OK, so I have a budget of $1700 which one? I want a 60" - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 Old 09-30-2012, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
remodeler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Topeka KS
Posts: 1,215
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The title says it all. The wife and I are looking to buy in the next week so which one would you choose?
My room is somewhat dark, about 15 feet from seating to TV No gaming Watch a lot of movies and sports.
I am open to LCD/LED as well.
remodeler is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 23 Old 09-30-2012, 09:31 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Ph8te's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 8,943
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked: 374
I thinkt he top two choices on the forum would be either a Panasonic ST50 or Samsung E6500 both are availabel in 60" and fit your budget (and probably under it)......
Ph8te is online now  
post #3 of 23 Old 09-30-2012, 09:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
remodeler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Topeka KS
Posts: 1,215
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yes I've seen both of those models and the picture quality was so close I couldn't say one was better than the other. It is probably down to those two brands. Really there might be other great brands but my head hurts just looking at all the choices they have. Honestly I never would have bought a Panasonic but too many have told me they are great. The picture is fantastic as well. Anyone have thoughts on the Samsung 7100 I would have to step down to a 55 to make that work but it has a nice picture.
remodeler is offline  
post #4 of 23 Old 09-30-2012, 10:03 PM
 
vinnie97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Nunya
Posts: 11,657
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
Why the bias against Panasonic on this particular occasion? Succumbing to Samdung would not be at the top of my list.
vinnie97 is offline  
post #5 of 23 Old 09-30-2012, 10:24 PM
Member
 
aznnorth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 43
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Samsung sucks in general... their reliability rate isnt exactly the best in the industry. Tons of crappy stories from customers dealing with customer service, failed products, lack of reliability and inconsistency in products and product failures. Samsung likes to brag about putting the first beta pet project on the market every year - but fails on reliability. Not to mention that little class action lawsuit they settled (in fine print no less) in regards to faulty tv's, just sayin... which is akin to false advertising imo. Not saying Panasonic or any manufacturer is 110% perfect but Samsung has a rep for this kind of sh*t. I was in the same position as you in choosing between Panny and Samsung. After doing tons of research/analysis, Panny came on top. No regrets one bit, lol. Besides, been to several large Samsung dealers in my area and when asked between choosing a Panny ST50 and it's Samsung equivalent, they ALL said get the Panasonic hands down. A large Sony dealer who used to sell Samsung stopped last yr cause he kept getting failed products on arrival from the distributor. Samsung has a larger profit margin (more cheaply made) and therefore more retailers like to stock more of them over Panasonic, not that they are better quality. Also, Samsung has a rep for buzzing on their sets over competitors. It's been revealed on certain models it was because of a design flaw issue than basic electric power supply sound you hear on Panny's.
aznnorth is offline  
post #6 of 23 Old 10-01-2012, 07:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
remodeler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Topeka KS
Posts: 1,215
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'll admit I had no experience with Panasonic, I just had an unfavorable view of them. I have had a Samsung TV for years without any issue until we got robbed two weeks ago. Great picture. So does everyone have the same view on Samsung?
remodeler is offline  
post #7 of 23 Old 10-01-2012, 07:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
BillP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: PA
Posts: 13,705
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Yes. Panny 2012 plasmas generally gets the best reviews, and have better reliability than Samsung.
BillP is offline  
post #8 of 23 Old 10-01-2012, 07:47 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Todd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Chesapeake, Virginia
Posts: 2,452
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I bought a Samsung PN58c8000 in Feb of 2011. It died in August. No picture. 3 months out of warranty. Thankfully my credit card will cover it's $1,200 repair bill, but I can also take the money and buy something else instead. I'm not sure what to do either. I was thinking about either the 60" ST50 or the 55"GT50 since the price is similar. Decisions, decisions.....

I will say I wasn't all that impressed with the Vieraconnect when I looked at one yesterday. But Samsung is on my sh*t list now...
Todd is offline  
post #9 of 23 Old 10-01-2012, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Ph8te's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 8,943
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked: 374
Quote:
Originally Posted by remodeler View Post

Yes I've seen both of those models and the picture quality was so close I couldn't say one was better than the other. It is probably down to those two brands. Really there might be other great brands but my head hurts just looking at all the choices they have. Honestly I never would have bought a Panasonic but too many have told me they are great. The picture is fantastic as well. Anyone have thoughts on the Samsung 7100 I would have to step down to a 55 to make that work but it has a nice picture.

