Advice needed...bright spots on new st50 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 10-07-2012, 08:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If this has been posted elsewhere on the forums, my apologies.

I received my Panny 50st50 on Tuesday and went through a 100 hour panel prep using slides. During the prep, super bright spots would occasionally show up, but then gradually fade after 15-20 of the slides. I just completed my 100 hours and turned the tv off to cool. I noticed one of the spots still slightly visible I have not hooked the tv up yet to any input device to see if the spots show up during regular viewing since I'm concerned this is a issue that will require me to return the tv. I've attached a few images of the spots. Any, and all advice, would very much be appreciated on this. Are these bad pixels? Something that will go away as viewing hours increase? Anyone else have this problem? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 10-07-2012, 08:54 AM

Return it ASAP. Def. not normal. I have the ST50 as well, never had that issue or any other issues thus far. No sense trying to decipher, pick apart, or do an 'electronic forensic analysis' as to why... just get a new one.
post #3 of 6 Old 10-07-2012, 09:19 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for replying aznnorth, that's what I'm leaning towards doing. One of those spots has completed disappeared and the other is very, very faint. So faint that you don't notice in when watching most content, but when it's a dark scene or something dark is over that location, you can see the faint shadow of those spots. It's almost as if the pixels burned too bright and there is now burn in. I'm running to IR slide to see if that fixes the issue before I contact Amazon about exchanging it for a new set.
post #4 of 6 Old 10-07-2012, 10:03 AM

One of the reasons I did my deal with a local authorized dealer... I didnt want to deal with the hassle of taking apart the set, re-packaging, deal with shipping labels, etc. Amazon is basically the standard price all dealers look at these days when closing a sale. Most will match or break amazon's price by a few percent (usually 10% the difference) in order to close the deal. What's also good about my local dealer is that in the exchange period (usually 15 days on average - some longer but rare) if there's any legit reason for a return THEY come to the house, help package it up, return it, and then deliver the new model. I should say it's a mom and pop shop. Yes, some still give the rare service that large brick n mortars or online services dont. In fact, they said if there's any service issues required within the first yr warranty they would physically pick up the set, service it, and return the tv. Of course being an authorize panny service contractor as well, helps... Point being one should check around their local dealers and they may be surprised some still offer personal service that makes that extra plus grade over large retailers and online outfits where you're just a number.
post #5 of 6 Old 10-07-2012, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter

I looked at buying this set locally, but no one carried it in the store. Not Best Buy, not Sears, no local electronics stores, etc. so it basically left me with online ordering. I did speak with a rep from Amazon this morning, and after about a 5 minute phone call, I have a new set on the way, to be delivered Wednesday with the delivering company taking the defective tv with them. No muss, no fuss whatsoever. I just had to put it back in the box, which took about 15 minutes since I had to take apart the stand. Fingers crossed this one shows up without issue. Just bummed I spent 5 days getting it prepped and now have to start over again.
post #6 of 6 Old 10-07-2012, 01:53 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by northernsoul15 View Post

I looked at buying this set locally, but no one carried it in the store. Not Best Buy, not Sears, no local electronics stores, etc. so it basically left me with online ordering. I did speak with a rep from Amazon this morning, and after about a 5 minute phone call, I have a new set on the way, to be delivered Wednesday with the delivering company taking the defective tv with them. No muss, no fuss whatsoever. I just had to put it back in the box, which took about 15 minutes since I had to take apart the stand. Fingers crossed this one shows up without issue. Just bummed I spent 5 days getting it prepped and now have to start over again.

I recommend to you what I did - when the delivery guys deliver the new set, have them wait and and you should plug in the new TV standing in the box (don't have to put it on the stand yet) and test the display quickly using the internal media player with a SD card or USB flash drive with the gray slides, looking for any uniformity issues. Only takes a minute.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page