Panasonic Plasma Availability - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 32 Old 10-02-2012, 04:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a $350 promotional card to burn at Newegg and had my eyes on a 55" or 60" ST50. Over the past couple of weeks, it appears that Newegg is deleting the Panasonic models off their inventory as they sell out; no out of stock notice on units that were once carried. Email to NE indicates there are no plans to replace stock. I was about to pull the trigger on a 60" GT50 yesterday, and it has also been wiped from the catalog.

Is Panasonic about to roll out a new model line, or are distributors clearing the channel and no more Panny Plasma? Appreciate any info you folks can provide.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 10-02-2012, 06:39 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laplacian View Post

.... Over the past couple of weeks, it appears that Newegg is deleting the Panasonic models off their inventory as they sell out .... Email to NE indicates there are no plans to replace stock. ...
Is Panasonic about to roll out a new model line, or are distributors clearing the channel and no more Panny Plasma? Appreciate any info you folks can provide.

Speculation, but announcement at beginning of year was that Panasonic was scheduling a Reduced Production of 2012 panels (as compared to 2011), and also placing some restrictions on their distribution network, both to help maintain prices during the year, and to avoid end-of-model-year "fire sales."

Also read recently that Pan was beginning to shut down the 2012 production lines - presumably for similar reasons.

Perhaps Pan has actually managed to keep a lid on their inventory - ??
post #3 of 32 Old 10-02-2012, 06:56 PM

If you want to buy now buy now. You'll only struggle and never have a panel if you do what if I wait till......

Trust me, and I'm sure many others out there that have gone through it. For me it was back in 2004/2005, going back and forth between Plasma and DLP. 10 months of continuing to watch stuff on a 27" nonHD CRT while I vasilated.
Such a relief when the Plasma plugged in. I've already gone through almost 2 months mostly going between Panasonic Plasma models and doing doubts of if I should be getting an Elite. Tonight enough was enough and got Panasonic Plasma.
post #4 of 32 Old 10-03-2012, 09:05 AM
mnc
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dierkdr View Post

Speculation, but announcement at beginning of year was that Panasonic was scheduling a Reduced Production of 2012 panels (as compared to 2011), and also placing some restrictions on their distribution network, both to help maintain prices during the year, and to avoid end-of-model-year "fire sales."
Also read recently that Pan was beginning to shut down the 2012 production lines - presumably for similar reasons.
Perhaps Pan has actually managed to keep a lid on their inventory - ??

^^^This

I just purchased my 65VT50 because I was afraid if I waited too long for a better deal that they would be out of stock.

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
post #5 of 32 Old 10-04-2012, 01:46 PM

Liked: 19
New models probably won't be out until the spring.
post #6 of 32 Old 10-05-2012, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttinLV View Post

If you want to buy now buy now. You'll only struggle and never have a panel if you do what if I wait till......
Trust me, and I'm sure many others out there that have gone through it. For me it was back in 2004/2005, going back and forth between Plasma and DLP. 10 months of continuing to watch stuff on a 27" nonHD CRT while I vasilated.
Such a relief when the Plasma plugged in. I've already gone through almost 2 months mostly going between Panasonic Plasma models and doing doubts of if I should be getting an Elite. Tonight enough was enough and got Panasonic Plasma.

yeah, Tonight enough was enough and got Panasonic Plasma. Useful information to me , thank you .91.jpg
post #7 of 32 Old 10-05-2012, 02:00 PM

My japanese connection told me the deal. See, Panasonic plasmas are made in japan ONLY... that's the problem. There are NO factory sites anywhere in the world except Japan. None exist in north america. They manufacture and ship their inventory quarterly. The last shipment was July, 2012. That's why many sets purchased recently have a manufacture date of July. Next quarter is Oct/2012 so middle of this month usually between 14-17th of each quarter. So expect many upcoming sets to have a manufacture date of Oct. What then happens as demand ramps up or stays constant on specific models, each quarter shipment runs out as stores sell out. Thus, you have no inventory until the next shipment quarter. So beware of this when buying your next Panasonic set. Always buy them in the first month of each quarter. Otherwise as people keep picking their teeth in heavy thought the quarter supply is running out and before you know it - SOLD OUT. Then you have to wait till next quarter. PITA, srusly...

