Settings for TC-P42X5? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 10-06-2012, 10:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I know I am asking for a lot here but maybe someone can help. I just bought this TV for my daughter and have no way to calibrate, even on the simplest basis. Is there anyone out there that might have some basic settings, or advanced for that matter, that I can try?

Jack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 10-06-2012, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Buy the Disney Wow Blu-Ray disc. It will provide you with test patterns and tips that will make calibration pretty easy.

http://www.amazon.com/Disney-WOW-World-Wonder-Blu-ray/dp/B0045ASBLG

Also, you should let the TV break in for about 150 to 200 hours before tweaking your settings. For the most accurate picture use the cinema mode. Stay away from the other modes! In the case of most entry level Panasonic's, colors are artificially boosted and the gamma is all over the place. This introduces all sorts of HD anomalies such as posterization and video noise. Properly calibrated, the standard mode is OK for live broadcasts like sports, but I wouldn't recommend it for normal viewing, especially when watching movies or TV programing that's on film.

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

post #3 of 12 Old 10-06-2012, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I've played with it a little. Getting signal ota. Watching football I actually like game mode.

Basic problem is that there are many missing video controls that are on my st30. I wonder if getting into the service menu would allow more tuning.

Jack
post #4 of 12 Old 10-06-2012, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 59
I am about to buy another tv for light use in another room. Let me know how this all goes, thanks. I saw a green push when I was at Sears compared to the 50x5 and think a service mode adjustment would help a lot.
post #5 of 12 Old 10-06-2012, 03:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB View Post

I've played with it a little. Getting signal ota. Watching football I actually like game mode.
Basic problem is that there are many missing video controls that are on my st30. I wonder if getting into the service menu would allow more tuning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whipit View Post

I am about to buy another tv for light use in another room. Let me know how this all goes, thanks. I saw a green push when I was at Sears compared to the 50x5 and think a service mode adjustment would help a lot.

I wouldn't advise it unless you really know what you're doing. Even service menu tweaks aren't going to help a lot. Cinema meets the closest standards in terms of gamma, grey scale tracking and color accuracy. It will get you the best results once you calibrate it. The gaming, custom and standard modes may offer a bit more pop, especially when it comes to gaming and or sports broadcasts, but they will look like crap on most other sources even if you manage to fine tune them a bit. I have a Panny C-2 which has a similar panel and I've have spend countless hours toying with it.

Ian

post #6 of 12 Old 10-06-2012, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks Ian, I really apreciate your thoughts and enjoy reading your responces over the years. Good stuff man:) keep it coming.
post #7 of 12 Old 10-06-2012, 04:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post

I wouldn't advise it unless you really know what you're doing. Even service menu tweaks aren't going to help a lot. Cinema meets the closest standards in terms of gamma, grey scale tracking and color accuracy. It will get you the best results once you calibrate it. The gaming, custom and standard modes may offer a bit more pop, especially when it comes to gaming and or sports broadcasts, but they will look like crap on most other sources even if you manage to fine tune them a bit. I have a Panny C-2 which has a similar panel and I've have spend countless hours toying with it.
Ian

The problem is that the only calibration you can do is to use disk like wow and adjust contrast, brightness, color, and hue. That's almost insignificant.

Jack
post #8 of 12 Old 10-06-2012, 10:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The problem is that the only calibration you can do is to use disk like wow and adjust contrast, brightness, color, and hue. That's almost insignificant.

You said you couldn't calibrate the set even on the simplest basis. Using test patterns is not insignificant in my book. You can also use the Spears and Munsil Pro, but I doubt you will have much better luck. The X5 is an entry level TV and it doesn't have the flexibility of controls that are offered in the higher end sets. This includes the amount of tweaking that can be done in the service menu even by a trained tech. If you consider my suggestions you will be able to get the most out of that TV, without a professional calibration, which would probably have limited results. Good luck.

Ian

post #9 of 12 Old 10-07-2012, 05:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm curious as to what issue you are trying to calibrate out of the tv. In other words what's it doing wrong?
post #10 of 12 Old 10-07-2012, 07:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whipit View Post

I'm curious as to what issue you are trying to calibrate out of the tv. In other words what's it doing wrong?

Nothing yet. I'm one of those freaks that thinks I have to dot every i and dot every t. I know that after I went through the D-Nice process of burning in the plasma with the color slides for 100 hours and used his settings on my new st30. The improvement was overwhelming.

Jack
post #11 of 12 Old 10-07-2012, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Nothing yet. I'm one of those freaks that thinks I have to dot every i and dot every t. I know that after I went through the D-Nice process of burning in the plasma with the color slides for 100 hours and used his settings on my new st30. The improvement was overwhelming.

Unlike the ST30, there's no easy fix with that set. I think you will be surprised at the results you can get by taking the time to tweek the controls that you have. My TV looked like crap right out of the box, but after break-in and using test patterns to help tune it up, it turned into a whole different set. Also, as I posted before, for most source material, the cinema mode is you best bet.

Ian wink.gif

post #12 of 12 Old 10-07-2012, 05:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the advice.

Jack
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic 42 Inch Class X5 Self Illuminating Plasma Tv Tc P42x5 Television Fast Shipping
Gear in this thread - P42x5 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page