Yet another this vs. that: Panasonic ST50 vs Sammy ES7100 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 20 Old 10-02-2012, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm looking for a new set, I recently got rid of my Samsung DLP HLS-6187W, ISF calibrated by Eliab from Avical. I loved that set and the picture was great.

Now, I'm looking to spend around ~$1600

I've found the 55" 7100 for $1699 and the 60" ST50 for $1599.

I've heard all the rave reviews for the ST50 and am putting that into consideration. I've also see the 7100 at best buy and that svelte look and thin bezel is really nice as well. The picture looked pretty good as I asked the Magnolia guy to put it to "movie" setting and I ran Big Buck Bunny's H264.mov from my USB so it would be a clear source.

My main concerns between the two, is the IR on the Panny and the buzzing (couldn't hear anything in best buy, but not the best environment for hearing that) and the LED being not as color correct/good blacks.

Any input would be great.

Oh, also this will be in a relatively controlled light source room. I have good horizontal blinds and will be ~12feet from the TV to the couch. I will most likely attempt to calibrate this myself and if I'm not 100% satisfied, I will then get it ISF calibrated.

Thanks ahead of time for your opinions! wink.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 10-02-2012, 01:29 PM

Liked: 14
Most Samsungs don't buzz, I would look at the pn60e6500 for $1597. Get it this week at BB and you would even get a $200 gift card with it. No IR problems and a great picture.

Let the slamming begin!
post #3 of 20 Old 10-02-2012, 01:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzt41j View Post

Most Samsungs don't buzz, I would look at the pn60e6500 for $1597. Get it this week at BB and you would even get a $200 gift card with it. No IR problems and a great picture.
Let the slamming begin!

Oh, another thing to note, I saw at best buy the samsung plasmas turning off randomly. This was concerning.

Also, the 7100 I'm referring to is LED/LCD.
post #4 of 20 Old 10-02-2012, 11:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 883 Post(s)
Liked: 541
Quote:
Originally Posted by vani View Post

Oh, another thing to note, I saw at best buy the samsung plasmas turning off randomly. This was concerning.
Also, the 7100 I'm referring to is LED/LCD.

That probably ahs more to do with the source than the TV. Its hard to tell what is goign on with the source unless you ask for something to be shown and see what they are doing\using. If it were an issue, youd see a thread or many many posts on it.

If you want a like for like the PN60E6500 would be the closest match to the ST50. Plasma screens are still top notch when it comes to black levels and screen uniformity. Each tech has its plus\minuses though, so chose based on that.
post #5 of 20 Old 10-03-2012, 06:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post

That probably ahs more to do with the source than the TV. Its hard to tell what is goign on with the source unless you ask for something to be shown and see what they are doing\using. If it were an issue, youd see a thread or many many posts on it.

Well that's the thing, I provided the source. As far as the turning off of the sets; I wouldn't have believed him (which I didn't at first) until I saw the set do it in front of me and then it restarted like nothing happened. (Sammy plasma).
post #6 of 20 Old 10-03-2012, 07:35 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 488
Quote:

Well that's the thing, I provided the source. As far as the turning off of the sets; I wouldn't have believed him (which I didn't at first) until I saw the set do it in front of me and then it restarted like nothing happened. (Sammy plasma).

Then there must be something wrong with that particular unit. It's not normal for any TV (regardless of brand) to just randomly turn off like that and is no reason to avoid that model.

As for buzzing, if any TV (regardless of brand) buzzes excessively to the point that you can hear it beyond say 2-3 feet then that's not normal either and something is defective, so the TV needs to be repaired or returned or replaced.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #7 of 20 Old 10-03-2012, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 883 Post(s)
Liked: 541
Quote:

Agree with Randy on this, there is something wrong with the TV its NOT something that is wong witht eh entire model line. Dont let a faulty display unit (which really they shouldnt be displaying unless they are doing it on purpose) stray you from a TV you may want to own. If it is numerous sets at that one location, then I may call into question how reliable they are if its only one brand that acts in this manner......Im not saying that they are doing anything, its just that having the Samsung Plasmas "randomly turn off" is not something that is normal and is not a "regular" problem experienced by anyone unless the unit needs to be replaced as a faulty device.
post #8 of 20 Old 10-03-2012, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 46
I'd wonder whether the sets in question are actually turning off or just going to black screen for what appears to be an excessive period of time.
Where I work some of the Samsung demo sets are running demo loops off of USB sticks provided by Samsung, not the normal store feed and these will occasionally have somwhat long periods of black screen while the same model running the store feed is ok.