They make a fixed supply number each quarter. It is not like car factories where they keep churning them out each week. That fixed supply number is then pro-rated by demand figures from each country. When the ST50 got top reviews, high demand came from US wholesalers and distributors. Thus, US got majority of the last shipment in July. For example, say they made 10,000 ST 50's for July last quarter. US submits highest demand and say they get 60% or 6000 of the 10k units. Then the 40% left get pro-rated by demand figures likewise. For example, Canada might get 800, UK 1500, Europe 1800, etc. That's why you're lucky the local chain store in your area may only have 5-6 in stock as a whole or the mom and pop is lucky to have 1. Whereas with Sony, Samsung, and everyone else they have tons of factories worldwide, the supply issues dont really exist. It also explains why Panasonic prices dont free fall like the competitors during sales events. Simple economics really... lower supply, higher inelasticity of price drops = smaller decrease price changes whereas with others, higher supply lower inelasticity of price drops = higher decreases of price changes.
post #8 of 32 Old 10-05-2012, 05:04 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 448
Panasonic has Plasma TV assembly plants in North America and Europe, not just in Japan. The panel modules and most of the other components however are made in Japan and are shipped to the assembly plants on various continents where the TVs are built.

Panasonic produces Plasmas every single month from February through December, inclusive, and sometimes even into January. And their production cycles are dynamic - they can ramp up production to meet increased demand or they can decrease production as demand decreases.

Most USA retailers get their inventory from a network of Panasonic Regional Distribution Center warehouses scattered around the country so there is almost always a unit available somewhere, even if it has to be shipped from a warehouse in another state.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR605, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #9 of 32 Old 10-06-2012, 06:45 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Panasonic is selling LCDs up to 55" now so some big retailers have just stopped bothering to try and sell most Panasonic plasmas and have put Panasonic LCDs in their place. People just prefer LCDs, possibly only as few as 4% of people buying a TV today have a firm wish to buy a plasma. Retailers see value in the Panasonic brand but they don't see much value in the plasma technology because a large majority will always refuse to buy a plasma.
post #10 of 32 Old 10-06-2012, 07:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 57
I went into walmart on Wednesday and the salesman there asked what I was interested in and I said a small plasma. He said that he recommends to stay away from them due to the excessive heat and power demands. He said he has a two year old 65in pan plasma and the heat coming off is terrible in his apartment, def had to turn up the A/C, he sweats while playing a game, ect. I thought it's strange that a tv salesman has no idea of what model he has. It was deer in the headlights that a plasmas power use varies with brightness on the screen and he could reduce with lower contrast, ect. I just had to share some of my experience.
post #11 of 32 Old 10-06-2012, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Plasma does run hotter than LCD, and consumes more than LCD based on the price comparisons I saw in Costco. I think the salesman was exaggerating.

However, for serious viewing, LCD is great for TV fare but not for movies such as HP and sci-fi genre. Also, viewing angle does not apply to plasma. Every seat is the same. Money well spent even for scrooge like me.

I'm looking to add a bigger one around Black Friday, limiting these days to Panny, Samsung and LG, in that order. Size wise, these are limiting only to 50 or 60" unless I opt for 3D - 55".
post #12 of 32 Old 10-06-2012, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whipit View Post

I went into walmart on Wednesday and the salesman there asked what I was interested in and I said a small plasma. He said that he recommends to stay away from them due to the excessive heat and power demands.He said he has a two year old 65in pan plasma and the heat coming off is terrible in his apartment, def had to turn up the A/C, he sweats while playing a game, ect. I thought it's strange that a tv salesman has no idea of what model he has. It was deer in the headlights that a plasmas power use varies with brightness on the screen and he could reduce with lower contrast, ect. I just had to share some of my experience.

Hahahahaa, this guy is a nutcase. He's using the old "walking 2 miles in 3 ft of snow to school when I was 5 yrs old" stories to deter you from buying a plasma because he doesn't have the selection or model you want. Basically wants you to buy a LCD for his daily sales quota otherwise he sell you the plasma no questions asked. What does he care... he gets the same commission for similarly priced LCD or Plasma. Anyway, I'm sitting here with a laptop 4ft away from a Panny 50 ST50 in the basement with no windows, no a/c running, and no circulation fan going and I feel no heat. Now if I walk up to the panel and place my head a foot or less against the back I can feel some heat, no different than doing the same thing with an old CRT or LCD. The room temperature is 21.5 C or 70.7 F and I have the Panny running over 4 hrs already. Checked the room temp on the main floor and upstairs and it's one degree celcius less or 20.5 C or 68.9 F. So difference of 1.7 F (although I attribute that to poorer air circulation in the basement than solely on the Panny itself, lol). I've also been in a clearance area of a major department store with about 20 Panny's running all within 3-4 feet of each other ranging from 50-65 inch 2009-2011 models and felt no heat either.
post #13 of 32 Old 10-06-2012, 02:00 PM

