New Panasonic VT50 Glare issue - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 09-27-2012, 08:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ladies and Gentlemen,

This is my first post to the AVS forum, although I've been following for quite sometime! Just got my new VT50 55" and I couldn't be happier with the picture. It's absolutley amazing! The only issue I'm having is I've got a door and a couple of windows facing the TV giving it indirect sunlight. Therefore during the day I do get a little bit of glare from the door, but no washing out of colors or dim lit display. My question is since I've been out of the TV game for so long, is this common for TV's with this single glass piece? Regardless of plasma or LED, it seems to me that most high-end TV's come with this single glass piece. Should I return my plasma for an LED or is this just to be expected when purchasing the glossy screen. Thanks for your time it is greatly appreciated.

Panasonic VT50
Yamaha Aventage RX-A700
Aperion Audio Verus Grand Bookshelf
Aperion Audio Verus Grand Center Channel
Dr. HSU VTF-3 MK4 Subwoofer
Apple TV
Sony PS3
Sony PS4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 09-27-2012, 09:38 AM
mnc
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Any TV with a glossy screen will show a reflection. A matte screen will show a "blurred" reflection.

NHT speakers, Denon 4520, 65VT50
post #3 of 8 Old 09-27-2012, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnc View Post

Any TV with a glossy screen will show a reflection. A matte screen will show a "blurred" reflection.

^
This.

There's nothing perfect out there that can handle glare, all TV's will suffer from it to some extent.

Sometimes getting a TV calibrated to pump up the light output can help in a situation like that though.
post #4 of 8 Old 09-27-2012, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the comment. I was pretty much under the same understanding as well. The issue if I'm thinking this correctly is not the reflection, but rather what the reflection does to the colors and overall brightness? I'm not having that issue, so ultimately, trading it in for lets say a Sony HX929 LED or an HX850 LED isn't going to help matters much because they all utilize the Gorilla glass which will reflect regardless. Am I correct in that assumption? And really I don't see any matte screens that I think are better than this set. Thanks for the help guys!

Panasonic VT50
Yamaha Aventage RX-A700
Apple TV
Sony PS3
Sony PS4
post #5 of 8 Old 09-27-2012, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPScallan View Post

Thanks for the comment. I was pretty much under the same understanding as well. The issue if I'm thinking this correctly is not the reflection, but rather what the reflection does to the colors and overall brightness? I'm not having that issue, so ultimately, trading it in for lets say a Sony HX929 LED or an HX850 LED isn't going to help matters much because they all utilize the Gorilla glass which will reflect regardless. Am I correct in that assumption? And really I don't see any matte screens that I think are better than this set. Thanks for the help guys!

however, the 929 can "punch" through the light better do to the higher ftl capacity.

Habit Forming....Wallet Burning Hobby....

64" Samsung F8500 Plasma
55" Samsung B8500 Full Array Lcd
Channel Master Dvr
Onkyo 818
Crown xls-2000
Sony Blu-Ray 790
Svs Ultra Towers/Center, Energy Rc-50 Surround
Svs Pb-13 Ultra Sub
post #6 of 8 Old 09-27-2012, 12:17 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah that's what I figured. The color, clarity and brightness isn't really affected whatsoever, it just annoyed me that I had a little bit of glare behind me at certain times. I think that it's just something that I'm going to have to get used to as my old XBR4 matte screen didn't have that issue and this is only my 1st day viewing of the TV. But granted it really isn't that bad at all. I just didn't know if this reflection was a common thing on these screens, but apparently it happens to almost all of them. Thanks so much for responses. I really appreciate them.

Panasonic VT50
Yamaha Aventage RX-A700
Apple TV
Sony PS3
Sony PS4
post #7 of 8 Old 09-27-2012, 12:22 PM
mnc
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 81
IMO the VT50 has the best screen filter! Really one of the biggest reasons to get it over a GT/ST. I'm sure you will adjust to the different type of reflection. Enjoy!

NHT speakers, Denon 4520, 65VT50
post #8 of 8 Old 09-27-2012, 12:28 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks! No you are absolutely right. The filter is really great on it as it does block a ton of reflection. Just reading the CNET review it clearly states that the glossy screen prevents reflection better than any other LED glossy screen, comparing it with the Elite. I suppose just going from matte to the gloss is going to take a little getting used to, but I must say I'm really digging this set!

Panasonic VT50
Yamaha Aventage RX-A700
Apple TV
Sony PS3
Sony PS4
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page