Plasma health concerns - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 09-24-2012, 11:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Seriously I am wondering if there are health concerns from plasma, especially considering we get so much TV in size these days. A good example is the panasonic U series (I think). I am referring to the panasonic series which you can got 50" plasma at Sams for 600 buck these days. I had two identical sets similar to this only 2008 technology before. I always noticed the heat comming from the screen. In my recent attempts to replace those sets, I have had some serious doubts as to go back with plasma or not. Near as I can tell the energy output/consumption may have improved about 20% in real time, and then more considering the "tune down setting options" to further control their output. Apparently some brands just emit more energy off the screen. The Panasonic has to be the foremost on the market in my guestimation.

So while on the hunt, I stopped in front of the 50" plasma at Sams today just to see if the heat was still comming off the screen, AND IT IS.. Notably, the LG60" I am testing does not put out even half that much all considered. I dont really know why. But with regard to the Panasonic, if you put your hand 2 inches from the screen you can denote heat, and serious heat. But more interestingly, if you put your face even as close as 12-15" from the screen, you can feel a "tingle on your face". I am guaranteeing you THIS IS NOT CONDUCTIVE HEAT you are feeling. I dont know what it is, but I have a suspicion it is some kind of energy radiating off the screen. So I am trying to track down an explanation other than general BS, so that I can ease my concerns.

Any thoughts or input technical or not are appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2012, 11:38 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbc3 View Post

Seriously I am wondering if there are health concerns from plasma, especially considering we get so much TV in size these days. A good example is the panasonic U series (I think). I am referring to the panasonic series which you can got 50" plasma at Sams for 600 buck these days. I had two identical sets similar to this only 2008 technology before. I always noticed the heat comming from the screen. In my recent attempts to replace those sets, I have had some serious doubts as to go back with plasma or not. Near as I can tell the energy output/consumption may have improved about 20% in real time, and then more considering the "tune down setting options" to further control their output. Apparently some brands just emit more energy off the screen. The Panasonic has to be the foremost on the market in my guestimation.
So while on the hunt, I stopped in front of the 50" plasma at Sams today just to see if the heat was still comming off the screen, AND IT IS.. Notably, the LG60" I am testing does not put out even half that much all considered. I dont really know why. But with regard to the Panasonic, if you put your hand 2 inches from the screen you can denote heat, and serious heat. But more interestingly, if you put your face even as close as 12-15" from the screen, you can feel a "tingle on your face". I am guaranteeing you THIS IS NOT CONDUCTIVE HEAT you are feeling. I dont know what it is, but I have a suspicion it is some kind of energy radiating off the screen. So I am trying to track down an explanation other than general BS, so that I can ease my concerns.

Probably more health will be negatively impacted by clogged arteries, from sitting in front of the TV for hours eating popcorn and potatoes chips, than from any screen heat, lol.
smurphee likes this.
Old 09-25-2012, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by indio22 View Post

Probably more health will be negatively impacted by clogged arteries, from sitting in front of the TV for hours eating popcorn and potatoes chips, than from any screen heat, lol.

^^^ This.....Unless you are sitting 12-15" from the TV for hours on end, I dont think you have much to worry about....If there were health concerns they would have been posted about 320482948320954745 times in this forum. Plasmas give off heat, just a nature of the beast.....
Old 09-26-2012, 09:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 33
You"ve had two plasma TV's in the past so it's too late, the damage has been done:) so go get the biggest, baddest plasma you can find and leave it on all time.

PSN: ROLL_mf_TIDE

Vizio M601D-A3R w/ Vizio VSB207BT soundbar | Vizio M501D-A2R | PS3 Slim | PS4 | Harmony 650 Remote | DirecTV Genie WHDVR | Sony S5100 BD Player
Old 09-26-2012, 11:25 PM

Liked: 35
Just make sure you're always wearing pants when it's on, & the worst case scenario will be a mild case of esophageal cancer. Even then, HIGHLY unlikely.
Old 09-27-2012, 01:58 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
If you don't want the TV electric rays to touch you, get a am radio and set the dial to am 540, then with the volume on loud bring it close to the electric machine and listen to the radio start to squeal loudly.

