Bias Lighting - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 09-04-2012, 04:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Is anyone using bias or back lighting with their VT50? If so, are you having any reflection issues?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 09-04-2012, 06:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 253
If the bias light is properly installed there shouldn't be any panel reflection at all, unless the light is bouncing off of something else in the room and reflecting back to the panel. Is your VT50 wall mounted?
post #3 of 6 Old 09-04-2012, 11:35 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post

If the bias light is properly installed there shouldn't be any panel reflection at all, unless the light is bouncing off of something else in the room and reflecting back to the panel. Is your VT50 wall mounted?

Yes.
post #4 of 6 Old 09-05-2012, 09:13 AM

Liked: 22
I use it. I have 6 flourescent under counter lights velcroed to the back of my Panny TC-P55GT050. I used 2" velcro from Amazon. I bought the lights from Menards in Rapid City, SD (about 170 miles from my isolated home in Montana) because I couldn't find them on Amazon. I use a foot switch to operate it. On when the sun starts going down, and off when it's bedtime.
I got the idea from my 2005 50" Philips plasma with Ambilight. I had to remake the Ambilight feature by myself for this new TV, and this is the best way I have found to accomplish it.
The difference is like night and day. All the argueing about which TV has the blackest blacks could be solved with this feature. The pupils shrink from the bias light, so that blacks look blacker than they would without the bias light. I'm frankly surprised that no other manufacturer has even attempted this feature.
post #5 of 6 Old 09-05-2012, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 253
You have to remember that those of us who frequent here are a little out of the "normal" for tv owners, and understand the need for bias lights, proper calibrations, etc. and the science behind them. I'd venture to say that most tv owners don't know or care about such things so the market for Ambilights etc is a small one. Ideally, as close to 6500k and a CFI index of 90 or greater is best. However, those kinds of lights are hard to find in hardware stores, etc. Mine is rated at 5500k with an unknown CFI. Works fine for us though. Keep in mind that even the stated temperature rating might not be as accurate as one thinks. That's why some of the bias lights offered by some professional calibration services are probably better than what the DIY can put together because they can more tightly control how their bias lights are made, tested, and rated.
post #6 of 6 Old 09-09-2012, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazishere View Post

I use it. I have 6 flourescent under counter lights velcroed to the back of my Panny TC-P55GT050. I used 2" velcro from Amazon. I bought the lights from Menards in Rapid City, SD (about 170 miles from my isolated home in Montana) because I couldn't find them on Amazon. I use a foot switch to operate it. On when the sun starts going down, and off when it's bedtime.
I got the idea from my 2005 50" Philips plasma with Ambilight. I had to remake the Ambilight feature by myself for this new TV, and this is the best way I have found to accomplish it.
The difference is like night and day. All the argueing about which TV has the blackest blacks could be solved with this feature. The pupils shrink from the bias light, so that blacks look blacker than they would without the bias light. I'm frankly surprised that no other manufacturer has even attempted this feature.
'Ambilight' was mostly a perversion of this decades old professional technique:

'D65 Video Bias Lighting- Fundamental Theory And Practice'
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1162578
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page