Plasma repair help... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 09-06-2012, 06:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi everyone,

Long time lurker here. Heres the story. I was very recently given a tv that took a surge and stopped working. A Panasonic TC-P54Z1. It will no longer display any signal over HDMI. Being an installer and alarm guy I figured I would take a crack at fixing it and maybe have an awesome upgrade for little to nothing. Well after looking it over and reading the service manual over and over, Ive come to the conclusion its 1 of 2 boards that may have taken the hit and need replacing.

What Im asking for here is, if any of you out there, can help me find this part.I keep getting shot down at every turn so Im hoping you guys could help me out. I dont have alot (hence why im even bothering fixing this thing lol) But its worth at least a bluray to me if someone can find it. Google yields nothing that I have found useful. All the online shops thus far have no eta on getting it.

If any of you have a local shop you know, or better still are in the repair biz and can hook me up, PLEASE let me know. I would be tremendously grateful. Heres a link to the part # Panasonic TNPA4859AB GH Board

http://www.shopjimmy.com/panasonic-tnpa4859ab-gh-board.htm

And for anynone who wants to take a look and maybe confirm what I suspect, heres the service manual:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/46518674/Panasonic-Tc-p54z1-Chassis-Gpf12zu-12th-Generation-2009-Tech-guide-Training-ET#

Again, Id really appreciate any help fellas. Im nowhere near being able to afford a new tv and while this is an older set it would be an enjoyable upgrade. Let me know of you have anything.Also please dont overpay for the part if you find it. From what I gather, its a salvage part and should only run about 20 or so. If you find it for more than that email me and let me know. I cant reeally spend hundreds in the repair so the cheaper the better smile.gif

Thanks,

Luis

"With great power comes great responsibility"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 09-06-2012, 12:37 PM - Thread Starter

Realize I wrote that last part a little foggy this morning lol. I dont mean for anyone to outright buy it for me, I of course would reimburse the cost of the part ect. I just meant if it costs an absurd amount let me know as I would just scrap the idea of fixing it if cost is to high.

Thanks!

Luis

post #3 of 16 Old 09-06-2012, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis S View Post

I was very recently given a tv that took a surge and stopped working. A Panasonic TC-P54Z1. It will no longer display any signal over HDMI.

Were you given the tuner box along with the TV?

That which may be known of God is evident within man, for God has shown it to them, so that they are without excuse. (Romans 1:19-20)
post #4 of 16 Old 09-06-2012, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter

Yes I do actually. Unfortunately without the HDMI input working on the monitor I have nothing. They had an onkyo hooked up to the monitor hdmi input directly, bypassing the tuner. At some point the had a surge that fried the hdmi output of the onkyo as well as the input of the display. I suspect its the HDMI board but have been looking at possibly trying to replace the DA board too. That would be the next logical fix if the GH board proves to be ok. Amazing that a pricey tv like this wasnt better supported. Just my luck of course thinking I had a score. Look like it may be a lemon lol

Thanks,

Luis

post #5 of 16 Old 09-06-2012, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member

In the document you provided, the tuner also came with a wireless adapter, where the tuner box could be connected wirelessly to the display. With that apparatus, you would not need the HDMI cable hooked into the defective GH board.

That which may be known of God is evident within man, for God has shown it to them, so that they are without excuse. (Romans 1:19-20)
post #6 of 16 Old 09-06-2012, 02:58 PM - Thread Starter

Unfortunately the receiver does in fact need that HDMI connection. Note on page 17, slide #16 the wireless recever still connect to the monitors port. This had me pretty bummed as I had considered that idea as well frown.gif

Thanks,

Luis

post #7 of 16 Old 09-07-2012, 06:35 AM
AVS Special Member

I see that now. Thanks for the info. It does seem primitive to have separate external transmitter and receiver units without being built-in to the units themselves.

According to the service manual, page 187, the part number you need is TXNGH1DKUU (GH board).

Partstore.com shows it in stock for $23.77.

Shame that such an expensive TOTL TV can be so crippled by a $25 part!

post #8 of 16 Old 09-07-2012, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter

Tom you are my hero man! That is a different part number than what Ive been looking for, any idea if that change is just a production run thing or? Ive been going nuts looking for TPNA4859AB. This is so awesome I cant thank you enough! It is indeed pretty silly for something that small to nuke a tv like that...

Thanks again!

