ST 50 brightness compared to ST 30,how much better is the picture. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 19 Old 09-18-2012, 06:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I bought a ST 30 60 last year and I am happy with it but there is one major area where my Sammy LCD 650 kills it and that is in brightness contrast pop!

I like every thing about the ST 30 60 but the fact that it is not as bright as I like makes it a toss up between my older 650 Sammy but I think I prefer the Sammy because it is more versitile for this reason and you can place it in a bright room.

The colors are better on the ST30 but on whites the Sammy looks a good bit better. I am going to get a new TV and my Sammy 650 has been great but I want to stick with plasma and most everybody say's Pannies are the way to go?, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again!

And by the way most of the LED I look have unnatural over done colors and my old 650 LCD looks better to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 09-18-2012, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Realslowww View Post

I bought a ST 30 60 last year and I am happy with it but there is one major area where my Sammy LCD 650 kills it and that is in brightness contrast pop!
I like every thing about the ST 30 60 but the fact that it is not as bright as I like makes it a toss up between my older 650 Sammy but I think I prefer the Sammy because it is more versitile for this reason and you can place it in a bright room.
The colors are better on the ST30 but on whites the Sammy looks a good bit better. I am going to get a new TV and my Sammy 650 has been great but I want to stick with plasma and most everybody say's Pannies are the way to go?, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again!
And by the way most of the LED I look have unnatural over done colors and my old 650 LCD looks better to me.

ST50 is much brighter better contrast ratio, curious if you are using mid-panel brightness on your ST30, also are you using custom or cinema ?

65VT60
55ST60
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
post #3 of 19 Old 09-18-2012, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply, if the ST 50 is alot brighter than it must be a awesome set because that in my opinion is what is wrong with these sets.Today I just bought a 899 $ panny that was on sale for 699,it is the current model with out 3D and I am real impressed for a 50 incher with this kind of picture for 700$

I just put it in front of my Sammy 650 LCD and I am watching it right now and it is so much more natural and real looking than the LCD but it is lacking some in brightness. Is the ST 50 much brighter than their entry level 1080 plasma set's?

I do not watch the ST 30 60 very much and put it in cinema and kind of left it as a backroom TV. These Plasma's are really coming along in picture. Any help on setting up my 60 ST 30 is very welcome.

For the money the 55 st 50 looks like the deal to replace my 650 LCD and I am just wondering how much brightness it is lacking compared to a good LCD because it will be in a room that is lit.

Any help would be great.
post #4 of 19 Old 09-18-2012, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post

ST50 is much brighter better contrast ratio, curious if you are using mid-panel brightness on your ST30, also are you using custom or cinema ?

What is the mid panel brightness? I played around with the custom settings some and I can tune it a bit from there. Any help on custom would be great I read a few threads on the ST 30 vs ST 50 on this site and it told me the ST 50 is a good bit better set.

I read one comment where someone posted the green n pink rings and lines had been eliminated on the ST 50 and I never really payed to much attention to my ST 30 because I do not watch it alot and now I was tuning the picture and I noticed the green n pink rainbow like rings. Is there any way to tune them down some?
post #5 of 19 Old 09-18-2012, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What is the mid panel brightness? I played around with the custom settings some and I can tune it a bit from there. Any help on custom would be great I read a few threads on the ST 30 vs ST 50 on this site and it told me the ST 50 is a good bit better set.
I read one comment where someone posted the green n pink rings and lines had been eliminated on the ST 50 and I never really payed to much attention to my ST 30 because I do not watch it alot and now I was tuning the picture and I noticed the green n pink rainbow like rings. Is there any way to tune them down some?

Search for the ST30 DIY thread and look at "Jimmy's" Settings most folks like those. Mid panel brightness is availible on the custom menu under advanced settings. You wont be able to get it as bright as the ST50 but you may want to try those settings before deciding to upgrade. I had my ST30 pro calibrated and it rocks(again not discounting the ST50 obviously an improvement).

I have never seen the "green and pink" lines on my set so cant comment on that.

65VT60
55ST60
Calman Enthusiast
post #6 of 19 Old 09-18-2012, 03:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for the reply, if the ST 50 is alot brighter than it must be a awesome set because that in my opinion is what is wrong with these sets.Today I just bought a 899 $ panny that was on sale for 699,it is the current model with out 3D and I am real impressed for a 50 incher with this kind of picture for 700$
I just put it in front of my Sammy 650 LCD and I am watching it right now and it is so much more natural and real looking than the LCD but it is lacking some in brightness. Is the ST 50 much brighter than their entry level 1080 plasma set's?
I do not watch the ST 30 60 very much and put it in cinema and kind of left it as a backroom TV. These Plasma's are really coming along in picture. Any help on setting up my 60 ST 30 is very welcome.
For the money the 55 st 50 looks like the deal to replace my 650 LCD and I am just wondering how much brightness it is lacking compared to a good LCD because it will be in a room that is lit.
Any help would be great.

