What's a good HDTV for a gamer these days, Plasma or LCD or ? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 09-11-2012, 05:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've been out of the loop since mines worked fine for years but this old 34 inch tubed Sony is dying it appears.

I game more than I watch TV so is there any opinions I can go on and price is a factor too

But 42 inch is plenty big for me I just have no clue what TV will not be laggy and look as good as the TV I am currently watching die, lol

Thanks for any help or links in the direction.

Also seeing the standbye is blinking 7 times then repeating.
I live in the woods so there are no places to even take this thing to

Tig
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 09-11-2012, 10:55 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 19
What model is the CRT and what are the symptoms? Does it just refuse to turn on? Late model Sony CRT failures are usually caused by a failing MCZ3001D chip. A couple of MCZ3001DB chips and sockets costs $20.
http://k0lee.com/2011/05/fixing-a-sony-wega-with-6-or-7-blink-code/
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1366567/sony-trinitron-wega-rlod-twenty-dollar-repair-guide/
post #3 of 10 Old 09-12-2012, 06:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Most of the led lcds and ccfl lcds seem to be maxing out at around 300-400 lines of motion resolution without motion processing enabled. Many people have problems with motion processing due to artifacts or just the way it looks. Generally if you pay more for an LCD you will get a higher motion resolution of around 600 lines without processing.
Plasmas can usually hit around 900 lines for 1080p models. Current 720p Plasmas aren't actually full 720p, they cut the horizontal res from 1366 to 1024 to save money and lower power draw.
Plasma will show some phosphor lag though where the color sub pixels don't change at the same rate.
Input lag will be a big factor for you as well, Plasmas generally do very well while lcds can lag behind when motion processing is enabled.
Input lag measurements can be found on the web, usually in a list format.

For the 400-600$ price range Sony, Samsung and Toshiba led lcds are good choices for overall picture quality. Samsung and Panasonic are the 2 best brands for Plasmas in the price range. Panasonic is probably a little better but also usually more expensive in the low end.

For 800-2000$ The Panasonic Plasmas like the st50 have a strong advantage. If you don't need an anti reflective filter you could move down to a ut50 or u50.
Vizio's 2012 led lcds are also very good for the price and available in a smaller screen size, but they fall behind the Panasonics in a few areas: http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/vizio-m3d470kd/4505-6482_7-35159744.html

Cnet.com is a great place to find measured performance like motion resolution of various tvs.
post #4 of 10 Old 09-12-2012, 09:01 AM - Thread Starter

It's turns itself off and blinks 7 times
I noticed the screen kind of sucking in with changing video feeds or in a game when changing things around.
It almost looks like low voltage but i am not sure what's up. It was doing it for a few days then started turning off
It just gets worse and worse and all of a sudden the screen blooms and it goes black and off

It's so far to a shop where I am and it's so heavy to transport and I just can't see putting half the cost of a new TV for this one right now
It also needs professional allignment as it's way off there on every side

Thanks
T

edit
I did just find a guy locally and he thinks he can fix it for 200ish but I'm questioning that once he gets it but now to decide fix the old CRT tube or spend under 3x that for a new TV with wifi and far more modern.

I'm stumped more now, lol

That's assuming he can actually fix it. He is really a backwoods repairmen but I did VCR repair for many years and did people fine for cheap
post #5 of 10 Old 09-12-2012, 09:43 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by homerging View Post

What model is the CRT and what are the symptoms? Does it just refuse to turn on? Late model Sony CRT failures are usually caused by a failing MCZ3001D chip. A couple of MCZ3001DB chips and sockets costs $20.
http://k0lee.com/2011/05/fixing-a-sony-wega-with-6-or-7-blink-code/
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1366567/sony-trinitron-wega-rlod-twenty-dollar-repair-guide/

I had to go look

KD34 XBR960

It was at that time considered the tv others were compared to for picture quality
but that was then this is now but it's a loaded TV, duel tuner pip with 7 inputs and great sound

I know the tv i'm looking at buying can't sound 1/10th as good, lol.

anyways, it looks like a not too hard fix but again spend 1/3rd a new one but then again i'm not sure how the panasonic compares to this TV picture wise. Mainly gaming. I game 95% of the time on this TV. Hell probably more than that, lol
post #6 of 10 Old 09-12-2012, 12:56 PM

So you're saying it actually turns off while running and not just at startup? I think MCZ3001D faults can sometimes cause voltage problems but that sounds more like failed electrolyte capacitors or even a faulty flyback transformer. Yours wouldn't be the first to have the main two filter caps blow. If it is the filter caps, and they're 1200uf 250volt parts, the part number you'd probably want for replacements is EKMQ251VSN122MR45S .
Quote:
It was at that time considered the tv others were compared to for picture quality
It still is. Despite its age it only lacks in inches and perhaps geometry against the very best flat panel televisions - in some areas like black levels it will still beat them. Unfortunately as good as the recent Panasonic plasmas are for picture quality, their sensitivity to image retention is such that I doubt their appropriateness for intensive usage as a gaming monitor.

If it was me I'd want to try and have it fixed. It's an exceptional TV and worthwhile repairing. There should be more knowledgeable people in the CRT forum on this website if you want to ask there.
Quote:
It also needs professional allignment as it's way off there on every side
If you're talking about overscan that can be addressed in the service menu, as can the red push. There is information about it in here
http://www.avsforum.com/t/531494/the-sony-service-codes-articles-comments-discoveries/
If you get the TV fixed. read through the warnings before going in there - do not reset to factory defaults.
post #7 of 10 Old 09-12-2012, 01:39 PM
Advanced Member

You could fix it, but I'd just go buy another xbr960, it'd probably be cheaper biggrin.gif

There's a couple other areas where it won't perform quite as well as the Panasonic Plasmas,
like static contrast and resolution, but the CRT will still have a deeper black level than even the 2012 Panasonics.
post #8 of 10 Old 09-14-2012, 06:07 AM

Sorry, I quite forgot about the resolution. It'd be about 3/4ths of 1080.

Buying another 960 unfortunately means having to find one and carry it some huge distance wink.gif

Often reviews list the response delay for PC/Game mode for gaming. Turn overscan off if you go for a new LCD. You should be able to give away your old CRT if you don't want to fix it to someone who will be happy to.
post #9 of 10 Old 09-15-2012, 05:31 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mik James View Post

Plasmas can usually hit around 900 lines for 1080p models.

I think ST,GT,VT Panny plasmas have hit 1080 lnes of motion resolution for a couple of years now.

Michael
post #10 of 10 Old 09-16-2012, 10:49 AM
Advanced Member

Id carry it biggrin.gif but then i again i was recently considering upgrading from a 51" crt rear pro to a 57-65" crt rear pro.

Good to hear that theyve hit 1080 lines i kind of look at it like convergence on a crt though, until they have all three colored phosphors lined up during motion i can't really consider it a full 1080 lines of resolution, they're working on it though.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page