Ten year old Sony 42" Plasma still going strong!! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 09-25-2012, 05:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I bought a new Sony 42" Plasma in January 2003 for the Superbowl party I was going to host in Feb. I paid $5500 for it then from Vann's. It has been our main TV every since. It's been on almost every day since. The pic quality is still as good as it was new. I think this is simply amazing and a testament to Sony engineering. The only thing that may have contributed to its longivity is it has been on a surge protector (a professional one with caps and inductors, not the cheap MOV-based surge protectors).

Just thought I'd share this. When it does fail, it'll be a Sony replacement.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-25-2012, 10:04 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by churlock View Post

......When it does fail, it'll be a Sony replacement.

Then that replacement will have to be an LCD TV biggrin.gif

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #3 of 7 Old 09-26-2012, 11:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

Then that replacement will have to be an LCD TV biggrin.gif
I did not know this--I haven't been shopping for a TV for a long time. As much as I respect the Sony, I'm not sure I want an LCD. I guess when it does fail, I'll have to do my homework. Sony must to have had a good reason to switch to LCD. Maybe by the time I'm ready to buy a new one, Sony will have switched back to plasma;)
post #4 of 7 Old 09-26-2012, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked: 349
Quote:

I did not know this--I haven't been shopping for a TV for a long time. As much as I respect the Sony, I'm not sure I want an LCD. I guess when it does fail, I'll have to do my homework. Sony must to have had a good reason to switch to LCD. Maybe by the time I'm ready to buy a new one, Sony will have switched back to plasma;)

Not going to happen. If you are serious about a plasma in the future you should take a look at Panasonic and Samsung. Personally, I'm waiting for the advent of OLED, but it will be sometime before they can produce that technology more economically with a competitive life expediency.

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

post #5 of 7 Old 09-27-2012, 09:41 AM

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I remember drooling over those HDTVs back then, but $5000-$8000 or even $10000 was just too much money for me at the time. My local Circuit city had an especially nice display selection at the time, and I used to go there just to look at them.

I did eventually buy my first HDTV about 4 years ago, just before the prices collapsed. It was a entry-level Samsung (32" A330) , and it cost around $900. It also still looks as good today as the day I bought it.
post #6 of 7 Old 09-28-2012, 08:04 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 498
Quote:

I did not know this--I haven't been shopping for a TV for a long time. As much as I respect the Sony, I'm not sure I want an LCD. I guess when it does fail, I'll have to do my homework.

Sony does make some very nice LCD TVs - i came pretty close to buying an HX929 last year despite it's known issues but i just couldn't justify it's lofty price considering that a mid-level Samsung or Panasonic Plasma has better picture quality and less issues, and for a thousand bucks less.

Quote:
Sony must to have had a good reason to switch to LCD.

They didn't switch to LCD, they were already making LCD TVs well before they got into the Plasma assembling business. Although they made some gorgeous Plamsas, they bought the panels and some of the electronics from Samsung then wrapped it up in a nice Sony bezel with their name on it - then charged way way too much for them compared to the other big names like Panasonic, Hitachi, Philips, Toshiba, HP, LG, Samsung, etc. Sony's Plasma division lost lots of money the whole time despite outsourcing the panels. They later built a panel plant in a collaboration with Samsung but that flopped too so they pulled out of the market entirely and concentrated on LCD which they are a LOT better at.

Sony Plasma TVs also had a very high failure rate and ran out of many replacement parts even before the TV's one year warranty was up.

Quote:
Maybe by the time I'm ready to buy a new one, Sony will have switched back to plasma;)

They're never going to make Plasma TVs again. They're supposedly collaborating with Panasonic to develop OLED TVs now so i'm kinda excited to see what becomes of that.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #7 of 7 Old 09-28-2012, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

They're never going to make Plasma TVs again. They're supposedly collaborating with Panasonic to develop OLED TVs now so i'm kinda excited to see what becomes of that.

http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/News/Press/201206/12-0625E/

Ian wink.gif

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page