I am new to AVS and even new to Plasma HDTV. I posted in other forum to ask for advice but not getting any reply so far.
Below are some questions and answers to which some of the experienced guys of HDTV requested in the first place before they can advise if the plasma is what I need. Hopefully AVS expert would give me a suggestion or two.
So I am planning to setup a HTPC mainly for movie (1080p rip), and gaming with XBMC platform. With the neat information of plasma posted here, I became interested of this class among all HDTV already. But I am doubtful if it is the one I am looking for, so please help me on this.
1. How far away will you be from the display when watching it? (Be as exact as possible. A 5' range difference IS a major difference - Please limit the range to 2')6-7 feet
2. What TV will it be replacing (i.e. 27" tube TV, etc) (include TV age as well)none
3. What will you be watching on it (i.e. 1/3 movies, 1/3 TV shows, 1/6 Sports, 1/6 gaming console, etc)1080p rips (got full size one and also two black bars one on my current 20" LED monitor), gaming, and possible XBMC plug-in contents (hear that is superTV plug-in, not sure about that)
4. Will a computer be connected to use the display as a monitor? If so, what percent of the time?I consider yes as it would be connected to my HTPC as planned, but won't be using for internet browsing. (how about the day after proper break-in for the first 200 hours, should I still avoid the internet browing?)
5. Will you be getting a Blu-ray player to watch movies and will you be getting any HD service from cable/sat, or will you just be watching SD programming, and an upscaling SD DVD player?no plan for HD service. Were all rip movies that containing black bars called upscalling movie? If so, yes.
6. Are you looking for the best in class display, the best bargain display, or best bang for the buck in the middle display?best picture quality with less money, I suppose it is plasma
7. Are you interested in seeing 3D with the new 3DTVs? If not, what about next year since TVs are usually kept for many years so consider that?3D movie, maybe out of 10 I might watch 1 for that.
8. What is the room lighting situation? (i.e. can you control the lighting? Can you use light blocking blinds, etc to control it?)yes, I think I can control lighting of the room.
9. What is your budget range?$400 ~ $600
10. Will people be watching at multiple viewing angles or just usually one person sitting directly in the center?it would be two people sitting at the center.
11. When will most viewing be done on the display (i.e. Daytime or after sunset)?sunset I suppose.
1. The power consumption would be the main thing that worried me, but many said as long as the TV got calibrated with proper setting the electricity it consumed would be comparable with what LCD or LED would take.
2. I was told the gas using in Plasma tech will be wear out and need to be refill after 2 years old. Is that a myth or a result of improper break-in/calibrated for the first 200 hours?
3. If the first 200 hours had been taken care of, will the burn-in or other major issues still haunting to the TV? Can I use that for internet browsing after all?
If I am missing something else someone please point out.