Liked: 26
Quote:

I went into walmart on Wednesday and the salesman there asked what I was interested in and I said a small plasma. He said that he recommends to stay away from them due to the excessive heat and power demands. He said he has a two year old 65in pan plasma and the heat coming off is terrible in his apartment, def had to turn up the A/C, he sweats while playing a game, ect. I thought it's strange that a tv salesman has no idea of what model he has. It was deer in the headlights that a plasmas power use varies with brightness on the screen and he could reduce with lower contrast, ect. I just had to share some of my experience.
Its Walmart? Are you surprised?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

post #14 of 32 Old 10-06-2012, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznnorth View Post

Hahahahaa, this guy is a nutcase. He's using the old "walking 2 miles in 3 ft of snow to school when I was 5 yrs old" stories to deter you from buying a plasma because he doesn't have the selection or model you want. Basically wants you to buy a LCD for his daily sales quota otherwise he sell you the plasma no questions asked. What does he care... he gets the same commission for similarly priced LCD or Plasma. Anyway, I'm sitting here with a laptop 4ft away from a Panny 50 ST50 in the basement with no windows, no a/c running, and no circulation fan going and I feel no heat. Now if I walk up to the panel and place my head a foot or less against the back I can feel some heat, no different than doing the same thing with an old CRT or LCD. The room temperature is 21.5 C or 70.7 F and I have the Panny running over 4 hrs already. I've been in a clearance area of a major department store with about 20 Panny's running all within 3-4 feet of each other ranging from 50-65 inch 2009-2011 models and felt no heat either.

Oh I know what he was up to. I have a couple plasmas and have a hard time even considering a LCD. Right now I'm house sitting watching tv for 3.5 hours now, a 65VT30 btw, and I can put the back of my hand about 10" in front before I feel anything and above there's slight air movement with a degree or two difference from ambient. I've been around LCD's that run hotter than my 54G10. I knew some of you would see right through his BS, I'm thinking his boss or paycheck told him to say this crap. He said I was his first that knew anything about tv's, but I'm not suprised since I never go into wally world like most of us here. I just wanted to see the 42x5 and e450, damn that SDE:p And no I'm not suprised but interesting to expereince that situation firsthand, just wow!
post #15 of 32 Old 10-06-2012, 11:42 PM

I've been on the fence about the P60ST50. I'm actually making the switch to plasma after having LCDs for the last couple of years. The price seems to have stayed the same the last few months. With Black Friday near, would it be best to hold off and wait another month and a half to see if there are any deals? I'd hate to make a big purchase like this only to see the price go down shortly afterwards.
post #16 of 32 Old 10-08-2012, 07:30 AM
AVS Special Member

I have to admit the wife and I were dead set against Plasma. After hearing three different sales people tell us Plasma had a better picture we changed gears and started looking at Plasma TVs. I couldn't be happier with my purchase.
post #17 of 32 Old 10-08-2012, 08:57 AM

Liked: 12
Great post, guys!
My TH-42PZ85U just died after 4 years and am looking to replace with another Panasonic in the 42-50 size.
Are there specific models that I should be looking at? I'm kinda overwhelmed at the moment, but we definitely do NOT need 3d or wifi capabilities.
Budget, under a grand CAD.
I was thinking of waiting till Black Friday as we have a 32" olevia tying us over till then tongue.gif

Thoughts, recomendations?

Thank you,
post #18 of 32 Old 10-08-2012, 09:19 AM

stevensly, you could easily get a P50UT50 with that budget but if your room has any light in it you'd really prefer the P50ST50. Don't throw out the old TV as I'm sure someone would like to repair it or use it for parts. Beware that a new Panasonic plasma may be more susceptible to image retention than the old one.

