post #1 of 3 Old 09-30-2012, 06:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Panasonic GT50 55" or ST50 55/60"
50% Uverse / 30% PC / 20% Bluray

Before:
-I had a 40" Samsung LNT-4042H for 5-6 years.
-Upgraded to LG 55LM7600. Great 3D, colors and PQ after changing settings in daytime, but couldn't believe the flashlighting/ edge-bleed that became distractingly apparent at night.
-Returned for a Samsung 60" EH6000. Finally, no flashlighting, no edge-bleed, great blacks. However, purple tinges, bad motion/judder, lackluster PQ, even for Bluray, plus the extra 5" makes all Uverse HD channels look even worse (Uverse is WORST EVER for compression, but can't do satellite due to location, and I hate Comcast.

I've been vigorously reading reviews/ owners threads between LEDs/Plasmas and despite image retention fears, I think I am ready.

Now:
I'm already used to the 60" and fear it will be a bummer if I downgraded to 55", although Uverse channels may look better again.

It's pretty much between the Panasonic GT50 55" or Panasonic ST50 55/60"

I'll get Best Buy's Geek Squad protection for my burn-in / IR fears.

Questions:
1. The GT50 has THX bright room & cinema. Can you obtain the same equivalence of each on the ST50 by changing the settings?

2. They both have 48Hz playback for 24/p Blurays. I've read 48Hz mode shows flickering and it's preferred to set the TV to 60Hz mode. Just want to confirm that this is indeed possible and preferred.

3. The GT50 has 1080p Pure Direct. When would you use this?

4. Should I always have the orbiter running, or just for Uverse / PC?

Office - Onkyo 506, AV123 X-LS Encore Monitors
Living Room -Panasonic 60ST60, Onkyo 707, Ascend Acoustics Sierra-1 LCR
Car - Arc Audio Black 6.2; Arc Audio KS 2500.1, 300.4, 300.2; Audison BitOne; (2) Arc Audio Black 12 v2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 10-01-2012, 06:09 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have had my LG 55LM7600 for a little over a week and I have noticed some edge-bleed in dark scenes as well. The 3D with this tv is great as we watched The Avengers on 3D with the kids this weekend. That being said, before I bought the LG, I was also looking at the Panny ST50. My main concerns with the plasma (other than never owning one) were 1) IR - I have a 12 yr old and an 8 yr old who love to watch Disney and Nick and sometimes they have shows that are shown in 4:3 with the black boxes on the sides and 2) Going from passive to active 3D. I have a few weeks to change my mind if I want and have been back to Best Buy a couple of times to look at the ST50 again. I apologize for the threadjack, but I'm very curious about the answers you'll receive as I'm kinda in the same boat.
post #3 of 3 Old 10-01-2012, 06:35 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by edgeh2o View Post

Panasonic GT50 55" or ST50 55/60"
50% Uverse / 30% PC / 20% Bluray
Before:
-I had a 40" Samsung LNT-4042H for 5-6 years.
-Upgraded to LG 55LM7600. Great 3D, colors and PQ after changing settings in daytime, but couldn't believe the flashlighting/ edge-bleed that became distractingly apparent at night.
-Returned for a Samsung 60" EH6000. Finally, no flashlighting, no edge-bleed, great blacks. However, purple tinges, bad motion/judder, lackluster PQ, even for Bluray, plus the extra 5" makes all Uverse HD channels look even worse (Uverse is WORST EVER for compression, but can't do satellite due to location, and I hate Comcast.
I've been vigorously reading reviews/ owners threads between LEDs/Plasmas and despite image retention fears, I think I am ready.
Now:
I'm already used to the 60" and fear it will be a bummer if I downgraded to 55", although Uverse channels may look better again.
It's pretty much between the Panasonic GT50 55" or Panasonic ST50 55/60"

I'll get Best Buy's Geek Squad protection for my burn-in / IR fears.
Questions:
1. The GT50 has THX bright room & cinema. Can you obtain the same equivalence of each on the ST50 by changing the settings?
2. They both have 48Hz playback for 24/p Blurays. I've read 48Hz mode shows flickering and it's preferred to set the TV to 60Hz mode. Just want to confirm that this is indeed possible and preferred.
3. The GT50 has 1080p Pure Direct. When would you use this?
4. Should I always have the orbiter running, or just for Uverse / PC?

I have a 2011 VT30, but my experience is relevant

1) More or less
2) For 2D - Use the 60hz mode (it's possible and is the default). 48Hz does flicker on bright scenes.
2) For 3D - Use 48hz. reduces crosstalk and flicker is hardly noticable (not sure why).
3) ???
4) Yes always leave on. IR is a real concern. Also, on the VT30 I believe in the default THX mode, this is disabled when using size 2 (pixel for pixel). I switched my THX mode to size 1 (slight overscan). for everything but movies. Make sure you got this part right. Even with this, keep your contrast very low for TV viewing for the first 200 hours (due to logos, etc.) ... Movies should be okay,

- Fritz
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page