What is the model number of the plasma you purchased ?

65VT60
55ST60
Calman Enthusiast
post #7 of 19 Old 09-18-2012, 03:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

What is the model number of the plasma you purchased ?

The one I bought today is a TCP50U50, the ST30 60 was manufactured in June 2011 and has a serial of MG11540595.
post #8 of 19 Old 09-18-2012, 04:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The one I bought today is a TCP50U50, the ST30 60 was manufactured in June 2011 and has a serial of MG11540595.

U50 is a good set not sure how bright it gets tho.

65VT60
55ST60
Calman Enthusiast
post #9 of 19 Old 09-18-2012, 04:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

U50 is a good set not sure how bright it gets tho.
It was either the Sammy 51 or Panny and two sales people told me they have more issues with Sammy but my LCD 650 52 has been going for 4 and a 1/2 years with 0 issues but it was 2300 $ also.

You know the LCD Plasma thing has me going but I have come to the conclusion that the fact the plasmas are getting brighter is all they need to be truly king. The LCD and LED's need more work than that.
post #10 of 19 Old 09-18-2012, 05:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 55
I have a 50ST30 and ended up setting the panel to mid brightness and it came alive, looks much better for daytime use. It can cause facial tones to be a bit red and is a little hard to get the red out of peoples faces but I'm close. I'd recommend trying that before giving up on your 60". Look for it with custom mode selected. After that scroll down to pro settings then go down a page and look for it there along with other settings. I use it in a bedroom and we watch shows in the dark and it works fine then also.
post #11 of 19 Old 09-18-2012, 08:52 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Trying to decide between ST50 & UT50. Sears has great selection on display including the U50. All have great pictures. My living room is on the east side with 5 windows and 4 lamps. I currently have a 51" Hitachi rear projection crt with glass screen. I have had this TV for 8 years and lived with glare so I am accustomed. Very interested in the ST50 but wondering if I need the anti-glare screen since I am used to a glass front anyway. We do not darken room at night and I can see lamp reflection but not a problem.
post #12 of 19 Old 09-19-2012, 04:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by slclem001 View Post

Trying to decide between ST50 & UT50. Sears has great selection on display including the U50. All have great pictures. My living room is on the east side with 5 windows and 4 lamps. I currently have a 51" Hitachi rear projection crt with glass screen. I have had this TV for 8 years and lived with glare so I am accustomed. Very interested in the ST50 but wondering if I need the anti-glare screen since I am used to a glass front anyway. We do not darken room at night and I can see lamp reflection but not a problem.

My opinion is plasmas just do not cut it in a bright room that is why I am asking about the newer plasmas. I own 3 panny plasmas and 1 LCD and I bought one of the best LCDs ever made according to a tech on this site. The Samsung 650 LCD is great when light is in the room but has problems in dark conditions with spot lights in the upper corners. According to the tech on this site my LCD had a better picture than most LEDs and I have to agree most of the LEDs I have looked at are not natural looking.

More than likely if you are in a bright room the ST50 will not cut it but if it is brighter than my ST 30 and has deeper blacks then you may want to consider it on that merit alone because in the right conditions the picture must be beautiful,My ST 30 is beautiful but it is not bright enough and blacks could be deeper but all that said the picture is so right that more of this kind of right that the ST 50 will give you is just very life like in like a way LCD or LED cannot match in my opinion.
post #13 of 19 Old 09-19-2012, 05:40 AM

I have come to the realization I will need to spend nearly twice the amount for an LED or LCD to get similar PQ of a plasma. I really can't justify spending $2k as opposed to $1k. I have read so many comments regarding lighting/brightness it kinda has me confused and questioning if my room is even considered bright light. Certainly my room is not as bright as the TV display areas at BB & Sears. I am not big into calibrating but certainbly can change settings to match what someone has recommended in a forum and basically i have done that with all my TVs. I just want to purchase a TV, install, turn on and pretty much be done except for menu settings. I hope a plasma is right for me. They sure look great in the store. I will purchase something by end of the week.
post #14 of 19 Old 09-19-2012, 06:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have come to the realization I will need to spend nearly twice the amount for an LED or LCD to get similar PQ of a plasma. I really can't justify spending $2k as opposed to $1k. I have read so many comments regarding lighting/brightness it kinda has me confused and questioning if my room is even considered bright light. Certainly my room is not as bright as the TV display areas at BB & Sears. I am not big into calibrating but certainbly can change settings to match what someone has recommended in a forum and basically i have done that with all my TVs. I just want to purchase a TV, install, turn on and pretty much be done except for menu settings. I hope a plasma is right for me. They sure look great in the store. I will purchase something by end of the week.

