Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 35 Old 11-26-2012, 01:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrophoric View Post

I believe this is why I sold my first plasma. There is no specific rule, as every display is different. Do this, don't do that, it should just be a TV that you buy and bring home. So much work to avoid such a distracting and possibly permanent issue.

+1!

With great technology comes great responsibility...

I'm on my second TC-P60GT50 and it's a "-2" model so something changed from my May '12 original that had no revision branding. The two behaviors I did different the second time, which has so far avoided IR and uneven phosphor wear, was keeping brightness limited to THX Cinema mode for all inputs and stretching input video to avoid black bars. (I stretch input using the STB so it's automatic.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrophoric View Post

I guess since I already have a TV, I can just connect this one on the side and run it for a few weeks with the slides. Although, that is a huge pain to both my time and patience ... not to mention it doesn't guarantee a damn thing.

Based on my experience with multiple sets of the same model and getting IR/uneven phosphor wear on the first set, you're good to go without running slides and doing what I did above. Put the TV in the main position and enjoy it... the picture is amazing! It's too nice to put on the side. smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 35 Old 11-26-2012, 01:51 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by larrygeary View Post

The service menu has both a full brightness white screen (same brightness as the white part of the scrolling bar) and a scrolling bar that does not time out. Here's what you do:
1. Press Volume DOWN on the TV while pressing Info on the remote 3 times within 2-3 seconds. The set will enter Service Mode.
2. The 2 and 3 buttons navigate the main menu. Press the 2 button until the screen turns full white. (I think it's two presses.)
3. The 3 and 4 buttons select sub-menus. Once on the white screen, you can press 3 several times to cycle through various screens until you reach the scrolling bar. Pressing 4 once may get you there directly.
4. When finished, turn off the set using the power button on the TV.
DO NOT touch any other buttons on the remote, because you can accidentally change a value in service mode, and there is no "reset to defaults" option if you didn't notice what the value was before you changed it. (Dumb design decision IMO.)
I have the full white screen on now to see if it will eliminate that lighter bar I mentioned above. I don't know if the white screen or the scrolling bar would be better, but I'll let the white screen run until the weekend.

Thanks for the directions! The 4:3 bar discoloration in post #10 was very visible when viewing the white screen. I ran the white screen and scrolling white bar for almost 24-hours... it didn't fix my issues. (Amazon replaced the set for a different reason: stripped screws in the TV stand!)
post #33 of 35 Old 11-26-2012, 02:37 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivatech View Post

+1!
With great technology comes great responsibility...
I'm on my second TC-P60GT50 and it's a "-2" model so something changed from my May '12 original that had no revision branding. The two behaviors I did different the second time, which has so far avoided IR and uneven phosphor wear, was keeping brightness limited to THX Cinema mode for all inputs and stretching input video to avoid black bars. (I stretch input using the STB so it's automatic.)
Based on my experience with multiple sets of the same model and getting IR/uneven phosphor wear on the first set, you're good to go without running slides and doing what I did above. Put the TV in the main position and enjoy it... the picture is amazing! It's too nice to put on the side. smile.gif

Hrm, not sure about the Cinema mode but I know my content will be varied, containing static images (video games and PC work). So I'd assume it best to wait on those, at least for now. I can understand movies and TV, with 16:9 and no logos.

Since I am getting it from Best Buy, the exchange should be easy if needed. Guess I have nothing to lose, just the hassle and disappointment.
post #34 of 35 Old 11-26-2012, 04:46 PM
AVS Special Member

I used the slides, and am glad I did. Whether or not this helps with IR or PQ, I don't know, but if I hadn't used the slides I might not have noticed the dead green subpixel until after the return period. As it was, I noticed it within a day and the dealer replaced the set the next day.

Steve
post #35 of 35 Old 01-06-2013, 10:30 AM

I have a "whitewash" screen on my PN51E530.
The screen scrolls from right to left, going from 100% black to 100% white in 2 "washes" on one screen.
The pattern results in the cells glowing from absolute 0% (on the left), incrementing in shades to 100% white (on right side), repeat cycle.
Appears to be some sort of randomized static/noise applied to the shades as well so the cells are firing in random patterns on certain shade "blocks" (ie: every ~+-15% increment in shade you can see "static", or possibly rapid firing of the cells, if you look close).

I've heard of people using this setting to burn-in their sets successfully, though I'm uncertain of how wise it is.

Samsung has commented in other forums that this does not harm the panel.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page