Steve S.
post #9 of 20 Old 10-03-2012, 12:01 PM

Liked: 11
FWIW, I had a 60" Samsung 7150 (same as the 7100 but a Costco only SKU) in my house for two months. I really tried hard to like it, but I returned it and ordered a 65" Panasonic VT50 which should be getting delivered this Saturday. I really couldn't deal with the black level and off-axis performance of the Sammy. I know I couldn't have lived with it long term so back it went. To be fair, I'm a plasma guy (I already have an older 50" Panny plasma) but I also have a few LCD sets and an LCOS projector in my house as well so I'd like to think I'm format agnostic. For whatever reason these newer LED backlit sets just look like garbage to me, even the highly regarded ones, though the Pioneer Elite is tolerable to me as is the 70" Sharp Quattron. Just putting in my .02 cents' worth.
post #10 of 20 Old 10-03-2012, 01:13 PM

Liked: 12
I bought both the Samsung 7150 (Costco sku for 7100) and the Panasonic ST50 both were 55''. I had the 7150 first. It is a very nice looking tv super thin with a very minimal bezel. After tweaking the settings it had a great picture, backlight settings were critical for the best viewing angle and blacks, it was effected somewhat by room lighting, blur was not a problem with motion control settings of clear or off, any other setting created judder. The 7150 did struggle at times with contrast consistency...some faces were perfect some were washed out (correct backlight, contrast settings helped some)The primary negatives was viewing angle and cost. I returned it and got a ST50.

The ST50 has a more realistic picture and has consistent colors and contrast no matter what the source. No motion blur at all. Screen glare is pretty equal with the ST50s new filter. No IR so far , but I do not game and took a bit of care as to what I have viewed for extended (over 2-3hrs) periods.
Negatives: More heat production- but not a big deal for most situations
Some Buzzing on my set mainly noticeable with no volume while FF thru commercials on DVR recordings, not noticeable at other times.
ST50 is not quiet as stylish as the 7150 IMO. But the ST50 is only 2'' thick and the bezel is much thinner than my older S10 that the ST50 replaced so it was an improvement for me. If you are using the stand I consider the thickness a wash. If you are wall mounting, the 7150 has a bit of an edge as there are no clearance requirements at the rear for proper ventilation, the ST50 needs a couple of inches.

Bottom line: I now have a tv with a better and more consistent, realistic picture and I put $700 back in my pocket.
post #11 of 20 Old 10-03-2012, 09:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S View Post

I'd wonder whether the sets in question are actually turning off or just going to black screen for what appears to be an excessive period of time.
Where I work some of the Samsung demo sets are running demo loops off of USB sticks provided by Samsung, not the normal store feed and these will occasionally have somwhat long periods of black screen while the same model running the store feed is ok.

Well, the feed was showing the live bears game, same as all the TVs in the magnolia room. I don't think it was a BB given feed.
post #12 of 20 Old 10-03-2012, 09:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by erick.s View Post

FWIW, I had a 60" Samsung 7150 (same as the 7100 but a Costco only SKU) in my house for two months. I really tried hard to like it, but I returned it and ordered a 65" Panasonic VT50 which should be getting delivered this Saturday. I really couldn't deal with the black level and off-axis performance of the Sammy. I know I couldn't have lived with it long term so back it went. To be fair, I'm a plasma guy (I already have an older 50" Panny plasma) but I also have a few LCD sets and an LCOS projector in my house as well so I'd like to think I'm format agnostic. For whatever reason these newer LED backlit sets just look like garbage to me, even the highly regarded ones, though the Pioneer Elite is tolerable to me as is the 70" Sharp Quattron. Just putting in my .02 cents' worth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ticmxman View Post

