Panasonic VT50 vs Samsung E8000 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 09-13-2012, 06:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Looking to pick up a plasma and have come down to these two. This will be in a light controlled, dedicated media room (no windows). Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 09-13-2012, 06:51 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by mystik610 View Post

Looking to pick up a plasma and have come down to these two. This will be in a light controlled, dedicated media room (no windows). Any thoughts?

Have you read the official threads for these two models to see which is the best fit for your particular needs/sources/content etc? There are a lot existing posts comparing these two but the bottom line is that you have to weigh the strengths and weaknesses of each display against one another and pick the one that fits your wants and needs better. The Panny does some things better and the Sammy does other things better and that's all been discussed a lot around here already.

Panny: Better blacks, better colors, brighter screen, but 720p content/sources look soft.

Sammy: Better processing and crisper image, but slightly poorer colors and poorer black level.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR605, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #3 of 6 Old 09-13-2012, 09:35 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystik610 View Post

Sammy: Better processing and crisper image, but slightly poorer colors and poorer black level.

A bit fague and a better choice of words could have been used. A better description would be that colour accuracy is slightly better on the Panasonic but is subjective and many may only see the difference in side by side comparisons. Again, blacks are deeper on the Panny, especially in a light controlled environment. There is nothing "poor" with the colours or blacks on the Samsung.
post #4 of 6 Old 09-13-2012, 03:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 35
The VT50 won the VE shootout against all 2012 top displays, and generally gets the best reviews.
post #5 of 6 Old 01-22-2013, 03:30 AM

Liked: 11
I need to buy a new tv. My 4 year old samsung A850 lcd is dying and a big brown spot is visible in light scenes and white images like snow and sky.

I really want to go plasma because of the screen uniformity. That was the a850s biggest problem. I was able to dial the screen in so that it was very accurate in regards to color, but if I had one complaint it would be black levels and screen uniformity.

I'm considering either the e8000 or the VT50. The VT50 has been getting stellar reviews but I fear the possibility of image retention or worse; burn in.

Is the e8000 comparable to the VT50? Does the VT50 have less image retention problems than the GT50 and ST50? How does the VT50 compare to the E8000 in a moderately lit room by one relatively bright lamp?

Sorry for all the questions. Its just hard to go into best buy considering all those factors that typically won't be noticed until a week after use anyway. I really appreciate all the help.

EDIT: typo
post #6 of 6 Old 01-22-2013, 03:44 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipodchicken View Post

I need to by a new tv. My 4 year old samsung A850 lcd is dying and a big brown spot is visible in light scenes and white images like snow and sky.

I really want to go plasma because of the screen uniformity. That was the a850s biggest problem. I was able to dial the screen in so that it was very accurate in regards to color, but if I had one complaint it would be black levels and screen uniformity.

I'm considering either the e8000 or the VT50. The VT50 has been getting stellar reviews but I fear the possibility of image retention or worse; burn in.

Is the e8000 comparable to the VT50? Does the VT50 have less image retention problems than the GT50 and ST50? How does the VT50 compare to the E8000 in a moderately lit room by one relatively bright lamp?

Sorry for all the questions. Its just hard to go into best buy considering all those factors that typically won't be noticed until a week after use anyway. I really appreciate all the help.

The fact that your Samsung is dying after only 4 years would put me off of their sets. I've been buying Panny plasmas for years and they are all still going strong. The VT50 is awesome.

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page