Luis

post #9 of 16 Old 09-09-2012, 06:10 PM - Thread Starter

Just an update; Ive ordered the part as you suggested Tom. I hope to have it early this week. As soon I get it and plug it in I will give you guys the final verdict. Hoping for good news smile.gif

post #10 of 16 Old 09-18-2012, 09:28 AM - Thread Starter

Well Im afraid its not looking good guys. I went through that site Tom and the first time around they sent the wrong part completely, and now they are searching through the warehouse network to see if they can still get it. Looks like im in limbo frown.gif

post #11 of 16 Old 09-18-2012, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

So sad. Panasonic Parts shows it backordered, so apparently it is not currently available from Panasonic. So hopefully Partstore can find one somewhere in their network. Keep us posted!

post #12 of 16 Old 09-18-2012, 10:59 AM - Thread Starter

I know, serous bummer I hope they can track one down for me. Tom, is here any testing I can do maybe with a meter, to confirm this pat is infact the one? I had the DA board and plugged that in but no dice. The monitor self check showed ok last I looked. In other words we can pretty safely say its not the main board or another component correct? One shop suggested that since im getting the error messages the sustain board and main board are probably intact. Also, would there be a suitable alternative part? Asuming this tv shares some components with another model. Let me know what you think.

Thanks,

Luis

post #13 of 16 Old 09-18-2012, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis S View Post

would there be a suitable alternative part? Assuming this tv shares some components with another model.

Your TV is quite unique, and that part is not shared with any other models. The only Panasonic technical document available is the one you mentioned in your original post, and the service manual mentioned earlier. Neither seems to address a HDMI connection failure, and the Self-Check on the monitor doesn't appear to check the GH board.

It might be worth a try to replace the DA board if it can be found inexpensively, since the GH board feeds the DA board. But most likely it is the GH board that is defective. I have seen A-boards on other Panasonic models that lose a HDMI port, but still work with the the other HDMI ports.

Perhaps the HDMI connector itself on the GH board is physically mangled? I've seen that also, from overweight cables used on the HDMI port.

post #14 of 16 Old 09-18-2012, 04:30 PM - Thread Starter

Hi Tom,

Thats what I was afraid of lol. I just tried the DA swap and no go there :(Unfortunately the board itself has no physical damage that I can see upon a glance. So it would be a project to rebuild the board somehow by tracing which actual component on the board crapped out. Probably more time than I can spare into the project. Any tips as to checking the board? Either visually or with testing equipment of some kind? I know this is going into major diy territory but its as close as Ill get to a new tv anytime soon smile.gif

Thanks,

Luis

post #15 of 16 Old 09-21-2012, 07:30 AM - Thread Starter

Well, heres the latest. My friend that I work for doing alarms and AV, happens to be pretty damn brilliant. He had been bugging me to bring him the board itself to look at. So yesterday, after work I took it to his house to get a verdict on weather it could be fixed at that level.

After looking it over, ( and laughing because Im out of my mind asking to fix such a tiny board) at first he wasnt optimistic. Theres a blown cap visable on the board but it is SMALL and of unknown value. And he guessed, being that the cap was on the underside of the eeprom chip, this thing was prob toast.

At that point we opened up the repair manual .pdf and he gave me some interesting news. Apparently ( I dont know how to read schematics lol) on the board, following the HDMI signal path is several protection circuits(?) protecting the important chips. So he assured me this was a VERY good thing. If those protection circuits did indeed take the hit, he was fairly confident he could fix it! biggrin.gif SO while I have a little hope now, I realize this is the final crapshoot. Wish me luck!

And if he does fix it, man hes gonna own me for awhile lol

Take Care,

Luis

post #16 of 16 Old 09-30-2012, 03:17 PM - Thread Starter

Sorry about the lack of a timely update. So my friend did infact examin the boad and find that there was a short in the processor. Needless to say it was a done deal. So after moping about for a couple of days lo and behold who should get the part? The very store Tom directed me to originally. So finally after a month of searching I received the part, plugged it in, fired it up, and now Im in heaven smile.gif Yeah its an older set an all, but coming from a KDS 50 A2020 I think it will do well for me. At least till I can find a 3d set to fix next time lol. Thanks for all the help. Its was a learning experience and the payoff is awesome. I have some trim (running cables patching holes etc) but its up and working beautifully biggrin.gif

Take Care,

Luis

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page