$300 more??? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 09-13-2012, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hey all, would like to upgrade from my 65V10 to either the ST50 or GT50. I can get the GT50 for about $300 more than the ST50. But is it worth it?

It'll be used for 40% gaming, 40% satellite, and 20% blu rays.

If I get the ST50 I will probably have it calibrated. If I get the GT50 I probably will NOT have it calibrated. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-13-2012, 03:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 38
IMO, PQ will be better with a calibrated ST50 than an uncalibrated GT50.
Why are you upgrading from the V10?
post #3 of 7 Old 09-13-2012, 03:53 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillP View Post

IMO, PQ will be better with a calibrated ST50 than an uncalibrated GT50.
Why are you upgrading from the V10?

For some reason my V10 doesn't impress me with its PQ. My 42S1 looks better than the V10... noticeably better. Perhaps my V10 is suffering from a major black level rise. Whatever the case, it just certainly isn't impressive at all. Another reason is that I think I'd like to get into the world of 3D. I was kinda leaning towards the ST50 and getting it calibrated. Hmm...

post #4 of 7 Old 09-13-2012, 05:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by terminal33 View Post

For some reason my V10 doesn't impress me with its PQ. My 42S1 looks better than the V10... noticeably better. Perhaps my V10 is suffering from a major black level rise. Whatever the case, it just certainly isn't impressive at all. Another reason is that I think I'd like to get into the world of 3D. I was kinda leaning towards the ST50 and getting it calibrated. Hmm...

I was in your boat as well but went to Best Buy to see the ST50 and thought it was not as nice looking as the GT50 in terms of the physical appearance. Part of having a sweet big set is for it to look nice as a piece of furniture.

To me the physical appearance and the fact that it has THX modes plus an extra HDMI is worth the extra 300
post #5 of 7 Old 09-13-2012, 06:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJPapi1977 View Post

I was in your boat as well but went to Best Buy to see the ST50 and thought it was not as nice looking as the GT50 in terms of the physical appearance. Part of having a sweet big set is for it to look nice as a piece of furniture.
To me the physical appearance and the fact that it has THX modes plus an extra HDMI is worth the extra 300

Agree that GT50 styling is better than ST50, but for me, styling is relatively unimportant.
If you get your display calibrated, you don't need THX mode (THX mode is really for out-of-the-box accuracy if you don't get it calibrated).
post #6 of 7 Old 09-13-2012, 06:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillP View Post

Agree that GT50 styling is better than ST50, but for me, styling is relatively unimportant.
If you get your display calibrated, you don't need THX mode (THX mode is really for out-of-the-box accuracy if you don't get it calibrated).

I understand that is not important to you but it is for many who spend a lot of money and want the pq to match the style of the tv if it is going in a living room.

I was not impressed at all with the style of the ST50....That is just me, I rather spend a little more to get the extra hdmi and the thx plus it looking better physically then the plastic looking ST50
post #7 of 7 Old 09-13-2012, 09:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 147
If aesthetics are important to you, you need an extra port for whatever reason, or you need two really good picture modes (one for day and one for night) then get the GT50. On the ST50, you can only really use Custom and Cinema for Day/Night but Cinema lacks any gamma control and it's a little low (around 2 - 2.1). You generally want your gamma to be between 2.2 - 2.5 depending on room lighting. Typically a lower gamma is better suited for a bright room, but I don't know the brightness capabilities of Cinema mode (I have only calibrated Custom where you can reach upwards of 50fL). I have used Cinema mode for a bit and it looks like it can get pretty bright, so you could use Cinema for day and Custom for night (or vice versa).

As Bill said, the GT50 will slightly outperform the ST50 out-of-thebox, but a calibrated ST50 will outperform an uncalibrated GT50 in THX mode, and both will perform the same after calibration. As for aesthetics, the ST50 is fine in my books.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page