What do you think about "Pixel Shift/Orbiter?" - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 10-02-2012, 12:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I recently had a defective Samsung PN51D550 exchanged by the warranty service for a brand-new PN51E550, and I've noticed that enabling the "Screen Fit" aspect setting still disables the anti-burn Pixel Shift feature, as the ratio must be set to 16:9 for it to work.

My dilemma is that I use my PC to watch movies and play games on my TV, and leaving it in 16:9 causes overscan/scaling issues that can only be resolved by setting the input's name to "PC" or otherwise setting the view to "Screen Fit." I don't really like PC mode because, while the pixel shift works as 16:9 becomes Screen Fit, you lose some settings and the PQ looks a little diminished. The set does get some console gaming time in, too, so I'm worried about potential burn-in.

My question is, what do you guys think of turning it off/leaving it on? Is it really that effective? Is the loss in picture worth the benefit of a precautionary measure? Thanks for your input!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 10-02-2012, 12:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 83
I think the pixel orbiter is just there to make people feel better. To me it doesn't seem to do much. It only shifts the image slightly, a small number of pixels worth, so rather than prevent burn in or image retention it will just blur the edges of a burned in image. I leave my Panasonic in THX mode which completely disables the pixel orbiter feature and haven't had a problem. Then again, I don't game or use the TV as a monitor. I'd say just be aware of your usage, and running some full-screen content with a lot of action after a gaming session will do more to prevent IR than a pixel shift feature.
mailiang and Yomaster like this.

ht Panasonic TC-P60ZT60, Monitor Audio: Silver RX6, RX Centre, Radius 90HD; Martinlogan Dynamo 700, Marantz SR5006, PS3, Oppo BDP-103D
2ch Marantz PM8004, Sony BDP-S1000ES, JVC T-X3 tuner, Monitor Audio Silver RX1, REL T3, Apple TV, Peachtree Audio DAC•iT
lr Panasonic 50ST60, Sony BDP-S5100
post #3 of 6 Old 10-02-2012, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatuglyguy View Post

I think the pixel orbiter is just there to make people feel better. To me it doesn't seem to do much. It only shifts the image slightly, a small number of pixels worth, so rather than prevent burn in or image retention it will just blur the edges of a burned in image. I leave my Panasonic in THX mode which completely disables the pixel orbiter feature and haven't had a problem. Then again, I don't game or use the TV as a monitor. I'd say just be aware of your usage, and running some full-screen content with a lot of action after a gaming session will do more to prevent IR than a pixel shift feature.

+1

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

post #4 of 6 Old 10-09-2012, 08:17 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yomaster View Post

I recently had a defective Samsung PN51D550 exchanged by the warranty service for a brand-new PN51E550, and I've noticed that enabling the "Screen Fit" aspect setting still disables the anti-burn Pixel Shift feature, as the ratio must be set to 16:9 for it to work.
My dilemma is that I use my PC to watch movies and play games on my TV, and leaving it in 16:9 causes overscan/scaling issues that can only be resolved by setting the input's name to "PC" or otherwise setting the view to "Screen Fit." I don't really like PC mode because, while the pixel shift works as 16:9 becomes Screen Fit, you lose some settings and the PQ looks a little diminished. The set does get some console gaming time in, too, so I'm worried about potential burn-in.
My question is, what do you guys think of turning it off/leaving it on? Is it really that effective? Is the loss in picture worth the benefit of a precautionary measure? Thanks for your input!

I use the pixel orbiter, daily. I dont really notice it because its so subtle, so subtle infact that i doubt it truley works:)--may just be for peace of mind. At any rate, I have not dealt with any extensive IR at all. The only time being, is when I had DIRECTV installed, and the reciever calibrater had a bright "static" image for a good while. However, a few minutes with the scroll bar and is was a non-issue. But, like fatuglyguy, I also do not use mine (Panasonic 55ST50) as a monitor. Ultimately just be careful and dont abuse the television and you should be fine. By the way mine has a september build date, so that could be why I experience next to no IR!?!
post #5 of 6 Old 10-09-2012, 08:18 AM

Oh and I use mine on cinema mode with the contrast at about 86 for all my viewing, and game mode with contrast dialed back to 86 when I play my Xbox.
post #6 of 6 Old 10-11-2012, 09:29 AM

Depending on your video card, if its AMD or nvidia, you can reduce the overscan or underscan usimg their respective control panels.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page