Then bring the radio farther from the TV until the squealing stops, that's where the electric rays stop affecting the radio and where it's not affecting you.
Old 09-27-2012, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
Quote:

...But with regard to the Panasonic, if you put your hand 2 inches from the screen you can denote heat, and serious heat. But more interestingly, if you put your face even as close as 12-15" from the screen, you can feel a "tingle on your face". I am guaranteeing you THIS IS NOT CONDUCTIVE HEAT you are feeling. I dont know what it is, but I have a suspicion it is some kind of energy radiating off the screen. So I am trying to track down an explanation other than general BS, so that I can ease my concerns.

Well, in "guaranteeing" anything like this, you're kinda contributing to the BS that litters the internet. All plasmas generate heat - some more than others - this will never change.

BTW, unless you're putting your face in physical contact with the screen, heat cannot be conducted, it is radiated. Any sensation you're getting beyond that could have a multitude of sources, most likely good old static electricity (coupled with paranoia wink.gif). Honestly, if you have concerns about this potential "exposure" to something you percieve to be harmful then you'll probably want to dig a hole and live a few hundered feet underground because you're getting every imaginable form of radiation exposure every day. Just be happy that plasma technology gives you a CRT-like picture without the high energy radiation those things are capable of releasing (which, BTW, has never been shown to pose any significant health risk). About the only thing plasmas may radiate more than other devices is RFI. I'm not aware of any risk to low level RFI exposure.
Old 09-27-2012, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvidHiker View Post

BTW, unless you're putting your face in physical contact with the screen, heat cannot be conducted, it is radiated.

It can be convected, which is fundamentally the same as conducted. The heat is conducted to the air which then moves to his face. I would guess what he's feeling is a combination of radiated heat and convection. Either way, it's not gamma rays or beta particles. So nothing to worry about.
Old 09-27-2012, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Well, yes, I was simplifying things a bit since this isn't terribly important. But, I would argue that most of the heat is being radiated. Convective heat, for the most part, is what comes off the top of the TV (as it relies on gravity).

Anyway, agreed - no high energy radiation. CRTs do produce x-rays however, which is probably where all the TV paranoia comes from...

http://www.fda.gov/Radiation-EmittingProducts/ResourcesforYouRadiationEmittingProducts/ucm252764.htm

"It is important to note also that flat panel TVs incorporating Liquid Crystal Displays (LCD) or Plasma displays are not capable of emitting x-radiation. As such these products and are not subject to the FDA standard and do not pose a public health hazard."
Old 09-28-2012, 03:05 PM - Thread Starter

I disagree. Until someone shows a demonstration of plasma television running with appropriate meters on possible spectrums, then it has been documented.

I found threads indicating plasmas emit UV rays too.

There is also the question of how much electromagentic field is created by different TVs - whatever the emission. And how they related.

I find it interesting that there is no definitive testing pubished and visible to see, and so much speculative technical hearsay, ESPECIALLY when we are in a strange era when one can BLAST themselves with 60" of screen.

Further, plasma screen technology is continually changing, contrary to the publish believe that they are "Dead". Many plasma screens produced over the last decade even contain a highly radioactive material, which I believe can be used in the worst type radioactive material production purpose. Granted, it was in miniscule amounts, but really we should be smart enough to know it only takes ONE in certain criteria. And there is no telling what the varying conditions can create.

The bottom line is that I am sure they are safe as indicated by regulating authorities, but I was just inquiring as to what the actual real conditions are, where are lightly publicized at best. So that is all.

Further, IT SIMPLY CANT BE DISPUTED. Whatever Panasonic is doing with their plasma sets is different. The 60" LG plasma I have simply does not put the same type energy out of the screen. This is noteworthy ENOUGHT for further inquiry to the matter. It does not take a rocket scientist to know that when one puts their face near of panasonic plasma screen - ITS "HOT". You can the further remove your face from the screen and feel a definite action on the skin, which I DONT THINK is conductive heat. Its not like typical heat from an over rolling out through the air. AND if there is any truth to the Panasonic being able to "radiate" out a tingle other than conductive heat, and as far as 12-15 inches, then this should be a concern. That would be too much of something. PERIOD.

