I got my replacement 60st50 today to be exact my TC-P60ST50-2 - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 12-22-2012, 04:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

Then how do you explain the vast majority of us who have sets built from February through August (without the -2 suffix) who also have zero uniformity issues and zero IR? It's nothing more than the usual panel lottery and it's been happening for years.
Panasonic phone reps and in-store reps have very little technical knowledge about their products - and they're almost always wrong. I am astounded at how little they know about their TVs when i've talked to them. Service men do tend to know more than reps, but they don't have insider info either.
The Panasonic Insider at HDJ is high up in the product development department and is also involved in the design of the TVs as well as being in contact with the engineering department. He knows the product very well and he is always right. He specifically said the -2 suffix is just an internal designation and that there have been zero changes or improvements to the model and it should just be ignored. We'll go with what he says over a rep or service man any day wink.gif
Hi randy, I'm in the market for a 60" plasma and was trying to buy the Panasonic st50. Is it truly discontinued and if yes what in your opinion is a close replacement. What about the UT50. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2012, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked: 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdaoust View Post

Hi randy, I'm in the market for a 60" plasma and was trying to buy the Panasonic st50. Is it truly discontinued and if yes what in your opinion is a close replacement. What about the UT50. Thanks

Production of the ST50 has been discontinued, but you should still be able to find a 60st50 without too much trouble. The UT50 is a great set also but doesn't have an AR filter so if your room is not light controlled you might have some glare issues and loss of black level.

65VT60(Calibrated by Chad B)
55ST60(Calibrated by Chunon)
Darbee DVP5000
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast/I1Pro/I1D3
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
Old 12-22-2012, 08:19 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 502
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdaoust View Post

Although production on the 2012 Panasonics has ended in December, there should still be inventory available for a while thereafter but yes the supply of various models/sizes will be drying up. The new models typically become available in late March/Early April so there may be a month or two where some Panasonic models/sizes will no longer be available.

Right now, the only suitable replacement for the ST50 series would be the GT50 series (the next higher model up), or maybe a Samsung PNE6500 or PNE7000.

The UT50 is a lower model than the ST50 and lacks the ST50/GT50 Anti-Reflective Filter, and does not have the nice Pro Settings menu like the ST50/GT50 has so it can't be adjusted as accurately as the ST50/GT50 - but it still looks great. Just not as great as the ST50/GT50.

The new 2013 Panasonic models will be revealed at CES about Jan 8th, there have been hints that there will be some sort of consolidation of the mid-level lines - maybe dropping the GT series and upgrading the ST to fill the void? We'll see in a few weeks ;

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
Old 12-22-2012, 02:01 PM

Liked: 10
Thank you guys! I may wait until the newer models are released.
Happy holidays.
Old 12-22-2012, 04:43 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 36
Randy is right. luck of the draw. I have a May build date and no issues at all.