Panasonic P42ST30 or LG 50PA5500? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 10-03-2012, 02:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi everybody!

It's my first time here, I hope to be in the appropriate section opening an appropriate thread smile.gif (and sorry for bad english, i'm from italy)

long story short: it's my first Plasma TV and i have around 700€ of budget.

i'm a CRT enthusiast (i'm typing in front of one right now smile.gif ) and 90% of LCDs feels horrendous to me, the few tolerable ones for my eyes are ridiculously expensive.

A friend of mine just got a Panasonic P50GT30 and i really enjoy its picture quality (blacks are not as black-hole as CRTs but miles better than LCDs imo)

i've seen that Panasonic are renowned for their quality, while LGs aims at extreme low prices but in cost of some performance.

So, here comes my dilemma:

Panasonic: i can only afford the 42" (P42ST30 or P42GT30 either) smaller, 3D, past year models. Around 600-650€ each
LG: i've seen an LG 50PA5500 in the stores wich felt not bad at all, bigger (50"), no 3D, this year model. Around 530€

considering that:
-i know that LGs can be tweaked easly from pots for better blacks (i have some amateur basics in electronics, piece of cake for me)
-Panasonic should already offer good blacks to begin with, but i've read that smaller the panels, worse the blacks

if true, will the cheaper tweaked 50" LG match the 42" Panasonic's blacks?

and what about other drawbacks of this technology? as example i've read that Samsungs dithering is not as "loud" as Panasonics but suffers worse color banding.

What about LGs? it looked less agressive than panasonics in the store but maybe the blinding light in the store tricked me.

Thanks for your time biggrin.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 10-04-2012, 08:37 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 52
How close will you be sitting to the panel?

Enjoy our Panasonic plasmas, but the size difference between 42" and 50" is fairly substantial - and given a lower cost on the 50" to boot.... cool.gif
post #3 of 4 Old 10-05-2012, 01:18 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
it should be placed exactly 2m (6.5ft) far from my eyes sitting on the couch, i was worried about the LG's 50" to be too narrow but according to this calculator it says it's even the maximum distance to enjoy entirely FullHD details, and at the same time seems to be just as close to fill the optimal viewing angle!

If true it's a point in favor for the 50PA5500 tongue.gif
post #4 of 4 Old 10-07-2012, 01:43 AM

Liked: 14
I have a 65 inch ST30 and absolutely love it, but that's a pretty big size difference, and if you think you're up to the black level mod, I think the LG is probably a good option for you.

I sit 8ish feet from my set. Trust me, 6.5 won't be too close for a 50 inch set.

HTPC: I3 2100, Radeon 6950.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P42st30 42 Inch 1080p 3d Plasma Hdtv , Lg 50 Inch Plasma 50pv450c
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page