2 questions about 2012 Panasonic Plasmas re: SmartViera and 4:3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 10-04-2012, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Hi,

I have a Panasonic 50UT50 and use the SmartViera functionality for Netflix. My wife has taken to watching a bunch of shows that are only offered in 4:3. Netflix displays these in full 4:3 mode, with black pillar boxes on each side (my preferred method, I hate any kind of zoom/cropping), but since the wife is not sensitive to image quality like I am, and some of these shows from the 90's look like crap anyway, I'd rather zoom them for more even wear since the TV is still new (probably not even 100 hours yet). Two issues:

1) The zoom button the Panasonic remote does not seem to work in SmartViera/Netflix - is this normal? I have the latest firmware.

2) I cannot change the brightness/colour of the 4:3 pillar boxes, the option is greyed out in the menu when in SmartViera mode (it also seems to be grayed out when I switched to HDMI input from my WDTV Live). What's going on, how can I force that setting?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 10-04-2012, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 58
On my 50ST30 it won't format the screen using the internal apps like it does when when using it in tv mode. I'd think the ST50 would be the same. It just has a few choices and sometimes won't fill the screen. My boxee box does fine so you may have to use another source player like a BD player or roku/wd live/ boxee.
post #3 of 5 Old 10-04-2012, 02:06 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Yes it appears normal that the aspect control doesn't work within Smart Viera Connect Apps.
The individual apps would need to support their own aspect ratio control it seems.
An alternative is to use an external device for smart internet app functions such as a Panasonic Blu-Ray Player with similar Viera Connect apps.
Then you are going thru one of the HDMI inputs on the TV and can use the TV's aspect controls for FULL, JUST, 4:3 (with selectable side bar gray shade), or ZOOM settings
post #4 of 5 Old 10-11-2012, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Thanks guys, no idea why Panasonic chose this, very annoying.

I actually bought an older generation WDTV Live used from a friend, and it doesn't support Netflix. I thought it would be fine since I would just use the TV app, but my wife seems to be watching a lot of 4:3 stuff so I'm a bit worried. Might upgrade to a never WDTV Live box and stop using the Smart Viera completely, we will see.
post #5 of 5 Old 10-11-2012, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 311
Smart TV is more often then not stupid TV. biggrin.gif I have a 2010 wifi Panny BD player which offers the older Netflix interface. No DD, and I can't even browse titles outside my cue. I have access to about 8 channels. rolleyes.gif I added a Roku box and now I have access to hundreds of channels and the latest features. No more complaints.

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page