Looking for a 50", have $1000, options? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 09-05-2012, 04:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys, looking to buy somehting in the 50" range and have about $1000 to spend.

Budget is not firm if i can get a substantially better TV for 1200-1400 i will go up i just dont know anything about plasma TV's so dont really know where the sweet spot is money/quality wise.

Just point me in the right direction and ill do some reaserch and come back with any questions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 09-05-2012, 08:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Panny plasma ST50 gets great reviews. It would help to describe your viewing room situation (light controlled?).
post #3 of 9 Old 09-05-2012, 10:12 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rifterut View Post

...., looking to buy somehting in the 50" range and have about $1000 to spend.
Budget is not firm ..... i just dont know anything about plasma TV's so dont really know where the sweet spot is money/quality wise......

In addition to the brightness of your normal viewing environment - what is your viewing Distance?

Expected usage of the panel? Typical program source(s)?

How "picky" of a viewer are you?

You have a Price Goal, with some flexibility: Why 50-inches? (And not some range - ?)

We like Panasonic, and own 3 of them (the latest a ST50) - but Samsung has received nice reviews on their 2012 models, and LG has at least one panel with a very enticing Price/Size ratio (the PA6500/6550). You may give up a bit of overall PQ with the LG, but they are handsome sets & each one we've seen has looked nice & bright: would guess the majority of owners are very pleased with their sets.
post #4 of 9 Old 09-05-2012, 07:43 PM - Thread Starter

Sorry for lack of info in the OP guys.

Room light is completly controllable i have blackout blinds, I work nights so sleep during the day and can make room completly dark if needed, or allow light if i want.

View Distance is 10 feet.

Size is also not set in stone i could fit any size i just assumed 50" was a good starting point. I would rather get a quality 50" for example over a cheap 60".
post #5 of 9 Old 09-05-2012, 07:44 PM - Thread Starter

Oh and source is mainly going to be my HTPC which is HDMI as well as a HDTV cable box which is also HDMI.
post #6 of 9 Old 09-05-2012, 07:52 PM - Thread Starter

Sorry for rash of add on posts but thought it would also be good to mention speaker quality is irrelivent it will be hooked up to a HK Reciever for stereo sound. So if a TV has good visual quality but crap sound thats ok as it will be hooked up to a good amp and good speakers.
post #7 of 9 Old 09-05-2012, 09:01 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rifterut View Post

Sorry for lack of info in the OP guys.
Room light is completly controllable i have blackout blinds.... and can make room completly dark if needed, or allow light if i want.
View Distance is 10 feet.
Size is also not set in stone i could fit any size i just assumed 50" was a good starting point. I would rather get a quality 50" for example over a cheap 60".

Would suggest checking prices / looking for sales on the 55" Pan ST50.

You can get the 60" LG PA6550 for around $1000 (or even a bit less), but the Pan should provide better overall PQ - and I don't THINK that the 60" ST50 falls under $1500 yet - ??

At 10feet, a 55" panel is a nice price / size compromise - nicely larger than a 50", but (hopefully!) at a lower price than a 60". It also will be more forgiving of source flaws than a 60" panel would be - although on that point a 50" (at 10 feet) would be even "better" (that is, less likely to Reveal source flaws.)

Best of Luck -
post #8 of 9 Old 09-06-2012, 05:31 AM

Liked: 14
I think you definitely have the right idea though of buying the best quality tv for the money and don't worry about size.
post #9 of 9 Old 09-09-2012, 10:02 PM - Thread Starter

Well i have now seen both sets mentioned above in person.

I know seeing them in store is less than idea but i brought a Blu-Ray and had them setup both TV's in the same room and i played around with the settings myself and watched half the movie on both sets(i have a friend that works at local electronics store, so could take my time)

I like the ST50 better.

Issue is local to me for $1000 i can get the 60" PA6550 not a problem, if i go with the ST50 for $1000 i can only get the 50", would need to step it up to $1500 for the 60" ST50.

So i guess issue is deciding if the extra $500 is worth the extra 10".
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page