58 AM - Thread Starter

Thx guys for the input ya after usin your suggestion jaws about the vibrant color routine on Xbox left that runnin all day while I was at work and the image is still there as Dara's I know there is no feature on the panny ut50 to make the white wash feature run fit more than 15 minutes and it I'm gonna keep runnin it up untill I have to go to work then switch to the Xbox color scheme and let that run. I know it's not burn it cuz I had the TNT logo on there and that's totally gone but come on if this is ginna be a everyday thing with ir makes not having a plasma a pain. I've heard ppl play games for hrs on end with static huds them switch the Screen to normal viewin and the ir disappears within acouple of minutes. Is ir normally this stubborn to get rid of?
post #6 of 12 Old 09-04-2012, 04:40 PM

@Jawzey: The 10 minute limit couldn't be due to the set's auto-off feature, could it? My Samsung turns itself off after not detecting an input device for 10 minutes, unless I disable that feature in the Eco settings. The TV doesn't count the white wash as an input source, so it will turn off if that setting is enabled.

@danny001: Does the set turn itself off, or does the white wash simply disable? Pure speculation here, but take a look in your power-saving/Eco settings and see if there's some kind of setting that would cause that.

To answer your question, typically, it depends on the age of the TV, as well as what exactly you're doing with it. If you play a game for a couple hours, turn the TV off, and then come back the next day and play the same game again, chances are, you're going to get burn-in if you do this repeatedly for several days/weeks.

My plasma is generally meant for gaming, but I do a little TV watching as well. I do make it a point to just leave the TV on DirecTV for a while after I'm done gaming in order to let any residual IR wash out and lessen the chances of burn-in. However, in order to get rid of nearly all the IR I had after my bouts of BF3 gaming, I had to leave the white wash on for 12 hours. Mind you, the IR was really only visible on a white screen, but I assume another 6 hours, and all traces of the IR would've been gone. That's AFTER letting my TV play movies, or running the white wash for a couple hours after EVERY 2-hour gaming session. Incredible, no?
post #7 of 12 Old 09-05-2012, 06:19 AM - Thread Starter

My set is six monthes old... And I'll deffinitlt check the Eco settings to see if I can change the 15 time limit auto shut off for the white wash to no limit.. The borderlands Heath and shield logo is just about gone barely visible plus did have the contrast jacked up to 100 never had a problem with IR untill I did that so turned it back down to 80 with game mode and when watching movies in vivid mode.
post #8 of 12 Old 09-08-2012, 02:17 AM

Yeah, having your contrast cranked like that can definitely increase your risk of IR. With my TV calibrated, my contrast sits at 60%. Different TV's though, so I'd recommend you either buy a good calibration disc (I've heard good things about Disney WoW and Spears & Munsil), or you can use the method I used here: http://lifehacker.com/5858625/how-to-calibrate-your-hdtv-and-boost-your-video-quality-in-30-minutes-or-less

I played a few hours of Borderlands tonight, and ended up with some pretty good IR on a white screen with my set calibrated pretty well. Just be careful with your contrast settings and be sure to moderate your gaming time. Good luck.
post #9 of 12 Old 01-07-2014, 05:13 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I have a member of my household that watched ID every Monday for hours on end while they do some busy work. I noticed recently that I have a slight outline of an ID logo that is visible under certain, rare conditions. if the screen is pure white, or a color close to white like bright yellow you can just barely see it. Under normal viewing conditions it can't be seen at all. Do you guys think this is IR or burn in?

Oh, I should mention that the ID logo is not always persistent, it disappears during commercials when you're watching the channel.

post #10 of 12 Old 01-07-2014, 06:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 83
This is something you're gonna deal with on all plasmas, but the station bugs in particular the Pannys seem sensitive to because people tend to watch for longer stretches and more regularly than playing games. If you want to try and fix it the pixel flipper on the Disney WOW Disc is your friend.
post #11 of 12 Old 01-07-2014, 07:00 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Thanks for the info, I was unaware of this disc, gonna get myself a copy. I was considering leaving a static white image on my TV for a while to see if I can get the IR to go away, but I'm not sure if that will lead to some permanent burn in and tint the entire picture or something.

post #12 of 12 Old 01-07-2014, 08:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by totesmuhgoats View Post

Thanks for the info, I was unaware of this disc, gonna get myself a copy. I was considering leaving a static white image on my TV for a while to see if I can get the IR to go away, but I'm not sure if that will lead to some permanent burn in and tint the entire picture or something.

Nah, it might just age the phosphors at a faster rate, but as far as effectiveness in healing IR, the pixel flipper does a much more efficient job than even the built in systems on a lot of the TVs.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P50ut50 50 Inch Plasma Tv
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page