Panasonic Plasma Warranty - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 10-01-2012, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Who do you recommend for warranty after the Panasonic's mfg warranty runs out? Anyone heard of DTV Express warraties? How many of you get an extended warranty?

"Don't Bend Over in the Garden Granny, Them Taters Got Eyes"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 10-01-2012, 02:05 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 455
Avoid DTV Express - there have been too many horror stories posted over the years.

The two best companies right now are Mack and Square Trade. If you're thinking that you can buy an extended warranty AFTER the manufacturer warranty expires then this isn't the case. You have to buy the Mack within 9 months of buying the TV, and i think with Square Trade it's up to 30 days after buying the TV (double check provider's terms to make sure).

BTW there are many many existing extended warranty threads with tons of good info, including pros and cons etc.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR605, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #3 of 12 Old 10-01-2012, 03:17 PM - Thread Starter

I'll check them, thanks

post #4 of 12 Old 10-01-2012, 03:28 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy49 View Post

Who do you recommend for warranty after the Panasonic's mfg warranty runs out? Anyone heard of DTV Express warraties? How many of you get an extended warranty?

As the anniversary date of your purchase approaches, you should get an offer from Panasonic for their extended warranty.

Alas, the prices we've received from Pan in the past have been Very High. But, if you are worried about it.....
post #5 of 12 Old 10-01-2012, 05:38 PM - Thread Starter

I get a 1 yr Panasonic warranty plus another year with my AMEX so why get an additional 2 yr warranty that covers the same as Panasonic's ?? I'm missing something, if Panasonic and Amex gives me 2 yrs why get an EW that covers the same period, again it don't make sense to me but we are asked to buy an EW at purchase........??

post #6 of 12 Old 10-01-2012, 05:38 PM - Thread Starter

anyone with a reasonable explanation?

post #7 of 12 Old 10-01-2012, 08:50 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 52
Quote:

I get a 1 yr Panasonic warranty plus another year with my AMEX so why get an additional 2 yr warranty that covers the same as Panasonic's ?? I'm missing something, if Panasonic and Amex gives me 2 yrs why get an EW that covers the same period, again it don't make sense to me but we are asked to buy an EW at purchase........??

Fairly certain that the Square Trade warranty from CostCo ADDS 3 years to the standard 2 year CostCo warranty, for a total of 5 years coverage, and would expect it to work similarly for a set purchased with a standard 1 year warranty.

Even so (Knock On Wood!), have not been a fan of spending $$ on extended warranties - although do like fact that CostCo provides a 2nd year for "free."

Some people sleep better knowing they have coverage for a longer time period, and there have certainly been reports from owners for whom the Ext Warr has paid off.

Pick your poison.
post #8 of 12 Old 10-02-2012, 07:08 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 455
Quote:

Exactly who is "asking you to buy an EW at purchase"?? The main reason why a retailer "asks you to buy" or "recommends" an extended warranty is because they make a nice profit on it if they can get you to buy it from them.

Some people would like to be covered for more than one or two years and would be willing to pay a reasonable amount to get 3-5 years of total coverage. Others would think the cost is not worth the extra coverage and are perfectly happy with 1 or 2 years of coverage. YMMV.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR605, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #9 of 12 Old 10-02-2012, 08:41 AM - Thread Starter

I actually blame myself for not checking with Panasonic first then I would have been able to give an intelligent answer to the BB rep when he said I should get the 2 yr war so I'm going in today and cancel the BB W and go online with Costco

post #10 of 12 Old 10-02-2012, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 150
It is my understanding that BB's warranty is the only warranty that covers burn-in. If that is true and considering that burn-in is the single biggest concern for most people buying a plasma, especially the 2012 Panasonics, I would look into the BB extended warranty. If burn-in is not a concern then Costco's warranty is available even if you do not buy your TV from Costco. In that case however the warranty period is for one year less than if you do buy from Costco. Also, the warranty from Costco is very reasonably priced.
post #11 of 12 Old 10-02-2012, 09:55 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy sullivan View Post

It is my understanding that BB's warranty is the only warranty that covers burn-in. If that is true and considering that burn-in is the single biggest concern for most people buying a plasma, especially the 2012 Panasonics, I would look into the BB extended warranty. If burn-in is not a concern then Costco's warranty is available even if you do not buy your TV from Costco. In that case however the warranty period is for one year less than if you do buy from Costco. Also, the warranty from Costco is very reasonably priced.

Whilesome people are worried about burn-in, what they are likely to experience is stubborn IR.

Michael
post #12 of 12 Old 10-02-2012, 10:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael2000 View Post

Whilesome people are worried about burn-in, what they are likely to experience is stubborn IR.
Michael

If burn-in is covered so would stubborn IR. I doubt any rep from BB is going to watch any display for 2 weeks or more to see if the image goes away. The point of the BB warranty is burn-in or stubborn IR = no worries.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page