I bought both the Samsung 7150 (Costco sku for 7100) and the Panasonic ST50 both were 55''. I had the 7150 first. It is a very nice looking tv super thin with a very minimal bezel. After tweaking the settings it had a great picture, backlight settings were critical for the best viewing angle and blacks, it was effected somewhat by room lighting, blur was not a problem with motion control settings of clear or off, any other setting created judder. The 7150 did struggle at times with contrast consistency...some faces were perfect some were washed out (correct backlight, contrast settings helped some)The primary negatives was viewing angle and cost. I returned it and got a ST50.
The ST50 has a more realistic picture and has consistent colors and contrast no matter what the source. No motion blur at all. Screen glare is pretty equal with the ST50s new filter. No IR so far , but I do not game and took a bit of care as to what I have viewed for extended (over 2-3hrs) periods.
Negatives: More heat production- but not a big deal for most situations
Some Buzzing on my set mainly noticeable with no volume while FF thru commercials on DVR recordings, not noticeable at other times.
ST50 is not quiet as stylish as the 7150 IMO. But the ST50 is only 2'' thick and the bezel is much thinner than my older S10 that the ST50 replaced so it was an improvement for me. If you are using the stand I consider the thickness a wash. If you are wall mounting, the 7150 has a bit of an edge as there are no clearance requirements at the rear for proper ventilation, the ST50 needs a couple of inches.
Bottom line: I now have a tv with a better and more consistent, realistic picture and I put $700 back in my pocket.

Thank you both for your personal experiences and advice. They were taken into great consideration.

So, I happened to be by a best buy tonight and their 3D demo station had an ES7100 55" and an ST50 55" right next to each other. How do you beat this setup! smile.gif

I had the salesperson throw on a non-3d bluray of avengers and just watched for a good 10 minutes. It got to the scene with blackwidow in the interrogation chair (excellent shadows/blacks) and I was done with LED right then and there. Both sets were set to Cinema / movie mode.

The LED screen's blacks were gray at best. The panny just blew it away without a doubt.

Now all I need to see is a Samsung E6500 plasma and I think my decision will be made.
post #13 of 20 Old 10-04-2012, 06:38 AM

Liked: 11
No problem - always glad to help biggrin.gif. I looked at the Sammy sets next to the Panasonics before I decided on the VT50 as well (they were set up side by side at my local BB). I thought the Samsung looked good (certainly better than any of the LED sets around it) and was cheaper than the VT50 but ultimately I preferred the deeper black levels and what appeared to be better color accuracy (as far as you can judge these things in the store). I know you're not looking at the VT series so the differences may be much less for you. I've been following the thread in this forum regarding Samsung screens cracking and that kind of put me off them as well, though of course that's going to be very dependent on personal experience.
post #14 of 20 Old 10-04-2012, 06:43 AM

The Sammy does have a built in TV guide for OTA users. I did not use it enough to fully check it out but from what I remember it was well designed. If anyone is considering cutting the cable and using OTA it is a small detail that may be worth checking on.
post #15 of 20 Old 10-04-2012, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:

The Sammy does have a built in TV guide for OTA users. I did not use it enough to fully check it out but from what I remember it was well designed. If anyone is considering cutting the cable and using OTA it is a small detail that may be worth checking on.
That is a major feature I like about Samsung and LG plasmas; they both have very good program info and channel guides for OTA antenna reception. Panasonic produces outstanding plasmas in terms of pic quality and overall build quality, but they need to improve the menu interface and offer program info for OTA viewers using the ATSC tuner. This is my major complaint with Panasonic; otherwise very pleased with the quality of their product.
post #16 of 20 Old 10-04-2012, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 35
+1, this is a major selling point if you want OTA and don't want to use a STB (who wants an extra box?). The Panny tuner is bare bones junk.
post #17 of 20 Old 10-04-2012, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post

That is a major feature I like about Samsung and LG plasmas; they both have very good program info and channel guides for OTA antenna reception. Panasonic produces outstanding plasmas in terms of pic quality and overall build quality, but they need to improve the menu interface and offer program info for OTA viewers using the ATSC tuner. This is my major complaint with Panasonic; otherwise very pleased with the quality of their product.

