New TV... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 10-13-2012, 11:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The TV will be in a 12x21 room. We will be watching from the 12 side against the wall, so the average viewer is going to be about 9.5 to 10 feet away.

The room is normally lit, with a little sunlight, but nothing crazy. I have a 42 inch Plasma now (going in the bedroom), and as much as I love it, I am thinking I should go for an LED, but still not sure.

Most of the seats will from straight on or at a small angle.

My budget is roughly $1200 tops, and preferably a little lower.

I want size primarily, obv with quality as well.

I would prefer a 60, for example, with no 3d or no smart tv stuff, vs a 55 or 50 loaded.

Hdmi inputs aren't a big deal since I'm going to run everything through my Denon.

Anyone have any suggestions as to what to do or any specific models? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 10-14-2012, 08:47 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktrio730 View Post

The TV will be in a 12x21 room. We will be watching from the 12 side against the wall, so the average viewer is going to be about 9.5 to 10 feet away. The room is normally lit, with a little sunlight, but nothing crazy. I have a 42 inch Plasma now (going in the bedroom), and as much as I love it, I am thinking I should go for an LED, but still not sure. Most of the seats will from straight on or at a small angle. My budget is roughly $1200 tops, and preferably a little lower.
Any 60" or 55" LED you find for $1200 would not come anywhere close to the PQ of even a lower end 60" Plasma.

Quote:
I want size primarily, obv with quality as well. I would prefer a 60, for example, with no 3d or no smart tv stuff, vs a 55 or 50 loaded.....Anyone have any suggestions as to what to do or any specific models?

Two TVs immediately come to mind:

Panasonic TC-P60U50

Samsung PN60E530

These two are non-3D, but they also do not have an Anti-Reflective Filter so sunlight may be an issue.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #3 of 6 Old 10-14-2012, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked: 345
Here are the choices that I can think of the top of my head that fit within your budget.....If you can go higher obviously you have more choices.....

Samsung:
60" E550

Panasonic:
60" UT50

Those are probably your best bang for the buck Plasma 60" sets that are 1200 or below......If you go LED especially for your price point the image will obviously suffer as it will be a lower end model, some care little about shadow detail, clouding, uniformity, ect so a low cost LCD (LED) could be another choice for you...
post #4 of 6 Old 10-14-2012, 10:22 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 52
Quote:

The TV will be in a 12x21 room. We will be watching from the 12 side against the wall, so the average viewer is going to be about 9.5 to 10 feet away...... I want size primarily, obv with quality as well. I would prefer a 60,.....

Thoroughly enjoy our Pan Plasmas. Latest is a 60ST50, but agree that the UT50 & Samsung E550 might the sleeper panels for 2012, if either fits your budget.

IF dipping below those on the price range, would also look at the LG PA6500 or PM6700 as sets that provide a lot of panel size & features for their price, albeit with PQ that might be a step below the other models listed.

One Other Consideration: You give viewing distance as 9.5 - 10 feet. What are your Sources for programming?

At a 9ft viewing distance, Blu-rays and HDDVDs (yep, have a handful...) often look STUNNING on the 60" ST50.
But that size panel, at that distance, does an Excellent Job at showing off whatever FLAWS exist in the source material. The result is that SD DVDs, and much of the so-called "HD TV" programming, range from "Very Good" PQ all the way down to HORRIBLE!
And Streaming Movies (although our experience has been limited to Amazon HD), range from Mediocre to Disappointing....

Moving back to a 12 foot viewing distance helps considerably, but we frequently will choose to watch "HD TV" programs on our 50" set (which looks great at around 10 - 11 feet).

Your Eyes & Sensitivity to PQ Glitches will vary, of course - but jumping from a 42" to a 60" will "enhance" the visibility of whatever flaws exist in your source materials.
post #5 of 6 Old 10-14-2012, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
From what I got from your post, the larger the more flaws? So would I be better off going a little smaller? I used one of those calculators for calculating what size tv I should get, but I didn't really understand what it was saying.

What would you recommend for tv for that view of 9.5 to 10 feet?
post #6 of 6 Old 10-14-2012, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked: 345
Quote:

From what I got from your post, the larger the more flaws? So would I be better off going a little smaller? I used one of those calculators for calculating what size tv I should get, but I didn't really understand what it was saying.
What would you recommend for tv for that view of 9.5 to 10 feet?

Thats not whats being said wink.gif Dierkdr was pointing out that with larger screens you will notice flaws in the source more than you would if you had a smaller TV. The closer you sit, the more obvious the flaws not only in the source, but the panel (Plasma\LCD) as well. If your viewing will be mostly HDTV and Blu-rays I dont think youll have much to worry about..If you watch a lot of SDTV and DVDs then you mioght want to consider a TV that either does a better job a processing those sources, be preparred to live with them until you get HD sources, or lastly get a smaller set so they will be less noticible.

Put the Screen at a point where you feel comfortable, that could be closer or farther away smile.gif let your eyes be the judge and youll be happy, afterall its you buying\watching the TV not us...
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page