TCP60ST50 going to "static" at least once a day? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 10-08-2012, 03:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I purchased a TCP60ST50 about 2 months ago. We have an issue where it occasionally changes to "static":

This has happened with my Comcast HD-DVR on HDMI1, HDMI2, HDMI3, as well as after I swapped my Comcast HD-DVR box with another TV (same model HD-DVR from Comcast, however). I haven't yet seen it with the Panasonic blue-ray player, but we don't watch a lot of blue-ray movies. What I haven't tried: swapping the HDMI cable, asking Comcast to provide me a different model of HD-DVR box, other input types beyond HDMI.

The only solution when it "flips to static" is to power the TV off and on. The interesting thing is that if I hit MENU, it appears fine (in front of the static). The next time it happens, I am going to try to change to the blue-ray to see if it is isolated to the input.

The other thought I had is that it could possibly be a cable or power issue. I am swapping the HDMI cable now, and will be putting a UPS unit in front of the TV to condition the power as soon as I can purchase another UPS.

Any thoughts? Is this a glitch or possibly a standard protection "feature" for under-powered or HDMI/input issues?

Thanks,

-J
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 10-09-2012, 06:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrdenverco View Post

I purchased a TCP60ST50 about 2 months ago. We have an issue where it occasionally changes to "static":

This has happened with my Comcast HD-DVR on HDMI1, HDMI2, HDMI3, as well as after I swapped my Comcast HD-DVR box with another TV (same model HD-DVR from Comcast, however). I haven't yet seen it with the Panasonic blue-ray player, but we don't watch a lot of blue-ray movies. What I haven't tried: swapping the HDMI cable, asking Comcast to provide me a different model of HD-DVR box, other input types beyond HDMI.
The only solution when it "flips to static" is to power the TV off and on. The interesting thing is that if I hit MENU, it appears fine (in front of the static). The next time it happens, I am going to try to change to the blue-ray to see if it is isolated to the input.
The other thought I had is that it could possibly be a cable or power issue. I am swapping the HDMI cable now, and will be putting a UPS unit in front of the TV to condition the power as soon as I can purchase another UPS.
Any thoughts? Is this a glitch or possibly a standard protection "feature" for under-powered or HDMI/input issues?
Thanks,
-J
I used to see that on my Gt25 what resolutions are you using on your STB ? One thing that reduced it somewhat for me was always using a 1080i resolution on my dvr, I saw this with both a Time Warner box and a Tivo premiere, Have not experienced it thus far on my St30.

65VT60
55ST60
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
post #3 of 4 Old 10-09-2012, 01:52 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Yes that appears to be an HDMI connection issue, either a DVR problem or possibly an HDMI cable problem.
Might try swapping them out and see.
post #4 of 4 Old 10-10-2012, 07:35 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrdenverco View Post

Thanks,
-J

I'm having exact same issue with Panny VT30 and and Comcast HD-DVR (all other devices are fine). I'm pretty sure it an issue with the DVR and not the TV. My TV is almost a year old and I only started noticing this recently (in past few months). I'm set to 1080i. I suspect a recent DVR update (which we have no control of) as the cause as my setup has not changed (same TV, same cable, same TV firmware, etc.).

For me the frequency is not enough for me to do anything about (a couple of times a week maybe). I just turn the TV off and on and all is good. As with most my Comcast issues (i.e. reception) they just come and go, so I'm hoping this one will go soon. You could try using component cables.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page