Ok I have a new Panasonic Plasma why does my Sat box tell me I do not have 3D? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 10-07-2012, 12:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a new Panasonic 60ut50 3D tv I also have the new DirecTV media center. All of my devices are ran with HDMI to my Yamaha HTR 6090 and then to my TV. When I try to watch any of the 3d channels the sat receiver is telling me I do not have a 3d device. Is that because of my Yamaha Receiver? I haveI guess I could go directly to the TV with the HDMI and then out to receiver with optical for audio. Just would have to buy an optical.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 10-07-2012, 01:08 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Yeah try it connected directly to the TV via HDMI, since older receivers may not support passing thru the 3D signal.
post #3 of 7 Old 10-07-2012, 01:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I suspect your receiver is not 3D compatible. If that is the case, then you need to send video over HDMI directly to your display, and audio separately to your receiver. One way to do that for BluRay movies is with a player with dual HDMI outs. Or maybe it's time to upgrade your receiver?
post #4 of 7 Old 10-07-2012, 02:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Upgrading the receiver is not an option. I'll just connect directly to the TV and then send audio to the receiver. I only have two devices and I have two inputs so I should be good. I'll probably never have a gaming system so that is no big deal. I was thinking the receiver was the bad lin but I know just enough to cause problems so I wanted some other opinions.
post #5 of 7 Old 10-08-2012, 07:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

It was the receiver. I hooked my sat receiver directly to the TV and used optical to the Yamaha for audio and now the 3D content is showing. Now I just have to get some glasses.
post #6 of 7 Old 10-11-2012, 01:03 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Is your Yamaha new enough to have ARC (Audio Return Channel)? I do a lot of gaming and to get rid of any lag I plug my PS3 and Xbox directly into the TV. With my setup, a Samsung PN60E550 and Onkyo 708, I have to plug the receiver into HDMI2 on the TV and have the game in HDMI3 (although the game doesn't matter which channel it uses). Then I had to turn "HDMI Control" on in the receiver (don't know what Yamaha calls this exactly) and viola! ARC!. This passes full surround to the receiver which Optical doesn't always do because of the copy protection garbage. The only downside, if you can call it that, is that ARC won't necessarily pass through every single type of codec out there. I haven't been able to find a list yet of which ones are down-converted to something else?
post #7 of 7 Old 10-13-2012, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I am not sure if it has arc or not. For now since I do not have any 3d glasses as of yet I'll just hook it up the old way. I don't have an extra HDMI anyway as the TV only has two. Using the digital optical is fine or I could use digital coax to the receiver from each unit for audio. Either way I'll have it working without replacing the receiver. When I bought that unit it was the top of the line HTR series Yamaha. The power supplies are top notch and it would be hard to match without getting into another higher end unit. I know there are units with all the bells and whistles plus more for less money, but when it comes to pure power not much below a grand will touch it. I have to admit I love to blast the tunes on occasion and that is where you notice it.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page