Agreed, It sure would be great if Panasonic would address this in a software update.
post #18 of 20 Old 10-08-2012, 06:43 PM - Thread Starter

UPDATE:

I went to Best Buy to see the e6500/7000 (BB doesn't stock the 6500 apparently), and they had a GT50 right next to it. I noticed the samsung was a bit sharper, very noticeably. There was a feed for the Braves baseball game on, and that matched up perfect for a comparison of lots of stuff going on the screen. You could tell a difference in the scoreboard posting, and the crowd when they zoomed in.

On a positive note, the difference was equalized when I turned up the sharpness on the Panasonic. I was very pleased.

I also had the BB guy throw on a blu-ray, this time it was "Live Free or Die Hard." I was sold on the Panasonic.

So I ended up ordering the 60" ST50. I was going to order from Amazon, but when I saw that Best Buy had the 36month 0% interest option, for ~90 more in tax I couldn't pass it up. So it should be here either end of this week or beginning of next week.

I'm very excited. Now to find those slides to burn the screen in a bit before calibration.

Oh, one more thing to note; the samsung e7000 power cycled twice during this comparison session.
post #19 of 20 Old 10-25-2012, 06:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvidHiker View Post

+1, this is a major selling point if you want OTA and don't want to use a STB (who wants an extra box?). The Panny tuner is bare bones junk.

Quote:

Agreed, It sure would be great if Panasonic would address this in a software update.

Thanks for the info! Been researching a Plasma for my brother and this information will help. He runs OTA and Roku. Ill be looking at Samsung and LG solely now, with Samsung the frontrunner.

Vizio VP322 Plasma / Vizio GV42LF LCD / Denon 2200 Silicon Image DVD / Panasonic S97 Faroudja Genesis DVD / Oppo 970HD Mediatek DVD / Oppo 983H Anchor Bay DVD / Panasonic LX-600 Laserdisc / Aiwa MX100 Multi-region VCR / JVC S7600 S-VHS / PS2 / Sega Genesis / Nintendo SNES / Roku 2 XS & HD-XR / Realistic STA-90 Reciever / Realistic Minimus 7 / Antennacraft G1483 Hoverman / Belden 7915A RG6 / Channel Master 7777 Titan 2 UHF/VHF / Panasonic AX-200u / Optoma Graywolf 92" / Draper Luma 92"
post #20 of 20 Old 10-25-2012, 08:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

UPDATE:
I went to Best Buy to see the e6500/7000 (BB doesn't stock the 6500 apparently), and they had a GT50 right next to it. I noticed the samsung was a bit sharper, very noticeably. There was a feed for the Braves baseball game on, and that matched up perfect for a comparison of lots of stuff going on the screen. You could tell a difference in the scoreboard posting, and the crowd when they zoomed in.
On a positive note, the difference was equalized when I turned up the sharpness on the Panasonic. I was very pleased.
I also had the BB guy throw on a blu-ray, this time it was "Live Free or Die Hard." I was sold on the Panasonic.
So I ended up ordering the 60" ST50. I was going to order from Amazon, but when I saw that Best Buy had the 36month 0% interest option, for ~90 more in tax I couldn't pass it up. So it should be here either end of this week or beginning of next week.
I'm very excited. Now to find those slides to burn the screen in a bit before calibration.
Oh, one more thing to note; the samsung e7000 power cycled twice during this comparison session.

UPDATE 2:

So BB no longer carries the ST50. I ordered the last set they had in their stocks anywhere, and apparently before it could get delivered it disappeared. So I ended up getting the GT50 for the same price since it took them 2 weeks to figure out that there was no TV to give me.

So far, the tv is everything I was hoping for. Colors, black levels, performance in general, all excellent.

IR: I've watched plenty of tv shows with logos in the bottom right corner for a few hours on end (CAUTIOUSLY!! watched it like a hawk) and 0 IR.

Very pleased with the set and would make the decision again in a hearbeat.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page