The 7000 is a step up in terms of features. It has a Dual Core processor to help with the apps available on the TV. The dual core may also help with some picture, but for the most part it will be the same between the 6500 and the 7000, 6500, 7000, and the 8000 share the same screen. Panasonic is a great TV, I would recommend it without issue, I dont have bias either way either TV would probably be a good fit for you. I would def chose the 6500 60" over the E7000 55". as one thing youll never regret is going bigger. With apps being available on so many different devices, the TVs apps mean little to me as I can jsut use something else to watch NetFlix, HBOGO, Hulu, Amazon, ect.....This forum has a large Panasonic following, so thats where youll see the most support\posts.......

I will say youll find upset owners swearing of both samsung and Panasonic here. It all depends on that users experience with the brand and what they chose to purchase. In the end get what TV suits your needs the best and offers what you want since you are the one that will have to "live" with the TV....
LaRazaUnida likes this.
Ph8te is online now  
post #10 of 23 Old 10-05-2012, 09:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
remodeler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Topeka KS
Posts: 1,215
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok I'm looking at one of these models and have a few questions. All models listed are 60"

Panasonic UT50($1299) or ST50($1599)
Is the only difference the lack of built in WIFI?

Also looked at the Samsung Models pn60E7000 which I could get for $1599(OK $1999 with a $400 gift card for later) or the Samsung PN60E550 Which I can get for $1299 I am more concerned with Picture Quality Wifi and Apps really don't interest me. I've lived this long without them. Also on the Plasmas with the active3 3D must you use a specific 3D glasses or do any brand work?

Overall as I have stated Picture is the biggest concern to me. I'll go back to Nebraska Furniture Mart tomorrow and look. I have NO interest in ordering from an online source.

Allright let me have your opinions. I'll take them under advisement.
remodeler is offline  
post #11 of 23 Old 10-05-2012, 09:21 PM
Advanced Member
 
Yukon Trooper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Yukon, Canada
Posts: 954
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Definitely ST50. UT50 if you want to save a few bucks and you can control all the light in your room.

Yukon Trooper is offline  
post #12 of 23 Old 10-06-2012, 05:10 AM
AVS Special Member
 
whipit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: SGF
Posts: 1,435
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by remodeler View Post

Ok I'm looking at one of these models and have a few questions. All models listed are 60"
Panasonic UT50($1299) or ST50($1599)
Is the only difference the lack of built in WIFI?
Also looked at the Samsung Models pn60E7000 which I could get for $1599(OK $1999 with a $400 gift card for later) or the Samsung PN60E550 Which I can get for $1299 I am more concerned with Picture Quality Wifi and Apps really don't interest me. I've lived this long without them. Also on the Plasmas with the active3 3D must you use a specific 3D glasses or do any brand work?
Overall as I have stated Picture is the biggest concern to me. I'll go back to Nebraska Furniture Mart tomorrow and look. I have NO interest in ordering from an online source.
Allright let me have your opinions. I'll take them under advisement.

Another option is the 60U50 at walmart for 900 for additional savings. It comes without 3D or wifi capabilities.

Here's the model number for the wifi dongle if you get the UT50 ,,, model TY-WL20U. It's about 52 dollars at amazon.

St feature addons: built in wifi, Anti Reflection Filter, more shades of gradations, 8 train speaker, another HDMI port, web browser.

http://shop.panasonic.com/compare/?itemNbr=TC-P60UT50&itemNbr=TC-P60ST50

Any 2012 bluetooth glasses should work with these pannys.
whipit is offline  
post #13 of 23 Old 10-06-2012, 05:25 AM
Senior Member
 
dad0118's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 320
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by remodeler View Post

The title says it all. The wife and I are looking to buy in the next week so which one would you choose?
My room is somewhat dark, about 15 feet from seating to TV No gaming Watch a lot of movies and sports.
I am open to LCD/LED as well.

ST50 hands down. Its picture is better than the top of the line samsung for this year. Check out the CNET video review for the set.

