Best way to display 4:3 picture on a Plasma Tv - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 10-02-2012, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hello, I've got a question regarding displaying 4:3 pictures on my new Panasonic plasma (mainly for older games). I know I have to limit non-full screen content within the first 100s hours to prevent unevenly phosphor aging, but I'm still not convinced, when I eventually will then use it in 4:3, if I have to go with the grey side panels or let the side bars to be black.
If I understood the tech right, unevenly phosphor aging (after the first period while phosphors ages faster) shouldn't really be a concern with an estimated panel life of 100.000+ hours. In fact, I've also read on various forums of people without any problems after years of black-bordered 4:3 viewing (obviously alternating with full-screen content).
From my point of view, if I'm theoretically correct, grey bars would be more of a potential problem, because they actually bring to (subtle) image retention which, if inveterated, may become burnt permanently. Long story short, with black bars, there's actually no fixed image displayed on the screen, while there it is with grey bars; this is my point.
What do you people think and what is your experience?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 10-02-2012, 02:28 PM
Goo

Liked: 11
I have more than 6000 hours on a Panasonic G25 and I can see a very slight difference in brightness where the black bars on 4:3 content exist.

For example, when viewing the menu in the Netflix application on Viera Connect, the white portion in the center is darker than the sides, I can't see this at all on most screens, but with white it shows up more clearly.

Using grey bars for many hours can cause the display to show a vertical line on each side where the grey ends and the picture begins; but this seems to go away within a minute or two of displaying full screen content.

To make a long story short, using the grey bars will preserve your displays uniformity better than using black bars.

I wouldn't really worry about image retention with the grey bars since Panasonic displays adjust the brightness level of the grey bars (when using the brightest grey bar setting) to better match the content being displayed. I think it is both a symptom of the automatic brightness limiter and some type of image analysis that the display performs.

Or you can just stretch everything to fit the screen eek.gif
post #3 of 8 Old 10-04-2012, 08:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 74
If you think about it, the black bars do not burn in, rather the portion between that black bars that has the picture burns in. So gray bars will age the panel much more evenly.
post #4 of 8 Old 10-04-2012, 11:45 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoroastro View Post

From my point of view, if I'm theoretically correct, grey bars would be more of a potential problem, because they actually bring to (subtle) image retention which, if inveterated, may become burnt permanently.

Long story short, with black bars, there's actually no fixed image displayed on the screen, while there it is with grey bars; this is my point.

Goo is correct: To make a long story short, using the grey bars will preserve your displays uniformity better than using black bars.

My 10+ yr old Pio had the bluish-green cast to any white screen after many years of viewing 4:3 material. Watching a hockey game would make that point painfully.

So your best bet: keep the remote handy and press the screen ASPECT button . . the second push gets you "JUST" and you'll NEVER have a problem.

Regards . . . Jim

------------------------------------------------------

GT30 "Custom" Settings: http://www.controlcal.com/forum/showpost.php?p=6392

GT30 "THX" Settings: http://www.controlcal.com/forum/showpost.php?p=6393
GT30 "Vivid" Settings: http://www.controlcal.com/forum/showpost.php?p=6402

post #5 of 8 Old 10-05-2012, 09:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by JForge View Post

Goo is correct: To make a long story short, using the grey bars will preserve your displays uniformity better than using black bars.
My 10+ yr old Pio had the bluish-green cast to any white screen after many years of viewing 4:3 material. Watching a hockey game would make that point painfully.
So your best bet: keep the remote handy and press the screen ASPECT button . . the second push gets you "JUST" and you'll NEVER have a problem.
What I said.
post #6 of 8 Old 10-07-2012, 09:28 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcrox View Post

What I said.

Yours was good also but Goo said it first . . . . eek.gif

Actually, my suggestion is the 'best' since stretching 4:3 using "Just" will guarantee the most uniform aging possible. 'Gray' bars are not quite as good!

Regards . . . Jim

------------------------------------------------------

GT30 "Custom" Settings: http://www.controlcal.com/forum/showpost.php?p=6392

GT30 "THX" Settings: http://www.controlcal.com/forum/showpost.php?p=6393
GT30 "Vivid" Settings: http://www.controlcal.com/forum/showpost.php?p=6402

post #7 of 8 Old 10-07-2012, 02:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 371 Post(s)
Liked: 526
Are you guys saying that short fat people and stubby trees is the correct way to watch 4:3 content? Or is it better to just chop peoples' scalp off? LMAO...tongue.gif
post #8 of 8 Old 10-07-2012, 03:37 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by olyteddy View Post

Are you guys saying that short fat people and stubby trees is the correct way to watch 4:3 content? Or is it better to just chop peoples' scalp off? LMAO...tongue.gif

Haha, exactly what I was thinking. I wouldn't mind stretching the picture for older video games but I like to watch my movies in the proper aspect ratio.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page