I can definitely see where the user opinions of these screens exists related to this. There are several different manyfacturers of the actual screen, and who knows how the varying hardware and firmware applications that drive the screens as deisgned by the various manufacturers relate?!! I THINK panasonic has classically used a Sharp brand plasm screen - I think. I know there have been changes by some manufacturers as to the fundamental ingredients of the screen's composition as of late. I AM satisfied with the physically notable emissions that my 60" LG plasma emits. I AM SUPRISED how "hot" even the newest Panasonic screens are.!! STILL, this does not differentiate anything good or bad for either. I was just inquiring about some solid data. I will review the other posts over time and see if anyone posted anything worthy of reviewing. Any links here are appreciated..
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvidHiker View Post

Well, in "guaranteeing" anything like this, you're kinda contributing to the BS that litters the internet. All plasmas generate heat - some more than others - this will never change.
BTW, unless you're putting your face in physical contact with the screen, heat cannot be conducted, it is radiated. Any sensation you're getting beyond that could have a multitude of sources, most likely good old static electricity (coupled with paranoia wink.gif). Honestly, if you have concerns about this potential "exposure" to something you percieve to be harmful then you'll probably want to dig a hole and live a few hundered feet underground because you're getting every imaginable form of radiation exposure every day. Just be happy that plasma technology gives you a CRT-like picture without the high energy radiation those things are capable of releasing (which, BTW, has never been shown to pose any significant health risk). About the only thing plasmas may radiate more than other devices is RFI. I'm not aware of any risk to low level RFI exposure.
Old 09-28-2012, 03:52 PM

Liked: 19
I'm willing to bet good money that there is more radioactive material in my yard than in this TV.
Old 09-28-2012, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weedeater View Post

I'm willing to bet good money that there is more radioactive material in my yard than in this TV.

OK, a player who can help us. Buy a "Soeks Defender Geiger Counter / Radiation Detector" and put it close to your plasma TV then tell us the test results.
I googled that monitor and am not affiliated with it in any way, but it's cheap and easy to use.
Old 09-29-2012, 03:49 PM

Liked: 10
"Ah, the ol' Radiation King. You used to sit in front of that tv for hours!" #Simpson's reference

Old 09-29-2012, 08:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Give the propeller on the beanie an extra spin.

Tony
Old 09-29-2012, 09:27 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 27
If you are talking about RF, TVs have to meet strict emission standards, otherwise, they would interfere with receivers everywhere.

I have a UV meter, and measured a couple plasmas. No response for either UVA or UVB.

As far as heat, you are feeling Infrared radiation, which is emitted by every object, the hotter, the more IR. However, a TV is not that hot. Do you ever sit near a fireplace? Now that has some IR.

If I were you, I would be a lot more concerned about the smart meter sitting on the side of your residence, (unless you opted out), that was ram rodded down everyone's throat, and is transmitting day and night to the entire neighborhood. Now there is a device that got essentially no health and safety testing, because governments don't really care about your health. They care about electricity rationing. That smart meter transmitter may even be right next to your bed! I've seen tests of smart meters that put smaller cell phone towers to shame.

Michael
Old 09-29-2012, 10:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 93
I had to look at the thread title again thought for a minute I had a DNS hijack to the Foil Hat Society.
Moonchilde likes this.
Old 09-29-2012, 10:46 PM

The only sure way to know if the radioactivity waves are affecting you is to know if they are replacing something in your body that they shouldn't be replacing.
Because if they were replacing something in your body it would be a taint on what should be there.

So list the waves your body and TV use, then see if they mix in your body, producing a taint/cyborg effect.
Old 09-30-2012, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forsureman View Post

The only sure way to know if the radioactivity waves are affecting you is to know if they are replacing something in your body that they shouldn't be replacing.
Because if they were replacing something in your body it would be a taint on what should be there.
So list the waves your body and TV use, then see if they mix in your body, producing a taint/cyborg effect.