TC-P65VT50
Marantz NR1403
Bose Acoustimass 10
Panasonic BDT220 Blu Ray Player
dad0118 is offline  
post #14 of 23 Old 10-06-2012, 05:33 AM
Member
 
tripod39's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Blandon.Pa.
Posts: 181
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by aznnorth View Post

Samsung sucks in general... their reliability rate isnt exactly the best in the industry. Tons of crappy stories from customers dealing with customer service, failed products, lack of reliability and inconsistency in products and product failures. Samsung likes to brag about putting the first beta pet project on the market every year - but fails on reliability. Not to mention that little class action lawsuit they settled (in fine print no less) in regards to faulty tv's, just sayin... which is akin to false advertising imo. Not saying Panasonic or any manufacturer is 110% perfect but Samsung has a rep for this kind of sh*t. I was in the same position as you in choosing between Panny and Samsung. After doing tons of research/analysis, Panny came on top. No regrets one bit, lol. Besides, been to several large Samsung dealers in my area and when asked between choosing a Panny ST50 and it's Samsung equivalent, they ALL said get the Panasonic hands down. A large Sony dealer who used to sell Samsung stopped last yr cause he kept getting failed products on arrival from the distributor. Samsung has a larger profit margin (more cheaply made) and therefore more retailers like to stock more of them over Panasonic, not that they are better quality. Also, Samsung has a rep for buzzing on their sets over competitors. It's been revealed on certain models it was because of a design flaw issue than basic electric power supply sound you hear on Panny's.
I will take my 2 perfect Samsungs back this afternoon just in case they are going to have all wrong with them that you say they have.

WAP 16.

tripod39 is offline  
post #15 of 23 Old 10-06-2012, 02:48 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Ph8te's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 8,943
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked: 374
Quote:
Originally Posted by remodeler View Post

Ok I'm looking at one of these models and have a few questions. All models listed are 60"
Panasonic UT50($1299) or ST50($1599)
Is the only difference the lack of built in WIFI?
Also looked at the Samsung Models pn60E7000 which I could get for $1599(OK $1999 with a $400 gift card for later) or the Samsung PN60E550 Which I can get for $1299 I am more concerned with Picture Quality Wifi and Apps really don't interest me. I've lived this long without them. Also on the Plasmas with the active3 3D must you use a specific 3D glasses or do any brand work?
Overall as I have stated Picture is the biggest concern to me. I'll go back to Nebraska Furniture Mart tomorrow and look. I have NO interest in ordering from an online source.
Allright let me have your opinions. I'll take them under advisement.

I would also suggest that E6500 from Samsung....Its int eh same class as the E7000 without the dual core processor and is averaging Inbetwwen the 7000 and 550. Personally If I were to get a TV and had your budget Id seriously look at that model. The E550 is a step below it, so unless I was trying to stick with the lowest posssible price, I might go with something thats in the middle.

Personally all the super biased one way or the other really turns me off and I try to filter it out. Samsung is horrible, Panasonic is horrible yadda yadda yadda, all TV makers have thier issues, and once youve had major issues with one brand you will do all you can to make sure you let others know this.

With your price range its probably between the Panasonic ST50 and Samsung E6500 or 7000. Remember though your still paying ~2K for that 7000, regardless of if they give you a gift card with it or not. It may help with the purchase of a stand and or blu-ray player, audio equip, or some other future purchase, but unless you are going to use it right away Id rather have the money in the bank and earn a few extra $ off of interest......
Ph8te is online now  
post #16 of 23 Old 10-06-2012, 04:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
remodeler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Topeka KS
Posts: 1,215
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I also tend to Filter out all the extreme views. I would have been comfortable with either brand. I ended up buying the UT50 The Picture was as good as any of them.I didn't care about the Wifi If I need to connect it I have Cat5 ran all over my house and I could hook that up. The gift card(had I gone that route wasn't a concern as I have to replace a bunch of stuff that was stolen. But I ended up going with the Ut50 mostly because every sales person at every store told us they were the ones to beat on a plasma. Light is not an issue as we have heavy drapes and can block out most of the light. I haven't purchased the Glasses as of yet but will soon. The Samsungs came with two but not the Panasonics frown.gif For Now I'll enjoy playing with this one.
remodeler is offline  
post #17 of 23 Old 10-06-2012, 08:49 PM
Advanced Member
 
Straybeat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 505
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by remodeler View Post

Yes I've seen both of those models and the picture quality was so close I couldn't say one was better than the other. It is probably down to those two brands. Really there might be other great brands but my head hurts just looking at all the choices they have. Honestly I never would have bought a Panasonic but too many have told me they are great. The picture is fantastic as well. Anyone have thoughts on the Samsung 7100 I would have to step down to a 55 to make that work but it has a nice picture.

