Panasonic 65VT50 questions - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 10-05-2012, 08:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Im on the market for a 65VT50 but have a few quick questions....

Is the panel the same for the VT/GT/ST series? Whats the difference between these models?

Is it worth it / necessary to have it professionally calibrated and do a "break in"?

If so, Im assuming that Value Electronics (http://www.*********************/) is a reputable company to do this? They are certified IPS? Ive heard good things about them and just want to check.

Also, where on Long Island or NY City area is a good place to a find a good deal on a 65VT50? Value Electronics has them in stock for about $3200-$3300, plus a $500 break in and calibration charge but from what Ive read there are ALOT better deals out there?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 10-05-2012, 09:04 AM

Liked: 15
No the panels are different. Differences in features are shown here if you scroll down about a third...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00752VLSG/

Does it add up to about $1,000 difference btw the VT and ST?
Possibly. See the review here => http://reviews.*******************.com/panasonic-plasma-tv/panasonic-tcp65vt50.html

Here's the punchline...

Black Level and Contrast
The black levels in the TC-P65VT50 are excellent and deeply saturated thanks to the Infinite Black Pro panel with the Infinite Black Ultra filter. This is the best panel Panasonic has to offer and blacks are around 20% more saturated in this model than in the next model series down (with the Infinite Black Panel but no Ultra filter in the ST50). This panel also contains more louvered filtering to allow light in from ambient in room sources, but not allow it to escape. This feature actually works well. The TC-P65VT50 displays a lot less glare off the screen than almost any other TV we have tested.

If your using this panel in a "man cave", and the other differences aren't important to you, perhaps the ST will sufice.rolleyes.gif
post #3 of 7 Old 10-05-2012, 09:25 AM - Thread Starter

TY for the info!

BTW, who is the "we" in the statement you made about "best XYZ of all panels we tested"?
post #4 of 7 Old 10-05-2012, 09:54 AM

Hey there Dawg,

I'm actually returning a VT50 for another this evening due to issues appearing to be coming from a faulty transformer/ps issue on the unit.

In answer to your question , the GT and VT are using the same panel, the ST has a different one. These are using a higher color gradation scaling (24,000? somewhere around there). Significantly higher than the ST panel. The VT also has some other differences, like a dualcore processor (mainly for internet apps) and a louver system to aid with brighter ambient lighting issues. If you have the money to spend on it the VT is a better unit, but by no means is the GT a slouch.

I've been looking at the VT series for awhile and still even with the PS issue feel it's a great tv. There's quite a few people (much more experienced than I) that would agree.

There are some things to look out for on this unit. One of them is a "buzzing", but this can also be misdiagnosed by loud fans. I am able to hear clearly the buzz from 25' away. Clearly a defect in my particular TV. One way to tell is use a toothpick to stop one of the fans in the back and see if the noise goes away. The second thing appears to be an issue with the panel manufacturing where there is a "band" located on the right side of the screen. It is believed this is coming from rollers on the assembly line contaminating the panel and leaving a residue which results in uneven pixel excitement. Thats something that is never going to be fixed if you get a unit like that (outside of swapping it out). Easy way to check for that is burn a USB stick with burn.

Outside of that... not a bad tv choice...
post #5 of 7 Old 10-05-2012, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:

Not sure why the link given is hokey, but this link should work.

That which may be known of God is evident within man, for God has shown it to them, so that they are without excuse. (Romans 1:19-20)
post #6 of 7 Old 10-05-2012, 11:01 AM

Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by upinsmoke View Post

Hey there Dawg,
I'm actually returning a VT50 for another this evening due to issues appearing to be coming from a faulty transformer/ps issue on the unit.
In answer to your question , the GT and VT are using the same panel, the ST has a different one. These are using a higher color gradation scaling (24,000? somewhere around there). Significantly higher than the ST panel. The VT also has some other differences, like a dualcore processor (mainly for internet apps) and a louver system to aid with brighter ambient lighting issues. If you have the money to spend on it the VT is a better unit, but by no means is the GT a slouch.
I've been looking at the VT series for awhile and still even with the PS issue feel it's a great tv. There's quite a few people (much more experienced than I) that would agree.
There are some things to look out for on this unit. One of them is a "buzzing", but this can also be misdiagnosed by loud fans. I am able to hear clearly the buzz from 25' away. Clearly a defect in my particular TV. One way to tell is use a toothpick to stop one of the fans in the back and see if the noise goes away. The second thing appears to be an issue with the panel manufacturing where there is a "band" located on the right side of the screen. It is believed this is coming from rollers on the assembly line contaminating the panel and leaving a residue which results in uneven pixel excitement. Thats something that is never going to be fixed if you get a unit like that (outside of swapping it out). Easy way to check for that is burn a USB stick with burn.
Outside of that... not a bad tv choice...

Just to clarify, the ST and GT use the same panel (Infinate Black "Pro"), the VT uses the Infinate Black "Ultra" panel. The VT and GT have a dualcore processor and the louver filter (as does the ST).

The buzzing/banding issues have only been reported on a small % of the units.

TC-P65VT50
Marantz NR1403
Bose Acoustimass 10
Panasonic BDT220 Blu Ray Player
post #7 of 7 Old 10-05-2012, 12:33 PM

yes and no. There is a 12k step difference in a ST panel. Each of the GT and VT panels have a 24k step difference. There is also the pre discharge spark that is initiated on the VT panels that the GT do not include. I'm pretty sure the panels are the same between the GT and VT, just additional processing is included in the VT series. There is a different louver system used in the VT in addition.

If that is not true, if you could point me to where that is documented I'd love to know for my own personal reasons (mainly due to owning the set and enjoy the "geeky" side of it).

GT does have a dual core processor - my bad there.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page