Implying panasonic is building an army of radioactive mutant cyborg plasma fanboys.

rolleyes.gif
smurphee likes this.
Old 09-30-2012, 06:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:

I disagree. Until someone shows a demonstration of plasma television running with appropriate meters on possible spectrums, then it has been documented.
I found threads indicating plasmas emit UV rays too.
There is also the question of how much electromagentic field is created by different TVs - whatever the emission. And how they related.
I find it interesting that there is no definitive testing pubished and visible to see, and so much speculative technical hearsay, ESPECIALLY when we are in a strange era when one can BLAST themselves with 60" of screen.
Further, plasma screen technology is continually changing, contrary to the publish believe that they are "Dead". Many plasma screens produced over the last decade even contain a highly radioactive material, which I believe can be used in the worst type radioactive material production purpose. Granted, it was in miniscule amounts, but really we should be smart enough to know it only takes ONE in certain criteria. And there is no telling what the varying conditions can create.
The bottom line is that I am sure they are safe as indicated by regulating authorities, but I was just inquiring as to what the actual real conditions are, where are lightly publicized at best. So that is all.
Further, IT SIMPLY CANT BE DISPUTED. Whatever Panasonic is doing with their plasma sets is different. The 60" LG plasma I have simply does not put the same type energy out of the screen. This is noteworthy ENOUGHT for further inquiry to the matter. It does not take a rocket scientist to know that when one puts their face near of panasonic plasma screen - ITS "HOT". You can the further remove your face from the screen and feel a definite action on the skin, which I DONT THINK is conductive heat. Its not like typical heat from an over rolling out through the air. AND if there is any truth to the Panasonic being able to "radiate" out a tingle other than conductive heat, and as far as 12-15 inches, then this should be a concern. That would be too much of something. PERIOD.
I can definitely see where the user opinions of these screens exists related to this. There are several different manyfacturers of the actual screen, and who knows how the varying hardware and firmware applications that drive the screens as deisgned by the various manufacturers relate?!! I THINK panasonic has classically used a Sharp brand plasm screen - I think. I know there have been changes by some manufacturers as to the fundamental ingredients of the screen's composition as of late. I AM satisfied with the physically notable emissions that my 60" LG plasma emits. I AM SUPRISED how "hot" even the newest Panasonic screens are.!! STILL, this does not differentiate anything good or bad for either. I was just inquiring about some solid data. I will review the other posts over time and see if anyone posted anything worthy of reviewing. Any links here are appreciated..

This thread is painful to read... this is all I'm going to contribute. The loudest people in here haven't a clue what their talking about fully.

1. Plasmas do create UV light, it's how they work. UV light is created by the plasma gas igniting which in turn hits the phosphor coated cell wall and gets converted into visible light which makes up the picture you see.

2. Glass naturally blocks UV light (TVs also uses UV filters embedded in the glass). Plasma panels are made out of glass, so any UV light that didn't get converted by the phosphors and was directed towards the front glass of the plasma itself gets absorbed by the glass/filters. Then to boot plasmas like the VT50 have 2 pieces of glass on the front... Essentially 2 UV filters (there's actually more).

3. As the glass blocks/absorbs the UV energy it gets converted it into heat... This is most of the "heat" you notice from the panel. A large surface radiating heat can be felt a distance away... Some of the UV gets converted into different frequencies of UV light. There are different labels for specific size light wave lengths: UV-A, UV-B ... any UV leaving the glass will not be harmful especially over any distance. This of course what's left after 2 sheets of glass AND UV filters... while probably measurable with instrumentation it's not worth having this conversation.

Plasmas do emit a bunch of RF radiation, ALL of your appliances do. It's the 2nd and 3rd order harmonics from them which could possibly do any "harm" minus perhaps your microwave. This has been studied and continues to be... Anyone with a high bandwidth oscilloscope scope can take a look.

I bet all of the guys on here who are spooked out probably eat fast food, you probably also eat GMO crops. As well you probably think dairy is part of the food triangle and that milk is healthy and provides good calcium... If any of this applies to you and you're eating food with ingredients you can't pronounce... focus your efforts elsewhere. Your body rebuilds itself on a cellular level approx every 10 years... what are you giving it as building blocks? Research these things... it's a much better use of your time than reading this thread... lol
agkss, smurphee and newdavy12 like this.