Quote:
I have to admit the wife and I were dead set against Plasma.
What were your reasons?
post #19 of 32 Old 10-08-2012, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member

My reasons were mostly based on a perception that plasmas have reliability issues. It has been a number of years since I had looked at Tvs and my info was outdated. Early plasmas were problematic and did not have a great lifespan.
post #20 of 32 Old 10-08-2012, 06:02 PM

homerging,
thank you for the advise!
The model is great, but it doesn't have a VGA port! frown.gif
Also, 50" is going to be way too big for our little condo, "46 max.

But thank you, nonetheless, we're going to stick it out till black friday...lol
post #21 of 32 Old 10-09-2012, 05:33 AM

There currently are no 2012 46" plasmas, Panasonic has discontinued 42" 1080p plasmas in North America because retailers refuse to buy them and nobody else makes them.

There was a P42UT50 in NA this year but it's now rare and discontinued so finding one may be difficult. The odd place might still have one in stock so you could look.

Otherwise you could look for 2011 models like the P42ST30 or P46ST30.

For VGA you could try a ViewHD VGA to HDMI converter. There are several models with different features.
post #22 of 32 Old 11-02-2012, 03:01 AM

Homerging,
i've been looking at the the following models (thanks for your suggestions!):

50UT50
50ST50

On paper, the ST50 has the onboard wifi, extra media input, and 3D real sound, is there a difference in picture quality? Are they using the same panel?
The price difference is $200!

I also noticed the 50U50 ($300 less than the ST50) which is not 3d capable and doesnt have the 2500 FFD. I take it the panel is not the same?

I'd rather invest in a quality panel and pass on the wifi/3d capabilities smile.gif

BTW, why is the GT50 $400 more than the ST50? It looks like the benefit is extra media inputs?
post #23 of 32 Old 11-02-2012, 03:02 AM

Oops repeat! eek.gif
post #24 of 32 Old 11-02-2012, 03:25 AM
AVS Special Member

You could still get the 42UT50 as it's still available at Sears. That's the only 42" with 1080p with a great panel. For $29 more you can get the 50"at BB.

The GT has faster processor for aps, THX modes, VGA input(limited resolution), slim bezel ect. http://www.avsforum.com/t/1403635/official-panasonic-gt50-series-discussion-thread-no-street-price-talk

The U50 may have a different panel but to me it looks a lot like the UT in the store(bad place to compare I know).

Some say that the 3D option also has the benefit of a better picture because of the higher speed circuits and faster phosphors.
post #25 of 32 Old 11-02-2012, 09:42 AM

Liked: 18
Quote:

he's not exactly lying. I have a 60e6500 in my basement and although it's not an oven I had to run air conditioning duct work down to it. Before I put the plasma in it It would always stay cool down there. That being said he was exaggerating.
post #26 of 32 Old 11-02-2012, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by makinbiscuits View Post

he's not exactly lying. I have a 60e6500 in my basement and although it's not an oven I had to run air conditioning duct work down to it. Before I put the plasma in it It would always stay cool down there. That being said he was exaggerating.

Thanks, I've not been around a hot running plasma to know. Plus he may have been using high contrast settings or vivid mode for all we know:rolleyes:
post #27 of 32 Old 11-02-2012, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
yeah that "cant go on sale" policy kinda stinks.

You see the 60GT50 still stuck on $1900 next to LG and Samsung plasmas at $990.

Oy, that's a big price difference. And it's not even the VT model.

I'm hoping my brick and mortar store has a glut of these tvs because of that insane price and does _something_ soon.

(I checked a couple weeks back, and the salesman was going to knock off $35 for a friends and family discount. Really?!!_
post #28 of 32 Old 11-02-2012, 11:34 AM

Liked: 11
Just bought a 50" GT-50 from my local audio store where I've bought a lot of my gear. Talked to the owner who said he got word that his cost will be going up in the next few weeks. He left me a voice mail today saying everything was ordered and I'm good to go for delivery next Saturday. In our conversation yesterday he said now is the best time to buy, since most people think Black Friday has the better deals. Said not really true.
post #29 of 32 Old 11-02-2012, 01:53 PM

ain't that a b1tch!
Jack up the prices now, then drop to match current prices on BF!
I'm going to print out this week and the following weeks online ads and cause grief on BF if the prices aren't to my liking tongue.gif
post #30 of 32 Old 11-16-2012, 02:46 AM

The prices on the ST50 are not budging at all (Canada) mad.gif
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page