I think Plasma will work for you not problem, you might want to go ST50 tho to get the AR filter. The Samsung E6500 is also an excellent set.

65VT60
55ST60
Calman Enthusiast
post #15 of 19 Old 09-19-2012, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter

I think the ST 50 in a 50 or 55 inch are the best value from what I have seen but if it is in a room with lots of light or sun forget it! You have got to figure that out.
post #16 of 19 Old 09-19-2012, 02:44 PM - Thread Starter

I have been evaluating my 60 ST 30 for the last 24 hours, I litterally bought this thing put it in my bedroom and put it on cinema and left it. I have been playing with it in custom and have gotten it brighter with more contrast and pop, I bought this TV on a impulse buy when the US credit rating was down graded because I thought they might go up in price alot so I pulled the trigger.

My evalution goes like this,these TV's are flawed and the reason is they are not bright enough. This TV ST 30 has a tendacy to look dull in alot of scenes because it lacks POP in brightness. It is amazing in one scene and the next scene looks lackluster because it is to dim. I have played around with the settings and it is better but no match for a good LCD or LED at lighting up the screen.

I should have waited a year and got the ST 50, if it is brighter has deeper blacks and does not have the green and pink rainbows on some scenes (on mine especially in beige scenes) and around the edges.

If anybody knows of a cure for the green n pink glare rings in some scenes please help.

I could not figure out why I did not watch this TV all year and now I know why,the picture is inconsistant from scene to scene not only that the uniformty of the Picture along the edges is inconsistant as well because it is not bright enough. On some scenes it takes your breath away and the next the TV seems to have problems. Maybe it is me, some help and guidance would be great but if the ST 50 addressed the issues I am having with the ST 30 then that would be a truly nice set.

As it stands now I like my old Sammy 650 better even though the ST 30 is capable of looking alot better in some scenes but drops the ball in to many other areas that make the viewing inconsistant!

I will look at Jimmy's settings and thanks for any help.
post #17 of 19 Old 09-19-2012, 04:46 PM

If the ST50 is positioned at sitting level and you walk up to the front (within a few feet) and slowly move forward looking down at an angle the screen darkens greatly because of the filter. Same thing if you have it mounted on the wall high and look up. I have to get past that as it bugs me...especially when a UT50 is on display beside it and keeps the same clarity & brightness from every angle. I have delt with this for 8 years from a rear projection crt. I just have to try and make a good decision first time because I really do not want to purchase a TV and send it back.
post #18 of 19 Old 09-19-2012, 05:54 PM

Liked: 12
I haven't viewed a ST50 to compare. But, I love my ST30 and really enjoy watching it. I will agree during the day some times the ST30 could use a little more brightness, but for nighttime viewing—which is 90% of my viewing time—It's fine. Also, the whites on my ST30 are "white" and not muddy. Reality is, anything that is critical viewing should be watch in subdued lighting anyway.Also, just to put it out there with all the anti-Panasonic talk going on at the moment, Image Retention has been almost nonexistent and the few times I noticed it, it lasted a few seconds before clearing. In seconds , I mean literally 5 or 10 seconds tops. I am a VERY happy Panasonic ST30 owner
post #19 of 19 Old 09-19-2012, 06:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

If the ST50 is positioned at sitting level and you walk up to the front (within a few feet) and slowly move forward looking down at an angle the screen darkens greatly because of the filter. Same thing if you have it mounted on the wall high and look up. I have to get past that as it bugs me...especially when a UT50 is on display beside it and keeps the same clarity & brightness from every angle. I have delt with this for 8 years from a rear projection crt. I just have to try and make a good decision first time because I really do not want to purchase a TV and send it back.

Right now I am comparing my ST 30 to my LCD 650 at night and with my new settings I dialed in it humiliates my 650 if all conditions are right with a good signal.

The 650 LCD looks good consistantly night or day and when a scene goes not as bright it does not fall of a cliff like my ST 30 does but if you put a good signal in the St 30 in the dark it kills it good.

I can not imagine how good a ST 50 must look at night with a good signal as long as it does not fall of a cliff when the signal is not bright enough I think it is the one to get.

If it is really quit a bit brighter and has a deeper black matt get it and you will be blown away unless you use it in a bright room all the time.

I put my 60 ST 30 in my bedroom because I realized immeditiately it was not bright enough for a lit room but if the ST 50 is brighter it may work well enough in a lit room for you but when you turn the lights down look out you will be blown away big time viewing from a proper distance. Once the plasmas go a little more in the direction they are going they should shelf LCD n LED bad.

I really do not get into the tech stuff but I have read and heard from several sources Plasma is a superior technology to LCD or LED for picture quality and I believe they are proving it with these new generation panels, just a little more brightness and we are there.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page