-SiGGy
Old 09-30-2012, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Wow, thanks for the laugh, bbc! This stuff is priceless!
Old 09-30-2012, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon! View Post

Implying panasonic is building an army of radioactive mutant cyborg plasma fanboys.
rolleyes.gif

Implying that if the human body has radioactive waves and exists in a spectrum naturally, this is a part of a interacting chain.
By making the chain one spectrum primarily, this impacts the human waves that were created by there being a interacting spectrum.
eg, If magenta was surrounded by one color how could it be magenta in the visible light spectrum?

So test to see if human waves are impacted by TV waves like magenta being surrounded by one color.
The result of magenta being created by one color mainly, is it takes on the quality of that color hence the cyborg reference.

See my next post to see that the human body does emit radio waves.
Old 09-30-2012, 02:29 PM

I Googled this;
"We emit infrared because we aren't at absolute zero, not due to any unusual property of biological systems. The radiation our bodies emit more or less follows a black body spectrum, and we do indeed emit at lower frequencies, all the way down to zero. Your statements suggest the IR emissions are special, when it is really the gaps and other variations due to our deviations from black body emitters that are special. Your statement applies to bioluminescence, but not to body heat." - cjameshuff

"We do emit radio. It's just much, much fainter than the infrared we emit." - cjl

from physicsforums.com
Old 09-30-2012, 02:32 PM

Liked: 14
I don't know. I have been feeling fine as long as I keep my aluminum foil hat on.
Old 09-30-2012, 02:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked: 429
Since when Panasonic use Sharp plasma panel? Sharp doesn't even make plasma panel. ::weird::
agkss likes this.

follow my A/V tweets @davidsusilo

ISF, THX, CEDIA, Control4 & HAA certified
Reviewer for TED, QAV, AUVI & DownUnder Audio Magazine

my (yet to be completed) BD list
my home theatre

Old 09-30-2012, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member

I posted this on the AVS FB page, but I'm posting it here if you want to discuss about true health concern in plasma vs LED LCD.

After calibration, plasma or LCD makes virtually no difference. However, under vivid mode prior to calibration, LCD is worse to your health (your eyes, specifically) because of the brightness level is so much higher than plasma in vivid mode. Furthermore, because LCD tend to run too blue, uncalibrated LCD panels under vivid mode may interrupt your sleep pattern (blueish light spectrum affect the brain secretion of melatonin which helps deliver quality sleep)
agkss likes this.

my home theatre

Old 09-30-2012, 04:37 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1011
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiGGy View Post

I bet all of the guys on here who are spooked out probably eat fast food, you probably also eat GMO crops. As well you probably think dairy is part of the food triangle and that milk is healthy and provides good calcium... If any of this applies to you and you're eating food with ingredients you can't pronounce... focus your efforts elsewhere. Your body rebuilds itself on a cellular level approx every 10 years... what are you giving it as building blocks? Research these things... it's a much better use of your time than reading this thread... lol
This bears repeating. wink.gif Except it's speculation as to how GMO foods ultimately affect the human body. Unfortunately, Monsanto isn't going to stop until they create a health crisis (beyond the obesity epidemic with which we're already plagued) and/or zombie apocalypse. wink.gif
Old 09-30-2012, 11:55 PM

Yeah some of these perceived (key word) health risks I'd just assume stay in the dark about. Especially food. E.g. I seriously doubt KFc's genetically engineered "centipede chickens" are going to kill you or anything, but it does give you the creeps knowing they're making mutants, & we're EATING them. End of the day it's fried chicken-what are you going to do?
Old 10-14-2012, 12:58 PM - Thread Starter

All I am saying is that the Panasonic Plasmas emit MUCH more heat/energy/whatever (It sensed as HOT) from the screen. I dont know why.

I will say that while even the newer Panasonics appear to generates as much as my old 2008 models did, I saw Sams Clubs has a Panisonic 60" plasma now for about $900.00, and it did not appear to generate any more heat than my new LG does, which is minimal.

Thanks for the detailed response from the Troubled reader - LOL. I did not understand everything - especially the "second and third"...

NO - I am not trying to start some kind of lunicidal plasma conspircy, I would just like to see more documentation..
Old 10-14-2012, 07:06 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1011
Lunicidal?!
Old 10-14-2012, 07:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Hee hee hee hee. I love this thread! Too funny!
barrelbelly likes this.

my home theatre

Tags
Lg 60 Inch Plasma 60pa550c
Gear in this thread