So I done goofed and have what I think is some IR. I have been actively looking at threads on the forum on how to eliminate, but was hoping for some clarification. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 10-01-2012, 08:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was close to 100 hours on my new Panny UT50 and decided to go on a COD binge. I was playing probably 4 hours at a time, 4 days a week for about two weeks when I started to notice some IR in three corners of the screen (top left - map / bottom left - score / bottom right - ammo). Now, I think it's IR and not burn-in as I don't notice it on anything other than solid colored screens, and only certain colors at that. The IR is most visible on the yellow background color for the PS3. During movies or television I do not notice at all, but I would like to try to remove it as best I can.

With that said, I've read a bunch of stuff on here and it all seems to be contradicting. Can someone advocate what they think is the best way to eliminate this IR?

Options I've read are:

1) Use DNice Slides for a few hours straight on low contrast
2) Use DNice Slides for a few hours straight on HIGH contrast
3) Use Built in Panasonic scroll bar
4) DO NOT USE Panasonic scroll bar because it wears down the phosphors quite rapidly
5) Just continue to watch mixed Zoom-screened content for a couple of weeks and it will resolve itself naturally
6) Watch brightly colored movies like Ice Age and Care Bears for a few hours on end
7) Set your cable to a channel with no reception (black white and grey dots) for a few hours

Any advice would be most helpful!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 10-01-2012, 10:47 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpbuen23 View Post

I was close to 100 hours on my new Panny UT50 and decided to go on a COD binge.....
Options I've read are:
1) Use DNice Slides for a few hours straight on low contrast
2) Use DNice Slides for a few hours straight on HIGH contrast
3) Use Built in Panasonic scroll bar
4) DO NOT USE Panasonic scroll bar because it wears down the phosphors quite rapidly
5) Just continue to watch mixed Zoom-screened content for a couple of weeks and it will resolve itself naturally
6) Watch brightly colored movies like Ice Age and Care Bears for a few hours on end
7) Set your cable to a channel with no reception (black white and grey dots) for a few hours
Any advice would be most helpful!

Stop playing COD! Sorry: Cheap Shot.... biggrin.gif

If you are not in a hurry, Option 5 should be fine.

If you are in a hurry - and/or plan to continue to game on the set - would ADD Options 6 and/or "1.5" (that is, slides, without artificially Low OR High settings).

Like slides (keep on a SD card) because we don't have to worry about dvd player, dvd, OR the Cable STB either shutting off, or otherwise "glitching."

Reports of IR - and cures - vary widely: our 60ST50 was prone to Quick Onset / Medium- to Long-Duration IR until some point PAST the 400 hour mark, at which time onset became Less Quick, and Duration Less Long... We are easily past 600 hours usage now, and IR no longer appears to be a problem, at least under "normal" usage. (We do not game....)

Can still Demonstrate IR, but it is rare - even with ESPN, Encore HD, and the dumb Uverse "GUIDE" lettering - and currently dissipates rapidly, again with normal use.
post #3 of 8 Old 10-01-2012, 12:07 PM - Thread Starter

I know, I was bad. wink.gif

I don't think I'm going to be playing games for awhile, so i'll probably just stick with watching normal content for the next few weeks, but I may run the sides as well (on an SD card as you mentioned).

Thanks for the help, Dierkdr!
post #4 of 8 Old 10-01-2012, 02:03 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 27
Is the IR darker than the background? If so, it is sutbborn IR due to MgO sputtering. Run a full white screen, and that should take care of it.

Michael
post #5 of 8 Old 10-02-2012, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael2000 View Post

Is the IR darker than the background? If so, it is sutbborn IR due to MgO sputtering. Run a full white screen, and that should take care of it.
Michael

Does the ABL(auto brightness limiter) scheme interfere with this?
post #6 of 8 Old 10-04-2012, 08:58 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
where do you get a full white screen
post #7 of 8 Old 10-04-2012, 10:54 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlb48 View Post

Service menu, or SD card with an image that is pure white.
post #8 of 8 Old 10-04-2012, 02:02 PM

Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlb48 View Post

Press and hold Volume Down on the TV while pressing the Info button on the remote 3 times within 3 seconds or less. The set will enter Service Mode.

You use the 1 and 2 buttons to navigate the top level menus. Press 2 twice to get to the Aging menu.

You should now be on the full white screen. If not press the 3 or 4 buttons to scroll through the screens until you find the one you want. There is also a scrolling bar that does not time out in this menu.

For persistent IR, you can keep the bright white screen on until the IR goes away as seen on a gray slide (there's a gray slide in this menu as well). You might also switch to the scrolling bar for a few hours each day. It may help, and it won't hurt.

When the IR is gone, power the set off at the TV. Turn it back on, and enjoy.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page