We just bought the Samsung 60E550, mainly because we owned other Samsungs and it comes with active 3D instead of passive. It ships with 2 pairs of glasses and extras are $19 at Amazon. Panasonics are passive and their galsses are $60.

As a headache sufferer and previously vehmently anti-3D I did a LOT of research into it. Passive 3D gave all the people like me their headaches. Once they switched to active 3D the headaches went away. We have watched a bunch of 3D movies so far and I haven't had a single problem. Plus I have watched a lot of 2D tv in 3D just to play around with the set and it does a pretty good conversion job. Before all this I had zero interest in 3D, now I'm kind of stuck on it.

But for the extra couple of hundred the 6500 set gives you the anti-glare coating. This wasn't an issue for us, but may be for you? THe set has a spectacular picture once you get it in your living room and set it up for your tastes!
Straybeat is offline  
post #18 of 23 Old 10-06-2012, 10:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
remodeler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Topeka KS
Posts: 1,215
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Actually the Panasonic is active 3D just like the Samsung. I've had and enjoyed Samsung products. I just felt the Panasonic was a better value.
remodeler is offline  
post #19 of 23 Old 10-07-2012, 09:02 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Ph8te's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 8,943
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked: 374
Quote:
Originally Posted by remodeler View Post

I also tend to Filter out all the extreme views. I would have been comfortable with either brand. I ended up buying the UT50 The Picture was as good as any of them.I didn't care about the Wifi If I need to connect it I have Cat5 ran all over my house and I could hook that up. The gift card(had I gone that route wasn't a concern as I have to replace a bunch of stuff that was stolen. But I ended up going with the Ut50 mostly because every sales person at every store told us they were the ones to beat on a plasma. Light is not an issue as we have heavy drapes and can block out most of the light. I haven't purchased the Glasses as of yet but will soon. The Samsungs came with two but not the Panasonics frown.gif For Now I'll enjoy playing with this one.

Are you talking about the VT50??? Those are the "best" as considered by multiple professionals\reviews.....The UT50 is probably jsut a notch below the ST50 but still an excellent value. Congrats on the new set and hope you enjoy it smile.gif !!!
Ph8te is online now  
post #20 of 23 Old 10-08-2012, 07:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
remodeler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Topeka KS
Posts: 1,215
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am absolutely amazed at the picture on this. The only complaint I have is the glare in the morning. The sun shines through my curtains and I see a reflection of my curtains on the screen. But that can be fixed with some pull down shades behind the curtains. Watched as much as I could stand of Tree of Life (that is some random crazy stuff) and the picture just blows me away.
remodeler is offline  
post #21 of 23 Old 10-08-2012, 04:13 PM
 
vinnie97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Nunya
Posts: 11,657
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
I have never owned a Panasonic TV, but your glowing recommendation gives me faith in the brand if/when I need to replace my legendary Kuro.
vinnie97 is offline  
post #22 of 23 Old 10-08-2012, 05:55 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"
 
RandyWalters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: El Segundo, Calif
Posts: 17,491
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

I have never owned a Panasonic TV, but your glowing recommendation gives me faith in the brand if/when I need to replace my legendary Kuro.

The best recommendation i've seen was when D-Nice said something to the effect that the VT50 is the first display he's seen that would be an acceptable replacement should his Kuros die. That's some pretty high praise from someone that knows these TVs inside and out.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Gallery -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
RandyWalters is offline  
post #23 of 23 Old 10-08-2012, 08:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
remodeler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Topeka KS
Posts: 1,215
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
They are very nice. I started my search looking for either a Samsung or LG LED TV but after several conversations with salesmen and seeing their incredible picture I felt comfortable with the choice.
remodeler is offline  
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off